Whatcha growing outdoors next year?

andIhalped

Most of us in the northern hemisphere probably have this season's outdoor harvest in & drying or curing. But it's not too early to plan.

So, whatcha got in the chute for next season?

My lineup:

- a Lebanese landrace hybrid (supposedly has some phenos w/ relatively high CBD/THC ratios)
- a quick finishing (6-8 weeks) Purple Goat x Jack the Ripper hybrid
- Purple Goat x OG Kush hybrid
- fast finishing (6-7 weeks) Trainwreck x Mendo Purple hybrid

All from seeds this year. If I get any males, I plan on letting pollination happen w/o interference (heresy, I know).

I wish I could grow some of the old landrace strains, but their flowering time & my climate just don't mix & I try not to fight nature.

So whatcha got planned for outdoors next spring?

For me it will be 50% Royal Queen Seeds, Special Kush #1, yes it is a cheap seed but has been my main producer for 4 years now. I am outdoor gorilla style, plant in corn in late june (started indoor in April) once planted do not go back until harvest so a tough grow for the plants. I try something other than that, as I look for super plant that I have not found. Some compare to royal but. So I am going to try some other strain of Royal Queen this next year as well as Special Kush.

Really excited about this coming spring planting outside here in Northern California.

I've read so many amazing things about C99 (Cinderella 99) and huge Sativa fan, particularly old school types that have a sweet taste. Since I'm not sure which I'll favor, decided to go with the strain from G13 and the one from Female Seeds also.

C99 -G13 - Jack Herer x Haze

Cinderella 99 - Female Seeds - (Grapefruit Pheno) x Cinderella 99 (Pineapple Pheno)

Columbian Gold - World Of Seeds - Landrace Sativa

Purple Kush - Kannabia - Black Domina and Purple Kush

Afghan Kush - World Of Seeds - Landrace Indica

On a side note, I always grow from seeds. I order feminized and have only had one of the last 20+ plants be male; which I pulled.

I keep intending to do a journal but real life seems to get in the way. Hopefully this growing season I can make that happen.

Cheers -Zafu

I'm not sure yet. It depends on what clones I can find. But I'm hoping to get more Ultraviolence and Gorilla Glue.

Never have grown G. Glue, but it's my go-to strain for when I've got nothing to do & want to relax.

I just germinated five feminized White Widow seeds and a handful of seeds taken from weed I have purchased and smoked. I intend to put three white widow into the ground and two in very large containers. I'll also put three of the
other ones in large containers and hope they turn out to be female. At least with the feminized I'm pretty much sure
they'll be females.

For me it will be 50% Royal Queen Seeds, Special Kush #1, yes it is a cheap seed but has been my main producer for 4 years now. I am outdoor gorilla style, plant in corn in late june (started indoor in April) once planted do not go back until harvest so a tough grow for the plants. I try something other than that, as I look for super plant that I have not found. Some compare to royal but. So I am going to try some other strain of Royal Queen this next year as well as Special Kush.

Same style outdoor grower here, RQ special kush, and Candy Kush Express Fast. My go to strains. Excellent strains for growers who like to be done late sept, early oct. @43 deg N lat.
Very pleased last season as my candy kush express was ready mid September.
Hoping for a repeat this year, we shall see what Mother Nature throws at us this year.
Seeds go in pots next week. ‘‘Tis the season

I was going to grow just two clones of my current Ultra Violence and two GG4's. But I kind of went crazy with cloning and now I have so many that I won't be buying any GG4 clones. So, it will be three Ultra Violence clones and 1 Prism #1 clone from my current grow. I'm going to plant them in 30 gallon smart pots. Hopefully that will allow them to grow bigger than the 10 and 20 gallon plastic pots I've been using for the last few years.

You should see better results going from 10 gal to 30.
I started using smart pots @20 - 30gal years ago, now I won’t do anything less than 60gal. If I didn’t live on a farm and have equipment with unlimited supply of good compost there’s no way I could fill all them pots at this size.
It’s hard to think about this years outdoor grow, I’m still looking at 18” of snow. Ugghh
Usually buy this time I’m out prepping areas.

You should see better results going from 10 gal to 30.
I started using smart pots @20 - 30gal years ago, now I won’t do anything less than 60gal. If I didn’t live on a farm and have equipment with unlimited supply of good compost there’s no way I could fill all them pots at this size.
It’s hard to think about this years outdoor grow, I’m still looking at 18” of snow. Ugghh
Usually buy this time I’m out prepping areas.

60 gal? That's huge. How big do your plant get in that size pot?
I grow mine on my balcony. Mostly because I live up in the hills where there are lots of wild animals. The balcony on the second floor keeps them safe. My balcony is only about 15'x15'.

60gal pots will get up to 8 (or more) ft if I didn’t top them. I prefer to top my 60 gal pots, I try to keep them in the 5-6ft range and bushy. Full sun

100 gal pots are all topped, on a good yr (weather permitting of course) they can grow upwards of 6-10 ft. Full sun. The first time I planted in 100gal pots, I did not top one of the plants. That particular plant, I was standing on the second to last step of a ten foot step ladder to cut the main cola. Lol

I hear ya on the animals friend. It’s a constant battle on my farm. Chicken wire and solar electric fencing seem to drastically cut my losses.
Those clones look great in that pic btw. Good luck with those bigger pots.

60gal pots will get up to 8 (or more) ft if I didn’t top them. I prefer to top my 60 gal pots, I try to keep them in the 5-6ft range and bushy. Full sun

100 gal pots are all topped, on a good yr (weather permitting of course) they can grow upwards of 6-10 ft. Full sun. The first time I planted in 100gal pots, I did not top one of the plants. That particular plant, I was standing on the second to last step of a ten foot step ladder to cut the main cola. Lol

I hear ya on the animals friend. It’s a constant battle on my farm. Chicken wire and solar electric fencing seem to drastically cut my losses.
Those clones look great in that pic btw. Good luck with those bigger pots.
I'm going to take measurements of 60 gallon smart pots. If they will fit, I'll use them.

Green Crack, Northern Lights, White Widow and Gorilla Glue!! A nice mix of meds for anytime of the day and night!! Will start a journal, when I get them in the ground. Peace!!

Has anyone grown the dwarf feminized one in pots outside? My seeds have just germinated (after 24 hours--I love that!) so I'll carry them a little bit under the fluorescent lights with my tomatoes and basil. I want to grow this at home, outdoors, in a pot so it can be moved when the situation warrants it ....... Does it need a really big container?
Thanks!

I'm going to take measurements of 60 gallon smart pots. If they will fit, I'll use them.
I grew one GG4 from seed in ground and one in a 15 gal pot otherwise treated identically. By early June both plants had assumed amazing dense spherical shapes (like an afro) tho they differed in size. A calculation of volumes assuming a sphere, showed the potted plant thriving and verdant had less than 1/4 of the volume compared to the beauty in the ground now 4ftX4ft and starting to stretch a bit. The numbers of course are merely an approximation but the gist of it suggests to me that a pot/bag volume is a crucial variable and the bigger the better whether a pot or hole in the ground that I favor. (My 6 plant grow in San Diego is legal.)

@Oldgrowth
You are absolutely right about the larger bag/pots. This is the first year I've grown in pots this large and they have out grown my grow last year by far. Here are a couple pics from my grow last year in 15 gallon plastic pots and my grow this year in 50 gallon cloth pots. I planted last years grow in the second week of may and this years grow was also planted on the second week of may. Last years strains were Cookies, SFVOG and Sour D and this years grow is UltraViolence and GG4. So, they are all different and probably not a true valid test. But I think even with identical strains the difference would be just as obvious.

Heck, I might even go with just two plants next year in larger 4x4 raised cloth beds. The 4x4 raised beds hold about 170 gallons and have a trellis option which would be great for adding a a light filter at the top for those over 100 degree days. I have a feeling I would get a bigger yield than what I will get from four plants this year and the eight plants I grew last year. I'm even going to cheat and start the new clones indoors in late february. That way I can train them all well and keep them under a 16/8 light cycle until the first of June. Then I will plant them outside. I can only imagine what it would be like to start a couple plants outdoors that already have over 100 well trained tops. I might even have to add another support beam or two under the deck. Lol!

Last years grow on 07-09-17

This years grow on 07-1-18 over a week younger than the previous pic from last year.

One GG4 in ground at 5ft+ and stretching nicely helped me to decide. 7 fem GG4 seeds winging their way from Canada (Oh Canada!) planted in ground and legal (6 plants) Are what I aspire to in 2019. My other Hindu Kushn ladies at 6-7ft+ and stretching like crazy and 1 Wiz Khalifa (4ft and Gooey!! and starting to stack) are this year's crop. I grow as much to appreciate the grove out back as for the product.

I Can’t wait for next year, as I’m planing for outdoor jack herer, skywalker kush, and mango kush. Just hopefully that I won’t be too stone to start them indoor earlier then this year.

Attachments

• 01ED69E9-C600-4EF9-9858-AC25CEC32BE7.jpeg
    01ED69E9-C600-4EF9-9858-AC25CEC32BE7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 372
Unless you want a 10 footer, be ready to top & LST the Jack Herer. Grew it a coupla yrs ago & I did all of that & mine still hit about 7 ft. Famously tall strain that stretches more during flower than anything else I've seen. Great yielder though & stoneeee!

Back
Top Bottom