What u Need to Know About CFL lighting for grows

JamaicaHerbs

so after doing alot of browsing around im just gonna compile the needed to know information and common questions about CFL lights for growing.i have not done alot of research on LED so i will not mention them, here we go:

1.What Kelvin rating to Use?
6500k or similar for Veg 2700k or similar for Flower.

2.How close to keep the lights??
I have gotten the lights as close as 1 inch to the plants,but this requires alot of air flow between the lights and plants. 2-3 inches is good in anycase.

3.can i mix the lights??
This is possible as it gives the plant a wider spectrum that it needs for growth[The sun does not emit blue or red light alone, and we need to emulate this].For the Ratio Veg is 2x 6500k + 1 2700k for flowering its the reverse[2x 2700k + 1x6500k].

4. Should i use larger more expensive bulbs like 100w or 13/26 watters?
both have there pros and cons ,higher rating bulbs = less fixtures,wiring,etc. smaller rated bulbs = more versatile to spread out around plants & more wiring , but also where 1 large 100w bulb would fail leaving ur plant in darkness, 4x smaller bulbs would 4x less likely to all fail at once giving more time to replace a faulty bulb.

5. My plants are now growing larger and not enough light is penetrating them!?!?
Try Low stress training to open the canopy or pinch/bend the stems carefully with Minor trimming of the Shade leaves. Also side lighting is recommended as the plants grow larger.

6. how many lights to use per plants?
As HID lights are culculated over sq.ft area. i prefer to calculate cfls by the plants size
This depends on plant size/bulb rating but as an example 1 plant 3 feet high 1.5 feet wide u would need 4 to 6 13w cfls on the canopy and another 4 13w cfl as side lighting.

7.How will my buds turn out?
This depends on how much care u put into your plants,but if grown correctly u can have a nice smoke[Not as dense as HID lighting though]

8.how many ounces would be expecting from the above plant mentioned?
a plant of that size can easily have 10-20 tops, yielding about 4-7 ounces dry.

9. what are few advantages of cfl over HID in small scale grows?
1. easy to setup.
2.low heat build up in small cabs.
3.Starts up easily after a power cut.
4.easy to replace bulbs.
5.lower chance of light burn to plants.
6.lower power cost[increases passivly, u might add 1 light every week as plant gets lager]

10.what are a few disadvantages of cf to HID lights?
1. less light penetration.
2.less effective in larger grows.
3.Less effective in colder climates.
4.Lower yield[Same plants mentioned above could give 6-13 ounces]

Feel free to add more information that i may have missed.
Thanks all

Very useful thank you!

No Problem man.

BTW i forgot to mention

Light Spectrum
Cool White Spectrum is about 5500K to 6500K
Daylight is Spectrum 2100K to 2700K

Watering
CFL do not produce much heat so the soil tends to dry alot slower.Water plants every 4 days instead of 2-3 days using this schedule:
Feed-Water-Feed-Water.I do not recommend 2 Feedings back to back.

Feeding thru Leaves
For Veg Mist the leaves both upper and under side. Spray When it is almost lights Off time as vegging plants love this cool air while they sleep. Mist once per week with a 1/4 dosage of normal miture.For flowering,Plants can be misted up untill 2 weeks from Harvest.DO NOT SPRAY ALMOST READY BUDS!
Also Mist during lights ON, So all excess moisture is dried from the air to avoid Bud Mold.If u spray buds during lights off the [RH will go over 40% and this will result in bud mold and in some cases Rot.Same 1/4 mixture will do.

you can get bigger watt bulbs 250 and 300w thru grow supply and I seen bigger @ Grainersupply I think that's the name like 700w mogle socket CFL

Very useful info! Thanks. :) Good logic, not putting all eggs in one basket (one expensive bulb, or a bunch of cheaper bulbs, cost of failure). I think I'm gonna aim for 9x 26w CFL's in my ghetto grow (for my clones from hanging garden of asteidl).

I used a 125w CFL 6400k for veg in a small closet with one plant, when it got time to flowering time i ended up buying a 100w LED panel for the canopy and a 200W CFL 2700k with a reflector for side lighting. Every time the lights came on i would turn the plant an 1/8th of a turn roughly. When i turned to 12/12 i went 7 weeks. Total growing time from seedling was 109 days till i cropped it and ended up with 2.5 oz's of some nice kush.

Back
Top Bottom