What to do different during flowering?

KarlJay

Now that I'm in the flowering stage, I need to know what to do differently.

I already know the light cycle is 12/12
The nutes changed
The light color temp changes until the last week or two
No spray watering on the leaves because that could cause mold
keep RH below 50% ?
add molasses to the soil

During the veg cycle, I trimmed the fan leaves several times to get light down to lower parts of the plant. I understand that all the leaves produce or contribute to the final yield or is used in making hash or other products.

I've heard some say they trimmed on day 21 of flowering, but doesn't that take away from the amount of hash/oil or other side products that you'll get?

So other than getting lights to the lower parts of the plant, is there any reason to trim the fan leaves?

I know this is kind of a wide open topic, but I'm just looking for a guide about whet to do and not to do.

Well some believe (keep in mind this is not fact either way, its more opinion based), that the plan will put more energy into the buds if they take off all the leaves.

Cant say I am one of those people but thats a big reason many do and it sort of coincides with the light to lower parts of canopy (which is true and is just logical).

Well some believe (keep in mind this is not fact either way, its more opinion based), that the plan will put more energy into the buds if they take off all the leaves.

Cant say I am one of those people but thats a big reason many do and it sort of coincides with the light to lower parts of canopy (which is true and is just logical).
I concur on the light to lower parts of canopy, and I know when you trim a plant, more energy goes into other parts... but don't the leaves contain trichs and THC?

From what I understand, all but the stems have THC. Buds have fan leaves 'interwoven' in them (I think), so they would have value.

One other thing is that leaves are used to convert light to sugar, less leaves, less conversion. It might be a case of, if you have the amount of light and it's getting where it can be used, then trimming would be a bad idea. If you have more limited light, trimming might be a better idea.

general differences between veg and flower.

humidity veg = 50-80% flower = 30-50%
lights veg = blue-transition (first two weeks of flower) = blue-true flowering = red- last week = red and blue if possible, red and UV is better
flush and no nutes last 2 weeks of of flower, possibly no water for the last week of flower and no light for the last half week of flower (all to do with manipulating the plants last dash effort to get pollinated ergo more bud and resin, but clean and dry to start the curing proccess well)

as to defoliation.

pretty much do as you please during veg, but i hear more than 25% of leaves at one time will cause a large shock...during flower a lot of us advise cutting leaves off...all the fan leaves generally do not end up in product. its easy to tell what to keep and what not to keep. usefull leaves are all puffy and coated in crystals. ordinary leaves are pretty redundant for flowering stage with an INDOOR crop.

think of it like this, the sun has massive penetration. indoor lights do not.
the leaves are meant to carry the energy to the flowers using the whole plant as the energy system, but this has an overhead in energy. flowers are not quite as good as leaves at collecting energy, but they only have to feed themselves. meaning MUCH more of the light gets used for bud growth rather than being spent on the internal energy merry go round.

however the gains from directly exposing bud sites is countered by the shock of plucking leaves during flower, which is why its reccomended to do only once really and day 21 is a good time to do it.

i have used a bit of creative licence in the explination. i dont know the exact energy mechanics inside the plant, but my story kinda explains the reasoning. =)

Now that I'm in the flowering stage, I need to know what to do differently.

I already know the light cycle is 12/12
The nutes changed
The light color temp changes until the last week or two
No spray watering on the leaves because that could cause mold
keep RH below 50% ?
add molasses to the soil

During the veg cycle, I trimmed the fan leaves several times to get light down to lower parts of the plant. I understand that all the leaves produce or contribute to the final yield or is used in making hash or other products.

I've heard some say they trimmed on day 21 of flowering, but doesn't that take away from the amount of hash/oil or other side products that you'll get?

So other than getting lights to the lower parts of the plant, is there any reason to trim the fan leaves?

I know this is kind of a wide open topic, but I'm just looking for a guide about whet to do and not to do.

Yeah Gigs, pretty much finished it up for ya. I like that he pointed out for the most part the defol theories are for indoor. A major reason besides light pen, is that outdoor those leaves serve to protect the buds too. Its not a concern indoors where plants live like at a 5 star resort. But outdoors winds can hit 100mph, rains can be harsh, and even the neighborhood cats might thing laying around a bunch of weed knocking branches around is the coolest thing to do since chasing mice. Little furry bastards love my garden cause I think myself and the dude who lives directly behind me are the only ones with real gardens in backyard on the entire block.

Back
Top Bottom