What's the consensus? Trim fresh at harvest or trim after drying?

Yeah I don't think I will be doing an excessive trim that's for sure. Due to that exact reason shiggityflip. When the small sugar leaves are covered in just as much trichs as the bud, why cut it lol ?

I also think it makes a statement. A lot of buds have crappy sugar leaves so cutting them off makes sense. When you grow bud so covered in trichs that the sugar leaves are ridiculous, leaving them on is like daring someone to ask why you didn't trim them. When trichomes are super super ridiculous I may leave the small sugar covered fans too. My response is always, "Which ones are the ones you don't want to smoke? Which ones are the ones you would want to get rid of because they don't look perfect?" If they still complain I tell them to trim off the sugar leaves and take a hit of just sugar leaves. Then get back to me on whether they should be trimmed or not. No one has come back on that one. Taking a super trichome sugar leaf only bong hit is the best way to get completely obliterated.

Large fans leaves are cut. Everything else stays until dried enough to my liking and ready for the the jar. As previously stated, it's a slower more even dry for me as I dry my girls in the same room the veg and flower tents are,hanging from the veg tent in fact. I think environment should be taking into consideration when harvest arrives also. Bud size,density re also determining factors some buds dry down faster and more evenly than others. Humidity levels in the the dry area will dictate the process. I find in my room, If i keep the humidity at 50-58% my buds will be ready to jar in 5-7 days. I've found, if I take everything off(manicure right off the bat) besides sugar leaves/trim the buds dry waay too fast and don't keep the terp profile they had when freshly cut. It's easier to trim yeah but at wha cost? Also, i'm not in it for the bag appeal. The end result is all I seek. I never understood why people wouldn't want all those trich coated leaves bought or not. Are there really folks out there that will pass on a bag of goodies because the buds had sugary leaf still attached? I'd assume with all the concentrate craze about, trichs are thee mist desired,not the buds themselves. Again, I could be missing something. Justa stoner thought.
StayFrosty
CanEyeBus

Tell ya what I do, when I give away meds, or smoke with friends and fam, I always rip out un manicured buds. We vape the trim before rolling the rest. Never a complaint. Some, prefer the vaped trim over the combusted plant. The only people to get manicured buds if they do get a hold of some of my gear are the people that don't know I cultivate. I've been told some of my garden had made it outside of my circle.

I agree with all of you as long as you're just talking about smoking, but I trim the sugar leaves and use them to make edibles and hash. By reading up on how to do it here on this site I'm getting results worth sacrificing some sugar leaves for. I recently did my first batch of really effective brownies, and I can't wait till my next harvest so I can do it again.

Brownies! Yum! :thumb:

I found this thread here and followed Xlr8's directions pretty closely. I didn't have a candy thermometer so I just kept it below boiling, and I didn't have a double-boiler so I heated water in a pot and let a smaller pot rest inside it, held off the bottom by the handle. I only simmered the oil for 1-1/2 hours, but next time I'll go for 3. No soy lecithin, either, but maybe I'll buy some for the next batch.

Xlr8's Magic Brownies - Step by Step - With Pictures!

I didn't measure how much trim I used either, maybe an ounce or two, but there was a lot of sugar, and the result was well worth it!

Back
Top Bottom