Where do they get names

merimc9

This is the question? Where do they come up with all the names for different strains? There are so many now i have just given up trying to keep track. I know I am old and slow but used to me Thai, White Widow AK 47 and a few more now we got Girl Scout Cookies and Gorilla Glue 4 and heaven only knows how many other odd names out there where did they get them.

Go to this site and click on ‘new strain’.

Gives you a randomly generated strain name and some random fake info to go with it, and presto- you’re good to go- start selling your bagseed, become rich and live happily ever after.
:thumb:

Lots are named with no creativity at all any more. It started out that you just called them what ever. No strains had names at one time. It was all about regions. Smells flavors and what a plant looked like created most the newer names for a while. Once that changed it went to a part of each strain name with the male being mentioned last. Those were simple times LMAO.

Now they can be anything. Lots of them the same names with different genetics.

Now it is kind of back to smells and flavors thing in some ways. Of course everything has to be redefined now. Most all fruity smells and flavors have been used so the don't get used as much. People want to reexplain smells and flavors. That is why all the berries and fruits have become desert names now.

Hell I don't even know what Geloto tastes like. (plus isn't there lots of Geloto flavors?) My guess is the strain is supposed to taste like it. If I don't know what Geloto tastes like how would I ever know if I got the real deal or not. I have tried Thin Mint Cookies. No strain I have ever smoked taste like that. I have even tried a few of Girl Scout Cookies strains out there grow by others. I still don't see it. Great Flavor for sure, don't get me wrong. Just because one person sees or tastes something doesn't mean others will

Never knew there was a strain naming site LMAO. Maybe they can give me a job because strain names suck these days.

When I dabbled in breeding my own ..I named them by smell and or the effects of the herb ...evergreen (smelled like you stuck your face in a mound of evergreen bushes), five o live (smelt like the fruit drink Five o live) , No Pain ( very clean and clear with total body numbness, comfortably numb) . Fruit loops ( you guessed it , smelled like the cereal ) . It was just another fun part of growing and yet it could be difficult at time almost like naming an unborn child . lol

Typically named creatively by original breeders, then hybrids and crosses will typically make a play on the name by twisting up the name of the original with the crossed strain. One thing that really gets missed by most, both growers and consumers is that a blueberry or Strawberry Nightmare/Cough strain may only have that flavor in the properly chosen phenotype of that genetic. You could grow 30 blueberry DJ Short plants and maybe find one rock solid, real blueberry tasting and exuding pheno out of the whole bunch, or as typical with commercial stuff, the grower could just be growing out a few feminized seeds and just selecting the best one they can find out of just those few examples and not have taken the time to find the real solid blueberry pheno that truly exhibits best strength and blueberry flavors. The phenotype is extremely important. Some of the best blueberry smoke is just like the taste and smell of blueberry pies and muffins, and makes a whole room smell like the bakery. Most "blueberry" from dispensaries though will be bland and slightly non-descript sweet berry-ish scent/flavor but never does the dispensary stuff take the care to get that "Fresh real blueberry" flavor and smell. I just use that strain as an example. The real deal "OG Kush" pheno is so sour and so funky/musty/lemon fuely and most that grow the OG don't grow the true pheno, so you get into issues with the flavors of named strains primarily because of this reasoning.

To the original poster, with the real deal "Girl Scout Cookie" first made by Berner's crew, when you smoke it the aftertaste on exhale tastes like baked sweets, and was a cross of OG Kush X Durban Poison. You could grow 100 other plants that never get the same flavor as that original clone, and so you'd never taste what they meant when they even named it Girl Scout Cookie.

With dioecious plant varieties and genetics (meaning plants having distinctly separate male and female plants) you have a wild chance of variety and genetic traits, and each and every individual plant grown out can have a slightly different terpene profile as well as cannabinoid profile, and this is why you see tons of strains that specifically state they are "clone only" and this means, out of likely hundreds of plants and grows, one mother may have been found to show that flavor and yield and frostiness they were after with the name, and that's why it had to be cloned and turned into a clone mother. The seeds likely grow generic and wouldn't produce that "cookie" effect/flavor until you grew hundreds from seed and "pheno hunted" out the best of the best.

I am developing my own conventions on naming (I have always had a strange fascination with bestowing names, go figure).

First, I am frequently coming up with cool sounding names for strains, so am maintaining a private list of planned names. For the really awesome names, I am planning on keeping them secret until it is time for the reveal, others are just one shot names for a particular plant's buds, though some names may get reused with a different year tacked on.

Here are the naming procedures I am setting for myself, and am using now.

First is x Lite. This will be from what I call an opportunity seed, or what others call bag seed. For instance, my 2019 grow is called Tardis Lite, as back in 2018, I found a couple opportunity seeds in a bag of Tardis purchased at the dispensary. However, since these were opportunity seeds, that meant they were likely only half Tardis, and no clue what the male was that pollinated the Tardis flower to make the Tardis Lite seed. Likewise, on that same buy, we also purchased an ounce of Sour Banana Sherbert, and found a seed in that one as well, aka SBS Lite. That one ended up being male. and was used to pollinate some of the Tardis Lite branches, which brings us to the next level.

Now, crossing the Tardis Lite with Sour Banana Sherbert Lite makes for an offspring with such mixed lineage (only 1/4 each plus 1/4 each of what made the seeds) that I feel they can be called Wildlings. Now individual Wildling seeds, when they grow up, will get pet names for their plants they make, and then the buds from those will be named based on something relevant to the plant's name. And these names, I don't mind revealing, since they are one offs anyway. So, the three girls I have flowering out there now have been named Tinkerbell, Wildfire, and Bessie.

Wildfire's buds will simply be known as Wildfire-2020. That one is pretty obvious. After mulling it over a while, I determined Pixie Sass-2020 will be perfect for Tink, and then we have Bessie. This was a hard one to decide on.

This plant was first called Houdini (was born under the bottom railing of the enclosure and managed to escape from out of there). After it ended up proving female, I renamed it Bessie, after Houdini's stage hand, Beatrice or Bessie Houdini. And after I did a lookup on her and saw what a fetching little lady she was, dressed very much like the old circus Bally Broads, as they called them, Bessie's buds, if there are any, will be Ballyho Delight-2020.

Now though, it is time to smoke one more bowl of Tardis Lite tonight, and get more buds and spice processed before bed.

When I dabbled in breeding my own ..I named them by smell and or the effects of the herb ...evergreen (smelled like you stuck your face in a mound of evergreen bushes), five o live (smelt like the fruit drink Five o live) , No Pain ( very clean and clear with total body numbness, comfortably numb) . Fruit loops ( you guessed it , smelled like the cereal ) . It was just another fun part of growing and yet it could be difficult at time almost like naming an unborn child . lol
I think the name should have both the parents in in or close enough you can guess. Like granddads lavender for example is granddaddy purple crossed with lavender. I got a purple Moby dick. Lol, everyone laughs when I say that.

I am developing my own conventions on naming (I have always had a strange fascination with bestowing names, go figure).

First, I am frequently coming up with cool sounding names for strains, so am maintaining a private list of planned names. For the really awesome names, I am planning on keeping them secret until it is time for the reveal, others are just one shot names for a particular plant's buds, though some names may get reused with a different year tacked on.

Here are the naming procedures I am setting for myself, and am using now.

First is x Lite. This will be from what I call an opportunity seed, or what others call bag seed. For instance, my 2019 grow is called Tardis Lite, as back in 2018, I found a couple opportunity seeds in a bag of Tardis purchased at the dispensary. However, since these were opportunity seeds, that meant they were likely only half Tardis, and no clue what the male was that pollinated the Tardis flower to make the Tardis Lite seed. Likewise, on that same buy, we also purchased an ounce of Sour Banana Sherbert, and found a seed in that one as well, aka SBS Lite. That one ended up being male. and was used to pollinate some of the Tardis Lite branches, which brings us to the next level.

Now, crossing the Tardis Lite with Sour Banana Sherbert Lite makes for an offspring with such mixed lineage (only 1/4 each plus 1/4 each of what made the seeds) that I feel they can be called Wildlings. Now individual Wildling seeds, when they grow up, will get pet names for their plants they make, and then the buds from those will be named based on something relevant to the plant's name. And these names, I don't mind revealing, since they are one offs anyway. So, the three girls I have flowering out there now have been named Tinkerbell, Wildfire, and Bessie.

Wildfire's buds will simply be known as Wildfire-2020. That one is pretty obvious. After mulling it over a while, I determined Pixie Sass-2020 will be perfect for Tink, and then we have Bessie. This was a hard one to decide on.

This plant was first called Houdini (was born under the bottom railing of the enclosure and managed to escape from out of there). After it ended up proving female, I renamed it Bessie, after Houdini's stage hand, Beatrice or Bessie Houdini. And after I did a lookup on her and saw what a fetching little lady she was, dressed very much like the old circus Bally Broads, as they called them, Bessie's buds, if there are any, will be Ballyho Delight-2020.

Now though, it is time to smoke one more bowl of Tardis Lite tonight, and get more buds and spice processed before bed.
This is revalating! I actually like how you have come up with some of this!! Greay job!! I want more Info!!!

Typically named creatively by original breeders, then hybrids and crosses will typically make a play on the name by twisting up the name of the original with the crossed strain. One thing that really gets missed by most, both growers and consumers is that a blueberry or Strawberry Nightmare/Cough strain may only have that flavor in the properly chosen phenotype of that genetic. You could grow 30 blueberry DJ Short plants and maybe find one rock solid, real blueberry tasting and exuding pheno out of the whole bunch, or as typical with commercial stuff, the grower could just be growing out a few feminized seeds and just selecting the best one they can find out of just those few examples and not have taken the time to find the real solid blueberry pheno that truly exhibits best strength and blueberry flavors. The phenotype is extremely important. Some of the best blueberry smoke is just like the taste and smell of blueberry pies and muffins, and makes a whole room smell like the bakery. Most "blueberry" from dispensaries though will be bland and slightly non-descript sweet berry-ish scent/flavor but never does the dispensary stuff take the care to get that "Fresh real blueberry" flavor and smell. I just use that strain as an example. The real deal "OG Kush" pheno is so sour and so funky/musty/lemon fuely and most that grow the OG don't grow the true pheno, so you get into issues with the flavors of named strains primarily because of this reasoning.

To the original poster, with the real deal "Girl Scout Cookie" first made by Berner's crew, when you smoke it the aftertaste on exhale tastes like baked sweets, and was a cross of OG Kush X Durban Poison. You could grow 100 other plants that never get the same flavor as that original clone, and so you'd never taste what they meant when they even named it Girl Scout Cookie.

With dioecious plant varieties and genetics (meaning plants having distinctly separate male and female plants) you have a wild chance of variety and genetic traits, and each and every individual plant grown out can have a slightly different terpene profile as well as cannabinoid profile, and this is why you see tons of strains that specifically state they are "clone only" and this means, out of likely hundreds of plants and grows, one mother may have been found to show that flavor and yield and frostiness they were after with the name, and that's why it had to be cloned and turned into a clone mother. The seeds likely grow generic and wouldn't produce that "cookie" effect/flavor until you grew hundreds from seed and "pheno hunted" out the best of the best.
Fantastic response my friend!! Thats some great info, thanks so much for sharing! Damn, there really should be a Weed College! Come up with a name for that one!

Back
Top Bottom