When To Transplant Outdoors in Southeastern Canada?

Tuuubezz

Hey everyone, just had a quick question. I'm goin for my first real guerilla grow this year and I'm wondering how long I should wait before transplanting outdoors? I have found rough recommendations but nothing specific to my area. I've had my seedlings going for a week or so now. Any advice would be great, Thanks!

Hello, I dont have much growing experience but I will share some of the research I have found. Check your average last frost date to see if your in the clear, frost will cause damage to your plant especially if its a seedling. You can find it on google. Also, check the 10 day forecast. Usually they are not that accurate, but they can give you a good idea on the temperatures. I would say don't plant until the night low temps stay above 50, but I already planted 3 seedlings outdoors a few days ago in northeastern usa, and the temps have been getting down to low 40's and my seedlings are still alive. I did some research and I have read that if the temps fall below 50 then your plant will not grow until it warms back up.

Now what I am doing is..

I planted 3 seedlings so far outside, and every week I am going to plant a few more until I eventually have around 20 by mid May. So if the 3 I already did plant die, i can just easily replace them when it warms up a little more. So if you are worried about it just plant a couple and see how they do for a few days before you plant the rest. If they do die just germinate a few more seeds and replace them. Hope I have helped!! Have a good grow

When farmers normally plant late corn in your area is usually prime time for getting weed in the ground.

If you're in a more semi-suburban area,do it when the old folks are putting tomatoes and peppers in the ground.

Yeah I was thinking about late may would make sense cuz the last frost is usually around the 21st. The main thing I'm concerned about is lighting changes, right now my seedlings are on 24 hour light and the longest day around my region isn't until July 21st which has about 16 hours of sunlight. Any suggestions on getting these guys ready for the change? I've heard you can slowly lessen the light cycle by an hour or so every couple of days before putting them out but does that mean I should coordinate the lighting changes so they are closer to that of late May which are shorter days than July? This is my first time transplanting outside with high goals so I'm tryin to get everything right, any suggestions are greatly appreciated and thanks for the tips so far!

Yeah I was thinking about late may would make sense cuz the last frost is usually around the 21st. The main thing I'm concerned about is lighting changes, right now my seedlings are on 24 hour light and the longest day around my region isn't until July 21st which has about 16 hours of sunlight. Any suggestions on getting these guys ready for the change? I've heard you can slowly lessen the light cycle by an hour or so every couple of days before putting them out but does that mean I should coordinate the lighting changes so they are closer to that of late May which are shorter days than July? This is my first time transplanting outside with high goals so I'm tryin to get everything right, any suggestions are greatly appreciated and thanks for the tips so far!
I start giving mine a little sunlight ( start with one hr.) about two weeks before you plan to transplant to outside. And try and pick a period for transplanting, when the forecast is for cloudy conditions for a couple days. I have never veared from 24 hr lighting, but don't mean i'm right. I just never tryed that !! If you have a patio or deck, i'd be introducing them to as much sunshine as possible. Start slowly though, then everyday, add another few mins. . Just like tanning a lilly white body !!:cool::surf:

Back
Top Bottom