What's a lid?

Contrary to popular belief a Lid is not an ounce of weed. The coffee cans had a key like a sardine can and the Lid would be wound off the can. The Lid used to measure usually contained about 4 fingers of pot. People at that time didn't have a triple scale to weight pot.

4 fingers of pot in a sandwich bag is usually close to an oz. Back in the mid - late 70's if no scale a round/ fat 4 finger bag was considered an oz.

1 finger 1/4
2 finger 1/2
etc........A finger of weed in sandwich baggie is height of index finger all the way across the bottom of the baggie and rounded (fat).

1976 Colorado and California up north in Redding a "lid" was an oz ($40.00 for mids, Panama Red and Acapulco Gold was more... if you could find them ) and a $10.00 "dime bag" was a 1/4 oz. The movie "Up in Smoke" was 1978 so I am sure Cheech and Chong were talking about an oz.

I have heard the coffee can story before and that it was from the Vietnam era.. l8 60's early 70's.

I am not as old as the 55 mph speed limit but very close. Speed limit in Colorado is 75 mph anywho.

:peace:
WillyB

When I was Just starting to buy weed in the early mid 70s the word Lid was starting to be faded out like the word cool and groovy. I was pretty young then and got ripped off because of it, but a bag was $10 and would have whatever the dealer put in it. We always complained and the dealer would threaten to not sell to us.

Lots of different answers here.lol In Los Angelos area (Paramount, Bellflower) when I was a youngster we would buy 4 fingered lids for $20.00. No stems or seeds included. They called them four fingered lids because they were measured by a person flattening the bag out to about a inch thick and it being about 4 fingers worth high in the baggie. Dealers aalways had their ladies fill the bags because the bags were smaller that way.lol Man does that bring back memories.lol

Racefan Paramount, Bellflower,Snow White Dairy, A&W Rootbeer, STREET RACING!!!
20.00 lids, YOUR A OLD FART TOO. we had the same 60 & 70's haunts. LOL!!!

much peace to you bro

In the movie Up In Smoke, they actually do refer to a "lid" as an ounce. Hence why Tommy Chong says "Hey man we smoked that whole lid and Ive barely even got a buzz" I have watched this movie more times than i could hope to count. Classic stoner entertainment. I know a lot of people from the 60's era, and they still refer to an ounce as a "lid"

In the late 60's and 70's, a "Lid", was an ounce of weed in a spit licked baggie. Good Mex weed went for $10 a lid or ounce. LB's sold for $90 - $110 (pound) depend how good your supplier was. A joint of good Mexican would get 4 people buzzing and stoned.

airplane

OMG... that brings back the memories... we used to use our fingers instead of scales back then. Anyone remember the 5 finger lid?

When I used to buy lids back in the 70's the term was used because nobody had baggies the lids could be as small as a $5 lid.

A lid is what could be stacked on a folgers coffee can "Lid". When leveled off the buyer expected to get between 3 and four fingers. I know this as my parents sold buddage in the late 60's early 70's in Texas. They where known to give 4 finger Lids.

a "lid" was just a bag of pot,,, 3 or 4 fingers was a way of saying how big of lid you got..

it sucks to get old,,,,,lol

Cho: whatchyea doin man?
Che: I'm selling my bike man.
Cho: what for man?
Che: i gonna buy a lid man
Cho: far out dude. whats a lid?
Che: it's pot man. what's a matter with you? you must be stoned or something, man...
Cho: yeah but what's a lid?
Che: I just told you! it's a bag of pot dude. what's a matter with you?
Cho: i thought a lid was on a can
Che: man your really stupid or somethin. everyone knows that a lid is an once of pot!
Cho: really? cool....
Che: yeah, shut up now, I gotta clean my bike.
Cho: what for dude?
Che: wow man you forgot already?
Cho: forgot what?

A lid is just a bag of pot. Not necessarily an ounce. But that's all I can remember... dude.:smokin:

I asked my uncle who has been a friend of the smoke for years. Kinda like Willie Nelson. He said he never owned a scale, he went by fingers, or a lid. you would have a coffee lid pile on the buds in a pyramid shape until no more would stay on. move the buds from the table, then put the bugs in your bag. And you are done. He said the term is out dated as new terms have popped up.

OMG, I can't believe you guys think a "lid" is an ounce...LOL

You had one, two, three & four finger lids. But, I never called it lids.

I was born in the 60's and was born & raised in Manhattan NY. I still reside in NYC.

When I started smoking weed in the late 70's & 80's. We had bags called Tre' Bags ($3 bags) that came in small yellow manila envelopes. So, if 3 people chipped in a buck each, you'd buy a $3 bag and it was enough weed to make 5 spliffs and or keep several people stoned all night.

Then we had the nickel bags in a bigger small manila envelope, when you dumped it out, it was a huge pile of weed that would last for awhile. We called them "pillow bags."

In the part of NYC I lived in, you bought the weed at weed spots that was a hole in the wall of an abandoned store shop or a vacant building. So, if the cops came....the seller was behind a cinderblock wall. But, the cops really didn't care. You could drink, roll and smoke openly.

Other stuff like junk and angel dust was sold through a hole in the wall. Now, we live in a police state. So, all those spots are gone, as all the real-estate has been sold and renovated. Nowadays, it's no longer a crime to have weed in NYC. It's only a violation...so no handcuffs, just a ticket and even a ticket is not really given out.

They didn't care about weed 30+ years ago (when you could get cuffed). So, now they don't waste their time. Unless you got some overzealous rookie cop that's too scared to be a real cop.

So, that's my addition. :)

Back
Top Bottom