What's Wrong With the Drug War?

Jimbo

(I had to edit some of this due to references to things that are not allowed here, but it is still a good read from DPA Network)

What's Wrong With the Drug War?

Everyone has a stake in ending the war on drugs. Whether you're a parent concerned about protecting children from drug-related harm, a social justice advocate worried about racially disproportionate incarceration rates, an environmentalist seeking to protect the Amazon rain forest or a fiscally conservative taxpayer you have a stake in ending the drug war. U.S. federal, state and local governments have spent hundreds of billions of dollars trying to make America "drug-free." Nearly half a million people are behind bars on drug charges - more than all of western Europe (with a bigger population) incarcerates for all offenses. The war on drugs has become a war on families, a war on public health and a war on our constitutional rights.

Many of the problems the drug war purports to resolve are in fact caused by the drug war itself. So-called "drug-related" crime is a direct result of drug prohibition's distortion of immutable laws of supply and demand. Public health problems like HIV and Hepatitis C are all exacerbated by zero tolerance laws. The drug war is not the promoter of family values that some would have us believe. Children of inmates are at risk of educational failure, joblessness, addiction and delinquency. Drug abuse is bad, but the drug war is worse.

Few public policies have compromised public health and undermined our fundamental civil liberties for so long and to such a degree as the war on drugs. The United States is now the world's largest jailer, imprisoning nearly half a million people for drug offenses alone. That's more people than Western Europe, with a bigger population, incarcerates for all offenses. Roughly 1.5 million people are arrested each year for drug law violations - 40% of them just for marijuana possession. People suffering from cancer, AIDS and other debilitating illnesses are regularly denied access to their medicine or even arrested and prosecuted for using medical marijuana. We can do better.

all i know is that they need to quit calling weed a drug.
Well, if you think about it, a drug by definition is anything that has an effect on the body and weed for sure has an effect on the body.
Another point, is that people are using it as medication so wouldn't you consider any medication to be a drug?
I understand why we all want to down play cannabis terminology, because of the status that it has with society and the way the government portrays it to be this "super deadly minis to society at large".
Aspirin is also considered a drug as well.
Now, that being said, if you want to get down to brass tacks about it, alcohol and tobacco have side stepped the "drug" status for years, both of which are more deadly than vaporized herbal cannabis.
The only reason cannabis is illegal to this day is because of the racism against blacks in the 30's. Because they were (for the most part) the only ones smoking it for recreation at the time, and white people were against anything that black people were for.
Just so y'all know, I'm white, so I'm not trying to play any racial cards here, I'm just stating the facts as best I know them.

For me, the last 8 years of the Bush administration has been like living in the dark ages. Trying to change things has been a pointless endeavor. When I wrote Duncan Hunter asking him to approve the Barney Frank bill, he replied with misinformation and party line anti marijuana rhetoric. See: Barney Frank Introduces Bold Reform of Federal Marijuana Laws

Oh well, at least Barney is there and if we have an administration change this fall, maybe things will improve.

I here ya bro. I personally don't like either one of the candidates this time.
Obama will not even solute the flag, which is down right disrespectful to the ones that have fought so hard to defend it, but he has relaxed views on canna reform and I think if pushed hard enough, he might even legalize it entirely. Maybe we should give him just 4 years for that alone and then give him the boot.
Johnny Mac is totally against any kind of canna reform (MMJ or otherwise) and we will just have to go on suffering with him, so what do we do?
Ron Paul is not even an option anymore because of bad press and media slander.
Like I said...What do we do???!!! The answer to that is; We fight with the power of numbers and remind them that they are ultimately hired "for the people, by the people and of the people" and the people want cannabis legalization right now or we will boot your ass!!!

Back
Top Bottom