When should I transplant from my hydroponic system to soil?

Bill, can you explain how air pot soil is different than my plain Jane soil approach and what are the added benefits, if any?
The Bill284 Method
Good morning Krissi :ciao:
Air pots are beneficial to the roots due to the way the roots burn off and regrow.
Here I'll find a pic.

Screenshot_20220527-093657_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220527-093722_Chrome.jpg

Insect frass contains chitlin which causes the roots to form a protective barrier.
Also produces microbes that feed tired roots .
Here is some info.

Screenshot_20220527-094618_Chrome.jpg

Bokashi breaks down food and matter in the root zone.
Making everything available to the roots.
Here is some info

Screenshot_20220527-095344_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220527-095358_Chrome.jpg

Then I add @DYNOMYCO MYCORRHIZAE.
Protects and feeds roots, expanding their usable uptake zone.

Ok so now the soil is alive and feeding your roots.
That just leaves the structure I form in the pot.
The filling of the pots.
The final step in the Bill284 Method.

I layer all these products in the pot.
Starting with Perilite, the key ingredient.
A half inch layer breaking the pot into sections or layers.
With an inch or two of soil in between.
This makes the soil easily accessible by the roots.
No compaction.
Then the roots hit the layer of Perilite and shoot right to the outside of the pot.
Where they are pruned and regrow creating more roots.
Roots are the key to your grow.
Grow big healthy roots and guess what you get in return.
A big healthy plant.
So @Krissi1982 does that help explain why my Method is better than anything else out there.
I think it's better than hydro.
And almost as fast growth.
Give it a try you will never look back. :thumb:

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

Air pots are beneficial to the roots due to the way the roots burn off and regrow.
Here I'll find a pic.

That's great, I appreciate the imagery, thank you Bill!!!!

glad I asked for pics, your girls look great but they are very leggy.… There’s a fine line on water and soil too, too little and they will dry up, too much and they will drown and are unable to breathe since roots need both moisture and oxygen….

best part is you are plugged in here

btws HP Man - welcome aboard

The Bill284 Method
Here I'll find a pic.

Insect frass contains chitlin which causes the roots to form a protective barrier.
Also produces microbes that feed tired roots .
Here is some info.

Screenshot_20220527-094618_Chrome.jpg

Bokashi breaks down food and matter in the root zone.
Making everything available to the roots.
Here is some info

Screenshot_20220527-095344_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220527-095358_Chrome.jpg

Then I add @DYNOMYCO MYCORRHIZAE.
Protects and feeds roots, expanding their usable uptake zone.

Ok so now the soil is alive and feeding your roots.
That just leaves the structure I form in the pot.
The filling of the pots.
The final step in the Bill284 Method.

I layer all these products in the pot.
Starting with Perilite, the key ingredient.
A half inch layer breaking the pot into sections or layers.
With an inch or two of soil in between.
This makes the soil easily accessible by the roots.
No compaction.
Then the roots hit the layer of Perilite and shoot right to the outside of the pot.
Where they are pruned and regrow creating more roots.
Roots are the key to your grow.
Grow big healthy roots and guess what you get in return.
A big healthy plant.
So @Krissi1982 does that help explain why my Method is better than anything else out there.
I think it's better than hydro.
And almost as fast growth.
Give it a try you will never look back. :thumb:

Bill
Ok, @Bill284. That's some solid gold info right there. :thanks:

A couple of questions.

- Insect frass. My understanding is that this is actually the waste of insects, i.e. insect poop. Since the effect on plants is comes about by the reaction they have to the chiten in the insect exoskeleton, I would imagine that dried, ground up insects would work just as well, maybe better, than frass?

- Bokashi. I tried it and didn't like that the output looks virtually the same as the input and since I grow in small containers I can't have a head of cabbage sticking up out of my soil taking up room, never mind the aesthetics. So, I reverted to feeding it to my worm bin, which they loved. But I figured why even bother with the intermediate step and returned to just feeding my kitchen scraps directly to the worms.

So, is there any advantage to creating bokashi only to feed it to the worms? I get that putting it in the soil encourages lots of microbial activity, but I've viewed it as an unneccessary step since it all goes through my worm herd before it hits my grow mix.

- Mycorrhizae. Speaking of worms, one of the benefits of a worm bins is that something magic happens when stuff passes through the gizzard of a worm and the output is much more than just the broken down material that went in. Worm castings are teeming with microbial life.

So, is it fair to say that there are some mycorrhizae in every batch of worm castings or is it some sort of a more exotic microbe that needs to be "imported" into the grow?

Ok, @Bill284. That's some solid gold info right there. :thanks:

A couple of questions.

- Insect frass. My understanding is that this is actually the waste of insects, i.e. insect poop. Since the effect on plants is comes about by the reaction they have to the chiten in the insect exoskeleton, I would imagine that dried, ground up insects would work just as well, maybe better, than frass?

- Bokashi. I tried it and didn't like that the output looks virtually the same as the input and since I grow in small containers I can't have a head of cabbage sticking up out of my soil taking up room, never mind the aesthetics. So, I reverted to feeding it to my worm bin, which they loved. But I figured why even bother with the intermediate step and returned to just feeding my kitchen scraps directly to the worms.

So, is there any advantage to creating bokashi only to feed it to the worms? I get that putting it in the soil encourages lots of microbial activity, but I've viewed it as an unneccessary step since it all goes through my worm herd before it hits my grow mix.

- Mycorrhizae. Speaking of worms, one of the benefits of a worm bins is that something magic happens when stuff passes through the gizzard of a worm and the output is much more than just the broken down material that went in. Worm castings are teeming with microbial life.

So, is it fair to say that there are some mycorrhizae in every batch of worm castings or is it some sort of a more exotic microbe that needs to be "imported" into the grow?
Hey @Azimuth I didn't realize until after I posted who's thread I was in.
If it's OK I'll answer your questions in my purple pics thread.
Give me a minute I'll put some pic's together.
@Hydroponic Man :ciao: I apologize for blowing up your thread. :Namaste:
I owe you one.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom