When is it too cold?

Ganja Goose

Hi 420,

Growing a UBC Chemo in my 4x4 tent that currently sits in my unheated attached garage. She is in her final week and I'm just waiting for the amber trichomes to appear and I was hoping to finish off this grow before moving the tent downstairs, but I think I might be running out of time with the cold weather. I am running to two - 200 watt CFL's, which until last week produced sufficient heat within the tent (70F to 80F range). Now that the ambient temp in the garage has dropped to around 54F, I'm only seeing a maximum temp in the grow tent of 66F.

While she hasn't had the easiest life (my second grow and overfed her), the cold temps don't seem to be having too much of an impact so far, although I think she might have slowed down a bit in her bud production. Maybe this is normal, but I wanted to check with the community regarding your thoughts on how long a plant can sustain these 66F temps.

Thoughts?

GG

Attachments

• chemo oct 19 2020.png
    chemo oct 19 2020.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
Hi Ganja Goose .. K this is gonna sound spooky lol... I'm doing the same grow in my unheated shed in 4x4 tent ... I have been dealing with the same temps and lower and my UBC chemo seem to be fine but like you maybe have slowed just a bit. I have grow'in other strains in cold temps and I find as long as you don't stay below the mid 50's in the tent too long you are fine. 66 is good this strain was breed for a northern climate. Here's a pic of my ladies squeezed in the small chamber of my dual 4x4 tent, Under 1000w Led.. so you know I'm not shitt'in ya lol. They are in DWC system 7 weeks in flower so far. Are you in DWC or soil?
20201015_130731.jpg
20201012_135734.jpg

Hey @Herby Paisley,

That is crazy. I'm in Alberta. I can't believe I finally found someone else that grows Chemo, much less has ever heard of it. I've been talking about Chemo for a long time and everyone I know has never heard of the strain.

I'm really relieved to hear I have some time. Thank you for the information. I had read that the Chemo works well in cooler weather, but I wasn't sure what the lower limits of cooler weather was.

Let's stay in touch. I'd really like to hear how much you yield from your Chemo as a reference point. As I mentioned I think mine hasn't had the easiest of lives and she might even be locked up, but she seems to pushing thru. I'd like to have a feel for what I should be shooting for Chemo yields in the future. Your plants look great. How far along is she?

GG

Nice a fellow Canadian!... Ya anyone outside of Canada hasn't heard to much about UBC chemo strain apparently to the rest of the world its a rare strain to have. That's cool we can keep in touch... I actually created a thread for Canadian's to drop by and chat in, Its called ...Canadian Growers group & Friends...... I have a link in my signatures links down below that will lead you to it if you ever need help... We have a bunch of great Canadian growers there too some beyond my skills and expertise so chances are if you have any questions in future about growing it will get answered there for sure. :) Almost forgot you asked how far along 7wks in flower so far going to go 8 or 9 want a sedative buzz..

It’s too late in the game for now but next year.... getting the tents up off the concrete slab in your garage will help. The floor is the coldest point in any room or building, many growers have their buckets and plants roots sitting on cool concrete. A slab in a covered space such as basement or garage will stay at 55 degrees year round due to direct contact will grade or soil. Elevating the tent up off the slab and using layers of foam insulation helps tremendously....

Agreed. If I had to do it all over again I’d do just that. I put a blanket under the tent but really underestimated how cold that garage slab gets. Heading into week 9 so I only need her to hang in for a little bit longer!!!

I’ll let you know how it all works out.

GG

It’s too late in the game for now but next year.... getting the tents up off the concrete slab in your garage will help. The floor is the coldest point in any room or building, many growers have their buckets and plants roots sitting on cool concrete. A slab in a covered space such as basement or garage will stay at 55 degrees year round due to direct contact will grade or soil. Elevating the tent up off the slab and using layers of foam insulation helps tremendously....
Thats why I'm glad I chose a wooden floored shed with insulation under it to grow in. instead of concrete slab, like the idea of foam under the tent,

Thats why I'm glad I chose a wooden floored shed with insulation under it to grow in. instead of concrete slab, like the idea of foam under the tent,
Ment to ask do you use wall foam insulation or play mat foam, yoga mat foam? Or all of the above! lol

Morning 420,

Well this past couple days have been interesting here in Alberta. -10F outside the garage, 45F in the garage, and 70F in the tent. I thought I was just waiting on the amber trichomes to show up on my UBC Chemo (week 9 day 4) and then what I think are new pistols are showing up. It is possible I started the clock too early for flower (when I flipped the lights as opposed to when snow caps started to show).

Maybe the extended time could be a timing issue or it could maybe be the cold temperatures slowing things down, but one of my fears is fox tailing, which I have not yet experienced. Thoughts?

GG

Attachments

• chemo october 24 2020.jpg
    chemo october 24 2020.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 61
Also an Alberta grower here. I have my plants in a heated greenhouse but unfortunately the cold came in to hard last night and I got a touch of frost. Got town to about 28 f in there last night for about 2 hours. Its up above freeze again now but some leaves are looking sad. All the plants are random seeds but they all seem to be finished. Luckily I got most of the bud out last night but still have a quarter pound sitting in the greenhouse.

of my fears is fox tailing, which I have not yet experienced. Thoughts?

heat and light have a lot to do with foxtailing. don't think you need to worry.

Hey was wondering how the grow was going?... I'm still going entering end of week 8 might cut them on Halloween ;)...Here's a pic of the coldest night so far and they are fine, This strain really does love the cold.20201025_124640.jpg20201025_124530.jpg20201025_124311.jpg

Hey there. She looks great. Good job.

I’m not sure what’s going on with my chemo. I though I was close - pistols almost all brown and trichomes turning milky. That was a week ago and not much has changed other than new pistols showing up still) I recognize she didn’t have the easiest life as I crammed way too many nutrients at her earlier on, but she had been coming along ok. Thursday was the start of week 10 (based on when I flipped them). I’m hoping any day now she will be turning a bit amber

GG

@Herby Paisley did you chop them down? I meant to ask what your preference was for the trichome colour and amount? I think I'm going to target the 10-20% as per many of the forums I've read

GG

@Herby Paisley did you chop them down? I meant to ask what your preference was for the trichome colour and amount? I think I'm going to target the 10-20% as per many of the forums I've read

GG
Nope not yet, Going to do some little harvests starting in the middle of this week which will be week 9 for me and hopefully have them all chopped by the 5th or 6th of November, As for trichomes because I'm doing it at different stages I hope to have a different buzz from each harvest stage, first batch will cut when trichomes are amber at 10 to 20% amber for heady buzz, Then next stage I want to take at 30% amber trichomes for a nice mixed head and body buzz and then the final stage cut at 50% amber for real sedative buzz. So I can enjoy three different highs off my one plant and see which high I like the most and then repeat that for next grow. :)

That's awesome - best of luck with that. I'm going to try and be patient and wait this out for the right time. I can see how hard it is waiting for them to be just right. Probably even worse waiting for them to cure, but I hope to test them along the way

Well I chopped mine down the other day, only to discover I had quite a few seeds. Guess I didn't dodge the hermie problem as I previously had thought. In hindsight the signs were obviously there. Well I'm going to go through the dry and cure process the best that I can and see if I can salvage something to smoke. I've a couple more in the seedling stage now and I'm going to make a few adjustments going forward - namely the use of RO water instead of that soft water I've been using out of my tap. One day I'm going to transition to LED from my CFL's but I'll have to wait until the savings grows a bit.

I never would have thought it would be this disappointing.........:confused:

GG

Sorry to hear your disappointed ... I wouldn't be, just look at all those new seeds as future practice in growing at no cost to you. In the end some will still grow up to be smoke able plants... Good to hear your going to switch to Led when you have the funds, You will probably find it more rewarding growing with those types of lights over cfls. I Harvested one of my plants on nov. 5th and I still have another chemo plant going into week 10 figured I would use this lil heat up in weather to my advantage. When I chop that plant I'll probably post some pics of some nugs shots on my Canadian Growers group & friends thread of them if you want to have a look and I was also thinking I might piece together a journal of the chemo strain grow to show what I used.. and the things I dealt with threw the entire grow. ;)

Back
Top Bottom