When does a plant become a hermi?

CalVet420

I don't know if there has been any research done on this or not. At what point in a plants life will stress cause it to hermi?

Can stress in the veg cycle affect the sex of the plant?

The reason I ask is this: I have a mother plant skunk #11 that was from feminized seed. I flowered some clones off the mother and they turned a bit hermi on me (I'm pretty sure this was due to light stress). Could my mother plant be affected by stress, causing her and all of the cutting to always be hermi?

BTW she's in an outside garden now. I don't want a giant hermi in with the rest of the garden. That could turn out BAD.

any smart help on this would be apriciated. :thanks:

If the mother got stressed then its possible to end up with hermie clones. Hermies aren't too big of a problem. You'll end up with some feminized seeds which can come in handy. I do believe that it effects production quality a little.

you don't need to worry about a hermie in your garden either. you need a male plant w/ pollen sacks to fertilize your ladies. a hermie is a plant w/ buds that have some seeds in them. seeds show that the plant was fertilized, not that it will fertilize the rest of the crop.

i've heard that some feminized seeds, even grown under optimal conditions, can create some seeds as a natural method of reproduction. the plant forces itself to produce seeds in some of the buds. stressors are always a factor, but they aren't always the reason. best thing is to try and keep everything as consistent as possible.

you don't need to worry about a hermie in your garden either. you need a male plant w/ pollen sacks to fertilize your ladies. a hermie is a plant w/ buds that have some seeds in them. seeds show that the plant was fertilized, not that it will fertilize the rest of the crop.

i've heard that some feminized seeds, even grown under optimal conditions, can create some seeds as a natural method of reproduction. the plant forces itself to produce seeds in some of the buds. stressors are always a factor, but they aren't always the reason. best thing is to try and keep everything as consistent as possible.

This isn't all true man. My hermi ladies that I just flowered all had little pollen sacks throughout the buds. They were all single banana's. I picked most of them off, but the ones that I missed had lots of pollen in them. It was enough to get nearby plants in this particular outdoor garden.

I'm pretty sure you need to have pollen to get seeds no matter where it comes from, wheather it be from it's self or any other pot plant. The fact that you get seeds does not mean your plant hermi'd on you.

I've heard and read that feminized seeds (this started as feminized seeds from dutch passions) are more prone to hermi on you than non-feminized.

I was really hoping i might be able to get some info from, say a breeder, that knows how to "Make" a plant hermi on demand.

i would def. do some more research on this. it's like a man getting a woman pregnant, the baby doesn't have semen on it when it comes out. the semen goes in fertilizes the egg, and creates the baby/seeds. it sounds weird that there would be pollen sacks in the buds, but if you say so...i guess it's true.

i would def. do some more research on this. it's like a man getting a woman pregnant, the baby doesn't have semen on it when it comes out. the semen goes in fertilizes the egg, and creates the baby/seeds. it sounds weird that there would be pollen sacks in the buds, but if you say so...i guess it's true.

Actually you're one of the people that commented on it before. Check out the Pollen sack that came off the bud. I'll put the pic here. If this isn't a pollen sack, then I don't know. It was a trip. I pulled about 300 of these off my 6 plants. I couldn't get a good pic of them on the buds.

finger1.JPG

in the previous post you mentioned, my experience was having seeds in some of the buds, not those pollen sack things. i didnt have anything like that, which is why i said what i said above.

Yep, that's a pollen sac - had two on my last grow - certainly can see why they call them bananas. Girls do it when they are stressed, and if they produce seeds from the pollen sac pollen hitting a bud, they will be female seeds from what I know.

:peace:

hazyatbest said:
in the previous post you mentioned, my experience was having seeds in some of the buds, not those pollen sack things. i didnt have anything like that, which is why i said what i said above.

Maybe there's two different things happening. What I saw with the nanners and what you saw without, but with seeds instead. Now that I'm not all stoned, I remember hearing about plants being able to go into self presevation mode or something, making seeds to continue the spiecies. I don't know. That's why I'm here.

I apriciate the input. I think we both need some more knowledge about this if it's happened in both of our gardens. lmao.

:roorrip:

While there are many reasons why a plant will herm, not the least of which is genetics, the easiest way a person can cause their plant's to go herm. is to interrupt the dark cycle.

While in flowering, exposing them to erratic periods of light during the dark cycle will almost always cause herms. This is known as "light poisoning" and is sometimes used to force a plant to herm. for the purposes of producing female seed. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom