Where do y'all store your seeds?

Cool dark place is the best. I keep mine in a separate container in the bottom of the fridge. While most of the time they have been this way. They also were frozen for years. My worry was that they may thaw out when I took them out to select new seeds. Over the years these have been frozen, refrigerated and packed away for moving. All my oldest strains still pop when needed. While my seeds are not super old I have had some since 1998 and still doing fine.

Cool dark place is the best. I keep mine in a separate container in the bottom of the fridge. While most of the time they have been this way. They also were frozen for years. My worry was that they may thaw out when I took them out to select new seeds. Over the years these have been frozen, refrigerated and packed away for moving. All my oldest strains still pop when needed. While my seeds are not super old I have had some since 1998 and still doing fine.
Yeah I had them in a drawer but it's been hot here lately so I'm scared

Prior heat issues should not be to much of a problem. Just keep in the fridge from now on and all should be good. Best of luck to you.

Prior heat issues should not be to much of a problem. Just keep in the fridge from now on and all should be good. Best of luck to you.
I just read in my grow book by Ed Rosenthal to put the seeds in a jar then the fridge. The jar will keep the moisture out. He says not to put them in the freezer.

I store 'em long term in the freezer at 0 F. in small plastic bags with rice in a styro box. I have seeds that are still viable after 40 years stored this way in the freezer. See my thread on 70's strains for more details. Shorter term for 5-10 years in the fridge, you can store them in a screw top lid plastic mayo jar in small bags with rice. Sci studies show that the colder they are stored, the less impact humidity will have on them. At 0 F, humidity impact is small. At 40 F refer temp, humidity will have a greater impact, so keep them DRY. At 50 F and higher temps, they will typically croak after a few years, faster in high humidity.

Back
Top Bottom