What's Wrong With This Plant?

startergrow

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some ideas from the great experience we have here, as to what I'm doing wrong to my poor plant.

My first grow and it's an Auto AK-47, stunted by early over watering but recovered pretty well over the last few weeks. At least until the last few days.

The larger fan leaves have turned rather yellow.The smaller new growth is still green but wilting.

The plants are about 40 days from seed and in their second week of flower. They're under a 400w HID lamp growing in soil.

I have been giving half doses of "Dutch Nutrient" Gro and have switched now to the Bloom mix. They've had one water with the Bloom a few days ago and that's when this problem seemed to start. Could be a coincidence though.

On the good side They have been growing a lot , with buds starting to get bigger, but then this wilting a bit and yellow leaf problem, so I don't know.

Any ideas, all is appreciated.

bad_leaf4.jpg

Personally I would throw some cal-mag, or Epsom salt at her and see if that doesn't help a bit. I would feed it to the roots, as I'm one of those people that doesn't believe that foliar feeding wors with cal-mag.

Thanks the chart, it's very useful and Cal-mag is something I have been wondering about, having seen it mentioned a lot. I guess this does point to some sort of deficiency and not too much.

The soil is fairly generic potting soil that I picked as it didn't have any time release nutrients or claims of food for the plants.

I should mention I've just switched to LED lights but this was happening before that.

Here's some more pics.

This is the small problem plant. It has it's own issues and won't win any prizes but it has been growing until this problem the last few days.

I wouldn't worry except I am starting to see it in some of the other plants. (hard to see under the lights but similar but less yellow and spotting on leaves)

l031.jpg

Here's it's LSTed sisters that show a little of the problem but not as much.

l032.jpg

Here's a photo of the LA Cookies which has little specks and hints of the problem although getting the GRO not the Bloom.

l041.jpg

Part of the issue I think is that it's alot more noticeable under the LED light than the HID.

LED plants need extra cal-mag in my experience.

All grows require calmag usually, depending on the quality of the base water you're using for nutes. The stuff about LED's requiring it more than any other circumstance is a myth. I've yet to see any science behind the claim. Like many other growing "rules" you'll find on these forums it snowballs into a "you must do this! or you must do that! because it's what someone read elsewhere.

Ca and Mg are required for a healthy plant, LED or not

Lack of evidence does not disprove a theory. I also hadn't seen any evidence that you don't need more cal-mag. The argument can go both ways. How could we set up a test? I'd like to see personally as well. Side by side clones? I'm running 2 flower tents, one with a metal halide and one with LEDs. I could squeeze 1 more clone in each tent?

Good advice then on the cal-mag either way. Thanks

I'm going to pick some up and start with next water.

I think I'm still probably not hitting the watering schedules right. I feel the soil and lift the pots and it is at least a few days between waterings but I still can't be sure if I over water or under. Just need practice I guess.

I have a couple of theories as to what is wrong with your plants but please come over and check out my grow as I too am running 400 watt hid, LEDs, Dutch nutrient formula and soil..... Very similar situations.

My new grow space

Pictures without your lights on would help with colours etc.......

* my first thought right off the get-go was that you are continuing to over water. My plants almost wilt before I water them again. My pots are super light by the time they are ready for water...... who is the manufacturer of your soil? Did you add additional perlite or another means of drainage?

* my second thought is your transition from grow to bloom nutrients..... Did you see pistils forming before you made that transition? Also, did you do it gradually or bam, done!? I had an issue on my first grow when I stopped grow and added Bloom immediately.

*PH.. ...what is yours and how are you testing it?

*CalMag, I know there is a lot of controversy but it is needed with every plant, LED, HPS, hid..... It doesn't matter. My watering schedule goes nutrients, nutrients, water with Cal Mag, nutrients, nutrients, water with Cal Mag ..... Repeat when dry.

Change 1 thing at a time......its easier to prevent it from happening again if you can pinpoint your cause. Aside from this forum and the obvious uses ..... Do you keep a written journal for everything you do? If not, I would start doing that so that you can keep track of your waterings and everything that you do to your plants. It is very easy to forget something subtle that you did two or three days ago.

I have a couple of theories as to what is wrong with your plants but please come over and check out my grow as I too am running 400 watt hid, LEDs, Dutch nutrient formula and soil..... Very similar situations.

My new grow space

Pictures without your lights on would help with colours etc.......

* my first thought right off the get-go was that you are continuing to over water. My plants almost wilt before I water them again. My pots are super light by the time they are ready for water...... who is the manufacturer of your soil? Did you add additional perlite or another means of drainage?

* my second thought is your transition from grow to bloom nutrients..... Did you see pistils forming before you made that transition? Also, did you do it gradually or bam, done!? I had an issue on my first grow when I stopped grow and added Bloom immediately.

*PH.. ...what is yours and how are you testing it?

*CalMag, I know there is a lot of controversy but it is needed with every plant, LED, HPS, hid..... It doesn't matter. My watering schedule goes nutrients, nutrients, water with Cal Mag, nutrients, nutrients, water with Cal Mag ..... Repeat when dry.

Change 1 thing at a time......its easier to prevent it from happening again if you can pinpoint your cause. Aside from this forum and the obvious uses ..... Do you keep a written journal for everything you do? If not, I would start doing that so that you can keep track of your waterings and everything that you do to your plants. It is very easy to forget something subtle that you did two or three days ago.
I was gonna say the same thing over watering in soil every 4 to 5 days in Coco 3_4 days

Thanks for all the input. It's great to get advice on this first time through.

I bought some Cal-Mag and added it last water, a few days ago. Since then they are wilting much less and the yellowing does not seem to be appearing on new growth. Of course it's hard to tell if this is the fix but it seems that it likely can't hurt and the plants are definitely now going in the right direction, growing the buds and not looking so droopy. Also the problem does not seem to be as bad or major on the other bigger plants.

I've been checking PH since the start and keeping the water between 6 and 6.5 which I believe is good for soil. This is the PH of the water going in but I have not checked the run off as much and I realize I need to do that more.

Should I adjust the PH higher or lower to make for a good PH range in the run-off or just the right PH for the water being added?

In answer to a previous post I did just switch straight to the bloom nutrients from the gro. The white pistils had started growing for over a week so I figured it was time. Should I ramp them down before switching? I had only been giving half dose of the recommended nutrients as I wanted to be careful not to burn them. If the plants keep looking healthy I will gradually bring the dose up.

I think I am still over watering also as was suggested and I'm going to restrain myself when I need to water and stretch it out more. This grow is teaching me patience as I kind of wanted to do something every day and I should just sit back and let the plants grow sometimes.

I did a lot of research before starting but I now realize there is a lot more to learn once you start. It's a lot more interesting and involved than I originally thought. Lots of details to try for best results.

i appreciate reading all the experience and knowledge in these forums and thanks for replying to my problem.

I'll post some pictures (away from the LEDs) in a bit.

I'd love top get away with watering my coco grow every 3 to 4 days :rofl:
That'll never happen

I planted a Dark Devil in perlite and a 7 gallon waste basket. Put 3 gallons water in it and walked away...3g in 96 days, never watered. :rofl: Second attempt and it looks like I'll get 10g and some female pollen, day 54? and hasnt been watered since planted. What started as a lark is now a no effort, pollen producing, bonsai garden. ;)

Thanks for all the input. It's great to get advice on this first time through.

I bought some Cal-Mag and added it last water, a few days ago. Since then they are wilting much less and the yellowing does not seem to be appearing on new growth. Of course it's hard to tell if this is the fix but it seems that it likely can't hurt and the plants are definitely now going in the right direction, growing the buds and not looking so droopy. Also the problem does not seem to be as bad or major on the other bigger plants.

I've been checking PH since the start and keeping the water between 6 and 6.5 which I believe is good for soil. This is the PH of the water going in but I have not checked the run off as much and I realize I need to do that more.

Should I adjust the PH higher or lower to make for a good PH range in the run-off or just the right PH for the water being added?

In answer to a previous post I did just switch straight to the bloom nutrients from the gro. The white pistils had started growing for over a week so I figured it was time. Should I ramp them down before switching? I had only been giving half dose of the recommended nutrients as I wanted to be careful not to burn them. If the plants keep looking healthy I will gradually bring the dose up.

I think I am still over watering also as was suggested and I'm going to restrain myself when I need to water and stretch it out more. This grow is teaching me patience as I kind of wanted to do something every day and I should just sit back and let the plants grow sometimes.

I did a lot of research before starting but I now realize there is a lot more to learn once you start. It's a lot more interesting and involved than I originally thought. Lots of details to try for best results.

i appreciate reading all the experience and knowledge in these forums and thanks for replying to my problem.

I'll post some pictures (away from the LEDs) in a bit.
You've made some great improvements and clearly your humble enough to accept the learning curve which is huge when it comes to just starting out. You're definitely going in the right direction wish we could see them . Growing marijuana isn't complicated as long as you don't make it.

Over-watering........... Yeah, everybody does that. I just finished fixing and overwatering problem on my fourth grow LOL.

I'd love top get away with watering my coco grow every 3 to 4 days :rofl:
That'll never happen
Yeah, you guys should switch Gardens...... Somebody who wants to get their hands dirty every 3 to 4 hours versus somebody who wishes they didn't have to touch it for 3 to 4 days LOL. That's the difference between Coco and soil / peat moss derivative.

It all depends on how you water, with 20% run off you water 3 days with splash then 2x a day

Back
Top Bottom