What's In Jim's Grow Room?

A couple of weeks ago I had asked Nismo12 when to start the Silver Thiosulfate Solution (STS) which is used to transform the female to male. Although I was prepared to begin I just forgot. The girls went into the bloom tent Monday and now it's Saturday. So I'm a few days behind on my project. Sure hope I haven't screwed the pooch.

The Silver Thiosulfate solution is made by mixing Silver Nitrate and Sodium Thiosulfate

DSC_052211.JPG

NO METAL SPOONS, MIXERS OR CONTAINERS

Using Nismo12's formula:

Step 1. Mix 1g Silver Nitrate with 60 ml of distilled water and stir

Step 2. Mix 6.25g Sodium Thiosulfate with 240 ml of distilled water and stir

Step 3. Mix the 2 solutions above stirring rapidly. You'll see a slight reaction as the solution changes from cloudy to clear.

You now have a somewhat concentrated solution of Silver Thiosulfate (STS)

Then all you do is spray the chosen one.

The original spray was suggested 5 parts distilled water to 1 part STS; however, further use by Heirloom suggested that it could be diluted 7 or 8 to 1. Chose your own level of confidence here.

For me, I sprayed 5:1 out doors so she can dry comfortably in the shade.

The Reversal Candidate

IMG_48395.JPG

IMG_48408.JPG

Team Blue Dream

DSC_071311.JPG

Temperature is expected to be in the 90s F here today and it's been in the 80s all week. I've got to figure out how to get some cooler air to the girls and route their exhaust outside my house some how. I guess if I have to cut a hole somewhere, it might as well be in a closet. :rofl:

Temperature is expected to be in the 90s F here today and it's been in the 80s all week. I've got to figure out how to get some cooler air to the girls and route their exhaust outside my house some how. I guess if I have to cut a hole somewhere, it might as well be in a closet. :rofl:

I feel ya.
It is gonna be hot and humid, well it has been humid for days. I am fixin ta think about more intake and exhausts. : - )

:goodluck: with the blue dreams. You should be knee deep in seeds soon.

nice looking garden Jim! I too did my first spray of STS last thursday and am hoping this is gonna work...same recipe as you (except am using anhydrous sodium thiosulphate so am using 1.56 times less as per the recipe on Nis & CM's page). Doesn't seem to have burned the plant. If successful we should have good news around the same time :goodluck:

nice looking garden Jim! I too did my first spray of STS last thursday and am hoping this is gonna work...same recipe as you (except am using anhydrous sodium thiosulphate so am using 1.56 times less as per the recipe on Nis & CM's page). Doesn't seem to have burned the plant. If successful we should have good news around the same time :goodluck:

Interesting. Are you reversing a SLH? Feel free to post pics here.

Morning Jim. Thanks for the weather heads up. I don't pay much attention, and yesterday didn't turn out to be the scorcher they projected, so I thought maybe I dreamed that concern. I'll get the air conditioners up and ready to go.

Exciting times, reversal underway. :slide: Best of luck to you. There's no looking back now, you're gonna get hooked on this breeding thing, I can sense it. :laughtwo:

Interesting. Are you reversing a SLH? Feel free to post pics here.

Yes am trying to reverse a regular feminised SLH plant. After several failed attempts at reversing with colloidal silver (these regular SLHs seem incredibly resistant to reverse sexing with the colloidal silver solution - although I have had success with the SLH autos), I decided to give the STS a shot. I started with a healthy 6 week plant. Have never posted pics before but will be happy to upload a few showing (hopefully) progress over the next 3-4 weeks. Will be following your diary with interest.

P.S. You may have noticed from my name that I like Sativa-dominant strains. Sounds like Blue Dream is my sort of plant. I want to try it on my next grow but clones aren't an option for me (is the clone only version so different from the HSO seeds?). Also, what is your experience of the average flower time? I see a lot of sativa-dominant strains advertised as average 63 days flower but I always let my SLHs go at least 70 days...

Yesterday I decided to begin a nutrient program to maximize flower production. I have no visions of high yield here because of pot size but I'll just give it my best otherwise. Next grow gets my new 7 gallon softies. They have handles too....really excited about that simple addition.

I use Fox Farms trio and mixed Grow Big, Big Bloom and Tiger Bloom all at 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon and spread one gallon to the girls yesterday. pH up used to adjust pH to 6.14. My target pH has become 6.3 as it seems to work well with my soil mix but a little higher or lower is acceptable in my world.

Blue Dream Team

DSC_071616.JPG

Feeble attempt at close ups of the very beginnings of bud development

DSC_071814.JPG

DSC_072118.JPG

Yes am trying to reverse a regular feminised SLH plant. After several failed attempts at reversing with colloidal silver (these regular SLHs seem incredibly resistant to reverse sexing with the colloidal silver solution - although I have had success with the SLH autos), I decided to give the STS a shot. I started with a healthy 6 week plant. Have never posted pics before but will be happy to upload a few showing (hopefully) progress over the next 3-4 weeks. Will be following your diary with interest.

P.S. You may have noticed from my name that I like Sativa-dominant strains. Sounds like Blue Dream is my sort of plant. I want to try it on my next grow but clones aren't an option for me (is the clone only version so different from the HSO seeds?). Also, what is your experience of the average flower time? I see a lot of sativa-dominant strains advertised as average 63 days flower but I always let my SLHs go at least 70 days...

High again SLH. These clones and previous 2 clones came from a HSO seed grown mother. I still have the mom and a Panama mom in the veg tent. Both were thirsty this morning and not very photogenic at the moment. I'm still searching for a sunny outdoor spot for them.

Blue Dream Mom on left with her Panama tent mate

DSC_067616.JPG

Mom was harvested at 63 days and the clones came in at 64 days. I tend to harvest when I see amber for a couple days.

Humboldt Seed Organization - Blue Dream

From Breeder: This cross of Blueberry and Haze is known for its very pleasant fruity- tangy- earthy taste, blue color, and strong and lasting, mixed mind and body high. The high starts with a sativa high and finishes around 3 hours later with a relaxing indica like muscle easing and pain killing effect.

It is one of the favorites in California and in fact it is among the top ten most demanded strains in the US, which gives a good measure about the quality of this jewel. Taste is described by users as sweet, tangy, lemony, and earthy. Produces big plants that grow fast and wide, and it is appropriate for commercial purposes.

:bongrip: Mixture of 2/3 Pineapple Express and 1/3 Blue Dream in my bowl this morning. Sweet!

Cool Jim! I want to get started on breeding as well. Just need to get my hands on another tent first. I'll tag along your journey and learn some stuff

Cool Jim! I want to get started on breeding as well. Just need to get my hands on another tent first. I'll tag along your journey and learn some stuff

High DeVille.....glad to have you on board.

I gave the clones straight water this morning after I had bubbled it overnight. I usually try to follow a nutrient feeding with water/water if that makes sense. The girls are all showing pistils so I'll count this as Day 1. Stretch has been 5 inches since 12/12 which is now 10 days.

Team

DSC_074112.JPG

Pistils

DSC_073620.JPG

I added some duct pipe from the A/C floor vent, followed by a tee and some more duct pipe to the veg tent. Kinda ghetto but it has reduced temps by about 4o F.

DSC_073521.JPG

Have a great day folks.

Hi Jim, nice pics! Are you not counting flowering days from the day you switch to 12/12 ? If not, I am curious as to why...

Yes...I count flowering days from the time I have pistils beginning on (usually) all plants. It actually makes my plants' flower days closer to breeder information on flowering time. It's just the way I've always understood breeder information and I believe I first saw this on Graytail's journal.

I could easily be wrong here. I claim expert status on nothing.

That's interesting. I always counted from the day I switch to 12/12

Yes...I count flowering days from the time I have pistils beginning on (usually) all plants. It actually makes my plants' flower days closer to breeder information on flowering time. It's just the way I've always understood breeder information and I believe I first saw this on Graytail's journal.

If you are happy with your end product then you're expert enough... :high-five:
I haven't heard of that - I will look up Graytail's journal. When I started growing I would get very confused by when the first day of flower should be counted from....so I kept records of my first few flowering periods and noted that counting from switch to 12/12 seemed to bring them in line (almost exactly) to the breeders' flowering time information. I go to the Netherlands every summer (wife is Dutch) so I almost always go and visit the Dutch Passion HQ when I am there. They confirmed that counting should be from day of switch to 12/12. I only generally use seeds from The Green House or Dutch Passion - nearly every strain I have grown from them has been spot on in terms of advertised flowering days (from switch to 12/12). The latest batch that I switched over a week ago already had started to produce pre-flowers (with nice pistils) at the end of veg (seed to end of veg was 47 days)....maybe it's the strain. Anyway..off to do the second week of STS spray....(hows it going with the plant you are turning - see any changes yet?)

Hi MagicJim, do you count your auto flower time the same way? I have a og Kush that just started to show pistils on day 30 with a breeder life of 70 days so your way would be more fitting. I just don't see this plant being done in 40 days.
I'm going to keep track for this plant and then next grow I'll give it a go with the whole tent. Doesn't hurt to try, thanks for the cool idea!

:blunt::wood:

Back
Top Bottom