When to replace your HPS bulbs

Jonny Fly

420 Member
I'm not sure when it's time to replace my HPS bulb. I traded a guy a bunch of grow light equipment for some cuttings. Some of the bulbs were obviously used and some appear to be new or at least used slightly. It's easy to tell when to replace a MH bulb, the ark chamber gets blackened. In the picture, the three 1000 watt Eye Hortilux bulbs look new, at least to me. I used one if them for one blooming cycle. I didn't keep track of which one I used, and you can't tell by looking at them which one it was. I burned it in a cool tube. The 400 watt Eye Hortilux, to the right of the 1000's is used and it looks used to me. The base of the bulb has turned that silver/black color. The 600 watt bulb on the far right came with a 600 watt digital ballast I purchased. I only used it for a few weeks, but it's obviously used. The base has turned dark and the bulb itself is turning orange. I burned it in a gull wing reflector. I'm wondering if temperature has something to do with it. Maybe the 1000 watt bulbs look new because they were used in air cooled reflectors? I've heard one should replace MH bulbs every six months and HPS bulbs every year. I've also heard to look for black specs inside of the element. The 400 and 600 watt bulbs have black specs and only one of the 1000 watt bulbs has some, but very few. I'd really like to use the Eye Hortilux bulbs a few more times. They're about $100 each. So, if anyone out there can give me some information regarding when an HPS bulb should be replaced I'd be most grateful, thanks, Jonny Fly...

20201206_144920.jpg

20201206_152112.jpg

I wish I knew.
Maybe a light meter could tell the story for you - especially if you could find one to borrow instead of paying $$.

These days I write the date and info on the mogul with magic marker.

Guys at my local store who sold bulbs use electric pencil to date the steel end. Just month and year. I assume for warranty purpose. If I remember correctly they came with a 12 month warranty

Way I figure with hps is if a fresh bulb gives a person 1 extra ounce then its paid for itself
That makes perfect sense. Why skimp one buying a new bulb if you're going to have a smaller yield. I do wonder if the extra cost of an EYE Hortilux is worth it. According to the spectral graph on the side of the packaging looks the same as lower costing bulbs like Apollo, Plantmax, Agro Sun, Sunmaster, Lucalox, Ultra Sun, ect.... I sometimes think I'm just paying for the EYE Hortilux name. They've been around forever. I used to be into aquariums and the EYE Hortilux Blue 6500K MH bulb did out perform cheaper bulbs in terms of plant growth in my aquariums. So "you get what you pay for" may be true in grow lighting although I have 4 "6000 watt" (they actually only use 115-120 watts)
LEDs for $50 each. They're made by WAKYME, and they make a huge difference in my 5x5 grow tent. I use them for supplemental light
20201207_152210.jpg

That makes perfect sense. Why skimp one buying a new bulb if you're going to have a smaller yield. I do wonder if the extra cost of an EYE Hortilux is worth it. According to the spectral graph on the side of the packaging looks the same as lower costing bulbs like Apollo, Plantmax, Agro Sun, Sunmaster, Lucalox, Ultra Sun, ect.... I sometimes think I'm just paying for the EYE Hortilux name. They've been around forever. I used to be into aquariums and the EYE Hortilux Blue 6500K MH bulb did out perform cheaper bulbs in terms of plant growth in my aquariums. So "you get what you pay for" may be true in grow lighting although I have 4 "6000 watt" (they actually only use 115-120 watts)
LEDs for $50 each. They're made by WAKYME, and they make a huge difference in my 5x5 grow tent. I use them for supplemental light
20201207_152210.jpg

I have found new hortilux for $65 a piece online.

... I sometimes think I'm just paying for the EYE Hortilux name.

You’re not the only one who’s wondered that. At least I’ve done it often and spent many many hours looking around online trying to justify some way of spending less money on cheaper bulbs. As best as I can figure out from reading lots of articles - you get what you pay for/no free lunch.

i have read quite many "recomendations" and of course they wanna sel as many lamp they can´t. but i have looked in crown apps and guide of different´s opinions notice. and by my own experience when your lamp is 20000 h. burn. about! it´s loose about 15 %. Philips and Osram have guide good hps bulb in
40-60 euro. and one sign is when you have to put it closer than you feel comfortably and good for the plant. also flowering seems to last longer than should!

i can´t say that this is hard science, but if it helps? it´s enough. more opinions and more experiences is always useful!?

Back
Top Bottom