When should I transplant from my hydroponic system to soil?

Hydroponic Man

420 Member
I’m a newbie grower and for the first time I started my White Widow seeds in a hydroponic system. The seedlings are about six inches tall with nice leaves. The stems are very small in circumference and need to be supported with outside help. My question is, when should I transplant my plants from my hydroponic system to soil air pots? I have a grow tent with both a lighting system and air exchange system. I require advice on this question. My soil for the air pots are: Strawberry Fields for 1/3 of the air pot bottom and a mixture of 50/50 Ocean Forest and Happy Frog for the top 2/3 of the air pot. I would like to thank all comments in advance. Thank you!

Hey hydroponicman how are ya doin? So interesting question... I've never heard of switching mid way from one to another. I'm sorry I do not have an answer but thank you for asking this question as now I am interested.

Hey hydroponicman how are ya doin? So interesting question... I've never heard of switching mid way from one to another. I'm sorry I do not have an answer but thank you for asking this question as now I am interested.
I am trying to grow from my hydroponic system to a soil based air pot system is White Widow. It is a Sativa-dominant strain with strong, refreshing, and uplifting properties. It’s use will be for medicinal purposes. The seeds were a little on the expensive side, so I would like to get the best information I can. Failure is not in my consideratio.

Pics would help to see what we are dealing with, but I can tell you from get- go that it will take time for roots to convert from water roots over to soil roots….. they are different so theres potential to shock the plant.

seedlings started in perlite hempy style cup can be transferred to any grow media. I would suggest next time starting them in soil right away so there’s no delay in transitioning roots.

I am trying to grow from my hydroponic system to a soil based air pot system is White Widow. It is a Sativa-dominant strain with strong, refreshing, and uplifting properties. It’s use will be for medicinal purposes. The seeds were a little on the expensive side, so I would like to get the best information I can. Failure is not in my consideratio.
Agree with you that failure isn't an option. I'll get some traction here for you.

@Bill284 @Krissi1982 @LKABudMan @Melville Hobbes can you guys help with this?

Agree with you that failure isn't an option. I'll get some traction here for you.

I have never heard of moving from one to another and unfortunately am unfamiliar with soil air pots. I do however know calvary in those more seasoned than I in these mediums, @Rexer @Azimuth ? I know you both have valuable information always on a plethora of all things cannabis.

Hydro man though, I love my soil through and through. Once you get there, I'd like to see how your system works as I am also a FFOF user and as aforementioned, unfamiliar with this growing medium

Pics would help to see what we are dealing with, but I can tell you from get- go that it will take time for roots to convert from water roots over to soil roots….. they are different so theres potential to shock the plant.

seedlings started in perlite hempy style cup can be transferred to any grow media. I would suggest next time starting them in soil right away so there’s no delay in transitioning roots.

516DE2CA-183D-411C-9E46-2B06BA4A013E.jpeg

By chance are you going to be using a stronger light to finish them? From the photos the seedlings are stretching a lot and that's due to lack of light and/or light strength....they are searching for it. But they look healthy.

I don't know much about hydro, but like @013 said the roots plants grow in hydro setups are different than the ones that grow in soil.
I have heard of people switching to soil from hydro but I've never seen it.
Those plants are still young though, so they may adapt better than older ones. You'll be able to bury a bunch of the stretched stem too. You're going to need to be very careful with the roots, they're pretty delicate.
Sorry, that's all I've got.
I'm wondering how moist you'll need to keep the medium as they transition.

My question is, when should I transplant my plants from my hydroponic system to soil air pots
The earlier the better. Canna plants can have 3 very distinct types of roots: soil, water and air. They are fairly specialized and not interchangeable.

You can move from hydro and water roots over to soil, but your roots will have to convert over to soil roots and the younger they are the easier it is for the plant to adapt, and not all of them make it through the transition.

To do the transfer, you'll want to have your soil wetter at first than you typically want trying to appease the water roots as the new soil roots get created. A humidity dome can help the plant get moisture since your water roots will be super unproductive. Think of it like rooting a clone.

I'm assuming your reservoir is aerated so not only are your roots used to straight water, they're used to a lot more air than they'll get in soil.

So, think about it like intensive care for 10-14 days and make the transition as smooth as possible. No strong fertilizer, etc.

And your plants are very stretchy showing they are not getting enough light. But, one issue at a time. We'll get you sorted, but this first step is going to be touchy.

^^^^This

Edit: can you give us a picture of the roots so we can see what we're dealing with?

I haven't done it with cannabis, but when I take a water plant to soil in my garden or my houseplants, I just keep the soil a little bit wetter than I normally would for a couple weeks... not soaked, but I don't let them get actually dry until I'm sure they've switched over.

I
The earlier the better. Canna plants can have 3 very distinct types of roots: soil, water and air. They are fairly specialized and not interchangeable.

You can move from hydro and water roots over to soil, but your roots will have to convert over to soil roots and the younger they are the easier it is for the plant to adapt, and not all of them make it through the transition.

To do the transfer, you'll want to have your soil wetter at first than you typically want trying to appease the water roots as the new soil roots get created. A humidity dome can help the plant get moisture since your water roots will be super unproductive. Think of it like rooting a clone.

I'm assuming your reservoir is aerated so not only are your roots used to straight water, they're used to a lot more air than they'll get in soil.

So, think about it like intensive care for 10-14 days and make the transition as smooth as possible. No strong fertilizer, etc.

And your plants are very stretchy showing they are not getting enough light. But, one issue at a time. We'll get you sorted, but this first step is going to be touchy.

^^^^This

Edit: can you give us a picture of the roots so we can see what we're dealing wit

Morning Hap :ciao: and Good morning @Hydroponic Man hope you are well my friend.
If you start your babies in a sprayer and move them to soil it's no big deal.
Once you have established a decent amount of roots under your babies move them to solo cups.
I would estimate about a 6" tap root should be enough.
Weak topsoil with perlite in a solo until she can empty in in a day or so then into an air pot.
I planted tons of ladies from a sprayer into solos without issues.
Anything you need let me know.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

Morning Hap :ciao: and Good morning @Hydroponic Man hope you are well my friend.
If you start your babies in a sprayer and move them to soil it's no big deal.
Once you have established a decent amount of roots under your babies move them to solo cups.
I would estimate about a 6" tap root should be enough.
Weak topsoil with perlite in a solo until she can empty in in a day or so then into an air pot.
I planted tons of ladies from a sprayer into solos without issues.
Anything you need let me know.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill
Bill, can you explain how air pot soil is different than my plain Jane soil approach and what are the added benefits, if any?

Back
Top Bottom