When to Harvest?

toolman0114

I am growing a couple blue mammoth autos, they buds are sticky & stinky, the white hairs are turning brown, when is the right time to harvest. I read something about using a microscope, but I don't gave one. What's a good rule of thumb? Can I just leave them in until I feel like pulling them? Will it ruin them to leave them in too long?

How many weeks are you along ? How long was the auto suppose to grow for 7 weeks , 8 weeks ? If you have a nice camera you can take some pics and blow them up on your computer to help you see better. Usually when all the hairs have pulled back into the buds and are turning brown and red is a indicator your close too.

They are 8 weeks old, which is what the package says. Also says the flowers will turn blue, but they are not. I'll try to post a pic tonight. Some of the white hairs are turning brown and look like they are shrivelling up, but only a few.

How many weeks are you along ? How long was the auto suppose to grow for 7 weeks , 8 weeks ? If you have a nice camera you can take some pics and blow them up on your computer to help you see better. Usually when all the hairs have pulled back into the buds and are turning brown and red is a indicator your close too.

I've seen some harvest pics of BM and yes they do have a blue tint to them, not sure if it's achieved by lowering temp like in some purple strains. Yes post some pics and the community can sure try to help you generally I let my autos run a week past. You could pick up a cheap scope a radio shack I think there like 12 bucks

Here's a pic

0F3385DD-640F-466D-81E4-3DF6AA61B16E_zpsmd95dbw0.png

You have to get a 20x or 30X magnifying Loupe. You need this because you need a way to see the color of the trichome heads. They tell you when to harvest. I can't tell from your picture because you need a much closer up view to see color of trichomes but if I had to bet I'd say she's not ready yet. Too many white hairs. Usually more are shriveled up by the time of harvest.

The trichome heads start out clear, then get milky white before going on to an amber color. They do not do it at the same time though. So the trick is to harvest at the right time. When most trichomes are milky, some are still clear and some are amber, I believe this is a common consensus of a good time to harvest. So you are looking at a good area of the buds and you should see this ratio. Some clear, some amber, most milky = good time.

Now, some things should have been happening leading up to harvest. The last week or two, you should have been flushing if you used chemical nutes. Also, the actual harvest should happen at the end of the dark period. Some folks allow the last "night" to last longer than 12 hours. Harvest at the end of that last dark period.

Don't skimp out on the Loupe. It plays an important role in knowing when to harvest. Get one.

Looks clear those trichs, not ready I'd say. You want them milky white for the highest potency of the strain, or wait for the trichs so go amber if you like a more narcotic/sleepy effect.
Try aiming for 10 weeks flower, and watch the trich colours. Your bud also swells during the last phase.

Back
Top Bottom