Whats the difference between RSO oil and Hash oil, if any?

Ibspot

I'm about to try my hand at making my own RSO oil and had been scouring youtube videos before getting Ricks book "Phoenix Tears", that actually has the recipe. In some of the youtube videos, people are calling Ricks oil "hash oil". Not trying to start any arguments, just wanting to get some clarification. I've had hash oil in the past and never knew how it was made. Please excuse me for being dumb as dirt, I'm sure y'all have way more knowledge and experience that me. Thats why I'm here asking. Any and all tips on making the oil before I get started is greatly appreciated.

RSO, hash oil no difference I do believe, like you don't want to start any shit. I have made bubble hash but never oil which I will be trying in the winter, I think I will use a rice cooker for evaporating the isopropanol off. I understand if you use grain alcohol you get a blond color, but I will use ISO for the black or very darkish green. Cook outside with a light fan blowing so your not inhaling the fumes or burning the place down. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

RSO, hash oil no difference I do believe, like you don't want to start any shit. I have made bubble hash but never oil which I will be trying in the winter, I think I will use a rice cooker for evaporating the isopropanol off. I understand if you use grain alcohol you get a blond color, but I will use ISO for the black or very darkish green. Cook outside with a light fan blowing so your not inhaling the fumes or burning the place down. Good luck and let me know how you make out.
In Ricks book, he says light naptha is the best solvent to use. Can't find any of it other than the "VM&P Naptha". I checked up on that and from what I could find out, its pretty much the same thing as the light naptha. I bought me a rice cooker and everything Ricks says to use. I have 2 fans I plan on using too. 1 behind me blowing on the setup and 1 in front, sucking the fumes away so I don't blow my shop up. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the info.

RSO is decarboxylated, I don't think that is done with hash oil. I'm about to make a batch of RSO, and I will be using the same IPA I used for the solvent in the last batch. I distill the base extract to recover the IPA with a small stove top still. Then I heat the extract remaining in the oven until it stops frothing to decarb it.

In Ricks book, he says light naptha is the best solvent to use. Can't find any of it other than the "VM&P Naptha". I checked up on that and from what I could find out, its pretty much the same thing as the light naptha. I bought me a rice cooker and everything Ricks says to use. I have 2 fans I plan on using too. 1 behind me blowing on the setup and 1 in front, sucking the fumes away so I don't blow my shop up. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the info.
Well, I did even more research this morning about naptha vs vm&p naptha. According to a post I saw Rick made, they are not the same and he recommends using 99 % ipa instead. So I guess I'm going that way now.

RSO is decarboxylated, I don't think that is done with hash oil. I'm about to make a batch of RSO, and I will be using the same IPA I used for the solvent in the last batch. I distill the base extract to recover the IPA with a small stove top still. Then I heat the extract remaining in the oven until it stops frothing to decarb it.
Thanks. I just read more info that I didn't find yesterday, about the naptha. Like you, I'm now going with the 99% ipa instead. I hadn't read where Rick decarbed his buds, so I'm giessing the heat from the extracting method you mention does that as opposed to decarbing first.(like when I make cannabutter) Thanks again for the info.

Thanks. I just read more info that I didn't find yesterday, about the naptha. Like you, I'm now going with the 99% ipa instead. I hadn't read where Rick decarbed his buds, so I'm giessing the heat from the extracting method you mention does that as opposed to decarbing first.(like when I make cannabutter) Thanks again for the info.
There is no heat used when extracting. It's all done with frozen ingredients, in the freezer. This is to minimize chlorophyll dissolution.That is then filtered to remove organic solids(I use coffee filters in a honey strainer made of 5 gallon buckets). Then the extract is frozen for a couple of days, then fine vacuum filtered to remove waxes(I have not done this step before, but will add it this time). Then it goes into the still, and the IPA comes off @ 180 F and is collected for reuse. (Note: temp in the still with never get above the boiling point of IPA, and will actually drop when all the IPA is evaporated from the still). Then the thick extract goes into the oven @220F. It will froth in the oven when stirred, until it is totally decarbed. Then it kicks ass!

There is no heat used when extracting. It's all done with frozen ingredients, in the freezer. This is to minimize chlorophyll dissolution.That is then filtered to remove organic solids(I use coffee filters in a honey strainer made of 5 gallon buckets). Then the extract is frozen for a couple of days, then fine vacuum filtered to remove waxes(I have not done this step before, but will add it this time). Then it goes into the still, and the IPA comes off @ 180 F and is collected for reuse. (Note: temp in the still with never get above the boiling point of IPA, and will actually drop when all the IPA is evaporated from the still). Then the thick extract goes into the oven @220F. It will froth in the oven when stirred, until it is totally decarbed. Then it kicks ass!
Wow. Thats way above my head. You obviously are a lot smarter and more experienced than me ! lol. Thanks for the info tho. Guess I'll go sit in the corner with a cone hat on.

Wow. Thats way above my head. You obviously are a lot smarter and more experienced than me ! lol. Thanks for the info tho. Guess I'll go sit in the corner with a cone hat on.
It's really pretty simple if you don't want to recover your IPA for reuse. Do your extraction in the freezer, filter through a coffee filter, put the filtered extract outside with a fan blowing across it. When it quits losing volume, then it will be IPA free, and it can go in the oven for decarb. Simple if you are doing small batches at a time.

Back
Top Bottom