When do I move my plants from CFL to HPS? Please help!

Outlaw81G

So I started germinating my plants on june 1. 2 days later they were planted and two days after that they sprouted. I have had them under CFL the whole time, but my 2x4x5 grow tent and 400w hps light arrived yesterday. My question is... When do I switch them from CFL and put them in the tent under HPS light?
Thanks for the help guys!

They'd only be a week or so old so I'd probably atleast wait till they have 2 sets of full leaves. The hPs will probably be too intense at this time. Keep the cfls a couple inches away from the plants and they'll do just fine if you are using the blue cfls. If you do bring in the hPs keep it as far away as possible and just see how they handle it and then slowly bring it a bit closer over the course of a few days

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Noted! That gives me time to set up shop. I still haven't got the fans. Things can get expensive real quick! Lol

Im new at this but have had a few small outdoor grows. Was just given two 600w ballasts and HPS hoods plus four T11's. Gettn a tent goin inside.
I guess run the T11's untill flower time?
Run the HPS's intire run and use T11's for clones and mother?
HPS have different type bulbs? If so not sure whats what for what.
Heres my outside and its BOOMING!
20160603_071851.jpg

My friend told me to run HPS the whole time. Correct??
Tent exhaust system is ok to run both intake and outtake inside room as long as outtake has a carbon filter so I dont recirculate the same air?? Or one has to be routed outside?
20160614_170120.jpg

This pic is 2 weeks later

I'm running the lights under the MH light... I have a carbon filter on the way that will be exhausting out thru the attic. I will be running another duct from the ac to the tent to provide cold weather.

Im not sure if the MH is the same as HPS. I was told to run High press. Sodium the whole run, veg and flower.
Im probably going to run my outtake through the attic with carbon filter, but do I worry about the attic insulation? or do I route outtake duct all the way to the attic/roof vent w/filter instead of stopping in middle of attic?
I want to do this right and THANK YOU!!!

I just ran it straight to the attic so it can vent from there.. I'm only running a small 4" exhaust so I don't plan on having a ton of air movement.. I've read that it's really up to you as a grower if you want to use MH or the HPS.. But I did read that the hps can be used the whole time if you want.

I use a variety of lights around here and have been experimenting a lot with MH vs Pure Par T5 in veg, and then mixtures of MH and HPS in flower.

I ran a combination of MH and HPS on my last run and got some of the best results I have ever gotten. This round I have been convinced by some expert growers that HPS really is the way to go in flower, and they point to our big bright yellow sun as evidence of that fact, so I am following up the best grow I have ever done, using a combination of multi-source, multi-spectrum lights, with a comparison grow this time, using multi-source HPS lights.

So far, my money's on the pure HPS in flower... the plants do seem to love it.

In veg, if you need to cover some surface area, MH rocks... but if you can easily direct some t5s where the light needs to go, I haven't seen anything grow as fast as the purple agromax pur par bulbs... even a MH at twice the wattage.

Lastly, the guy at the light store keeps trying to talk me into the new ceramic HPS lights... less power usage, way more life, whiter light... I may yet go that direction one of these days too. It depends on who has the better deal when I have the free cash... plasma, or ceramic. Also please note that I have not even uttered the word until now... LED. They are cute, but I believe it is an intermediary step in lighting technology... I will not invest in it.

Great answers! My ballasts are 600w so I will be going with that. I will route outtake into attic up to whirlybird vent on roof probably, just thinking.
The grow shop by me said a fan cost $90. Newebiegrwer on here sent me a link for Amazon where you can get a fan and filter for $30.!! I will be buying everything off the computer. Im really trying this year with my yard grow and when I go inside I want to do it right,professional, treat it like a trade.Emilya and Outlaw, Thank you.

Just a quick note folks, you do NOT want to terminate your ventilation in your attic if you care about your house at all, especially if you're growing in colder weather. At the very least, wire the discharge end of the duct so that it's at least close to one of the attic roof vents. Discharging warm moist air into your attic in colder weather is a really good way to create condensation which leads to mold and damaged roofs and ceilings.

Just a quick note folks, you do NOT want to terminate your ventilation in your attic if you care about your house at all, especially if you're growing in colder weather. At the very least, wire the discharge end of the duct so that it's at least close to one of the attic roof vents. Discharging warm moist air into your attic in colder weather is a really good way to create condensation which leads to mold and damaged roofs and ceilings.

This is why Im going to install separate roof jack dampers for exhaust. Ive been exploring the different options and this seems best. I dont want to damage the house first and foremost. Thanks for helping!

just remember that a $30 fan is going to perform and last like a $30 fan. I am afraid of cheap equipment, just for fire safety reasons if nothing else. Spend the extra for a 10 year warranteed fan... you will be glad you did later. Also, if you are sending everything out of the whirly thing... why bother filtering it?

Emila, Ive been researching and I think Im going 8" for all because of the hoods. Move more air is better. Grow shop said 6" is as small as id want. Im installing two separate roof dampers for exhaust. Thats it for now. Happy Sunday!!

Back
Top Bottom