Where The Red Point Grows Smaller

Took a peek at them again after being gone for 4 hours.. Gawsh they love that light, driver gets pretty warm running full bore but the kids love it, and they put a sizeable dent in that ½" of nutrient solution.

16 days from sprouting on 11/13 light cycle. That reveg got left in the tent with the flowering light cycle so she will either hermie, die, or produce 1 bowl of bud. I think I will see what happens.

Some of these little pots have feeder roots hanging out the bottoms. Raised nute strength to just under ½ strength with just a dash of ca/mg. If they don't like it, I will know in the morning.

Plants don't seem to mind the extra nutrient strength. Tonight when I mix up my gallon I will do a full ½tsp of maxibloom and not add the ca/mg. Not sure why I added it last time. Just futzing around.

One of these red points is way taller than the others, likely a male ime but not guaranteed. Growing like a.... Weed. No pests, no defs, no burn on any of the babies so all is well.

Experience with this strain tells me that they will show sex no later than 4 weeks from sprout, and some will start to show by day 21. After that most will stretch for the almost the rest of their lives until I start flushing and force them to ripen by weeks 12-14. Damn landraces... I love them.

Day 21. 1 male showed and one female...

The Problem: We have a bunch of inspections and repairs in the apartment going to happen over the next two months. I can't continue to keep using my tent so I am running a Rubbermaid tote grow for a few minutes while things get squared away. I won't be able to keep growing these 7 plants. I am giving 6 to our close friends plus two more bag seed hempys as a birthday gift. They will be very happy with the end product, I am sure.

I am keeping the male that showed today. I will let him flower and will pollinate my SSDC (currently a seedling) with him. Not exactly the original intent of this grow, but it is better than nothing. I used to kill them when bad things happened, my how good genetics can change a person's ways. Lol.

I was pretty upset this morning when the news came down, but I am coping, albeit with no medicine.

I will grab a pic of my remaining male tomorrow. Not much going on otherwise...

I started ¾ strength maxibloom tonight to get those flowers going. He is healthy. Stem rub makes the fingers have an almost exotic(?) smell. Spends the night in his ghetto dark box and the day in my kitchen's south window. Seems happy for the majority of the day. Easy peezy... Most definitely pollinating my autos with him.

I know this run didn't go nearly the way I wanted it, but I feel like it is okay. I got a male, friends took the other 6 +2 hempys. We should pass inspection now, neighbor brought me an 18"x24"x60" filing cabinet and told me to have fun, and my other neighbor keeps giving me different buds all day long. Not going bad at all.

I think I am going to get some wire and put one QB in the cabinet and set up another similar box for the other QB so I can keep using my single driver. Biggest pains will be drilling the rivets out and cutting a hole for my 4"ducting. 3ft² isn't 10.6 but it is something. Hopefully with an excellent light I can still pull a decent harvest since I have the height and light penetration. Inside is already reflective. I am sure I could grow 2-3 40oz red point hempys in it, no problems.

Burning out guys, peace

QB's are back.... Sad I freaked out and off loaded so many plants. Now that I have a plant-sitter in my world I can grow as much as I want.

This male is getting some nice pollen sacs on him. Now, some more waiting.........

Waiting impatiently... More sacs are coming in. He is really happy with his little spot under my QB's. Doesn't have a really strong smell although it is pleasant. He seems to be growing to the perfect size in his tiny pot. I am going to be growing most of my breeding plants in this manner or in very small hempys (yes, smaller than 20oz).

Nothing much else going on. Just making observations in order to prepare for future breeding. My little guy is 26 days old now, I imagine pollen sacs will start to stack and be opening in the next week or two. I might not be able to safely pollinate my DDA (I will hit some lowers with pollen regardless) with him but definitely will be able to get that SSDC pregnant.

I still have to get a pic of him, but here is the lowdown on my lonely male red point...

He is 28 days old and producing a lot of new flowers each day, yet to open. His smell has increased and is pleasant but wife says he smells like a boy... Lol, she is goofy. I plucked one flower today to see what was going on inside. Appears to be getting really close to opening, guessing less than a week before they start. Of course I have no experience with males besides killing them so it really is a guess.

Observations in general of all of my red point crosses to date: they droop from about week 4 through maybe 8. This happened with all but one of my last 8 that I grew successfully and it is happening to my .male. Wife believes that this has to do with my restricted root space and growing them indoors. I don't think she is far off. I should be growing them all outdoors. These would be trees, every one of them, big beautiful trees.

Getting full strength (1tsp maxibloom per gallon) just like everyone else is now. I have dropped my pH closer to 5.5. If nobody likes that, after a full week passes, I will bring it back up to my normal 5.8-6.0 range...

All else is well. Probably won't be running too many red point crosses again until after winter. After all, it is still inspection season.

The seeds I get from this round will likely be set aside for further breeding/inbreeding to develop my own full automatic strain. Waiting on pollen first,

Ooopsy, I started soaking more seeds. Damn these little plants are kind of addictive to grow. For the integrity of this journal 2 of the 5 soaking are either The One x Columbian Red Point or Blue Orca x Columbian Red Point, some stoners forget to label things. I just grow them all the same. Lol

So, I am soaking those two, two seeds from a branch of Ocean Grown Alien Rift and one DDA by Rifleman.

All but the DDA are going in 4" square pots with a mix of my coco blend and gravel. They will sit in a drainage tray and be watered as needed. The DDA claimed a 40oz aquarium gravel Hempy. Not sure if any of these will be involved in future breeding. Just wanted to pop some more seeds to get back to the semi perpetual state I have been trying to maintain.

If either of my newest red points are male I will likely harvest and attempt to store the pollen, but honestly I am crossing my fingers for girls or maybe one of each and I will breed them. Idk, just going with the flow.

The Alien Rift is a heavy indica hybrid and is touted as highly hybridized. Lol, it tasted amazing when the wife's uncle grew it and I got me 2 seeds, should be feminized by rodelization. Just a crap shoot with random finds like that. If it isn't feminized like that it may be from some female pollen that popped up awhile back from some Jawa Pie he ran. He mono-crops so the possibilities aren't that numerous. Lol.

Male is just slacking on opening his flowers up... But growing beautifully. Still hoping to pollinate at least one branch of DDA.

Both of my latest Red Point Cross Seeds have broken through and are vigorous like I imagined... They always are.

Off topic of my sativas, one of my Alien Rift seeds popped and is looking healthy. The other seed was questionable and I see no signs of growth there so I have to plant something else........ Maybe an indica, I have a few Berry White bag seeds...

First flower started to open up today so I plucked it and rubbed the pollen all over a DDA bud, then decided I will let him shed in the tent naturally. Mo seeds is mo better. Let him go until I am sure both older autos (DDA and SSDC) are knocked up.

So, from my calculations this grow was not a complete loss. I got to make seeds, even though they aren't the seeds I planned on making.

Hopefully my two new red point cross seedlings will be a boy and girl so I don't feel like every seed is part of the last of a genetic pool. Lol. I suppose I could run seed crops all of the time. I just don't like the aspect of lower yields.

Friends that I gifted the other 6 red points to told me that they were all males and they tossed them out.... I know at least two were female and one was even marked... They chose to keep my two other bag seed hempys that I told them are prone to herms. Wife says not to sweat it, but damn.

So... My male has been harvested, matuer pollen sacs are drying in a paper bag for later use.
My 2 baby red point crosses are growing great.

Of my two alien rift seeds, one was viable and the seedling appears healthy.

So, I proved to myself that tiny (9cm) passive hydro pots can grow a male to maturity. I infer that I could also easily do this with a pollinated female. My experiment was much shorter in duration than I originally planned but what I could get done yielded positive results. Going to close this journal down as a success, however small...

Thanks to anybody that followed this sad little tale. Final pollination results will be available at the DDA thread in my signature.

Peace

Back
Top Bottom