Where to top?

bracer

Should I be topping this plant cutting the stem at the red line, removing only the newest barely formed leaves, or cut at the blue line and remove the newly forming leaves AND most recently fully formed leaves?

I have enough space for this to grow large so I’m not worried about keeping it small. I just don’t want to cut in the wrong place and do too much damage and kill it.
46A52A95-6A81-4EE5-97CC-01918CA9358B.jpeg

Blue line is topping. Just above the red will be fimming. Cutting at the red will also top it I guess. If you want a big plant I'd suggest filming it by cutting above the red line about 2/3 through that growth tip. So just below the bulge of that tear drop shape. Cut 2/3 off that item for 4 or more tops and much quicker recovery than topping. But yes If you are set on topping cut at the blue line.

To decrease apical dominance and have it spread to other grow tips resulting in a bushy plant instead of one stick
You mean like this?? Notice the bushy plant and no topping but there's a bend there if you look close enough. That bend (not topping) causes all the side branches to grow more.

Completely the opposite of "topping". Taking off the apical meristem is counter productive from a yield standpoint and also VERY to EXTREMELY stressful for the plant.
This method below - the plant doesn't even blink.

20201028_202018-jpg.2249632

Back
Top Bottom