When breeding Cannabis do the genetics get split 50/50?

It's always 50/50. The reason organisms don't exhibit all the desirable traits of both parents is that some genes are recessive. Both parents would need to have the same gene(s) for the recessive trait for it to be exhibited by their offspring.

It's always 50/50. The reason organisms don't exhibit all the desirable traits of both parents is that some genes are recessive. Both parents would need to have the same gene(s) for the recessive trait for it to be exhibited by their offspring.
so could breeding two plants from the same batch of seeds potentially cause recessive traits?

All plants have both recessive and dominant genes. If you have a gene pair with a dominant and recessive gene, the dominant gene will be exhibited. If both are recessive, the recessive trait will be exhibited. When you breed an organism, even to itself as with CS turned branches, a random one of each gene pair is contributed. Thus if you breed a plant to itself and the gene pair has both the dominant, and recessive gene in the offspring you may get:

D D - only the dominant gene is passed on, and is exhibited
D R - both the dominant and recessive genes are passed on, the dominant trait is exhibited
R D - both the dominant and recessive genes are passed on, the dominant trait is exhibited
R R - only the recessive gene is passed on, the recessive trait is exhibited

Look up 'Gregor Mendel' for more information. He's the father of genetics.

Do the females pass on more traits or is it a roll of the dice on what carries over from each parent plant? What about a female turned male with cs?

I look at it as each parent supplying an equal amount of genetic material. As Old Salt alluded to, though, that's not the same thing as each parent supplying an equal amount of the next generation plant's observable characteristics.

All plants have both recessive and dominant genes. If you have a gene pair with a dominant and recessive gene, the dominant gene will be exhibited. If both are recessive, the recessive trait will be exhibited. When you breed an organism, even to itself as with CS turned branches, a random one of each gene pair is contributed. Thus if you breed a plant to itself and the gene pair has both the dominant, and recessive gene in the offspring you may get:

D D - only the dominant gene is passed on, and is exhibited
D R - both the dominant and recessive genes are passed on, the dominant trait is exhibited
R D - both the dominant and recessive genes are passed on, the dominant trait is exhibited
R R - only the recessive gene is passed on, the recessive trait is exhibited

Look up 'Gregor Mendel' for more information. He's the father of genetics.
Thanks I will look him up for sure.

When you look at the big picture it sure makes a case for selfing plants. I am too the point that all I need to do now is find the right plants to self. Plenty of strains I just need the right plants now. Even the best strains will have a few good phenos along with the great ones. Selfing a plant takes all the percentages from parents out the window.

I still plan to throw pollen around here and there. If only to see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom