Which author's grow book? Cervantes or Green?

Tokist

i've recently justified spending the thirty or so bucks on a hard copy of a good grow book. downside is, i can't get definitive answers on which one would best suit my needs.

as much as i would love to sit at barnes and noble for a couple hours poring over the pages of each candidate, my 9 months prego wife would have something to say about that. she cant stay entertained at barnes and noble as long as i can. and dont even ask me to leave her home, i wont dignify that with a response ;)

in any case, i've come down to three possible books.

the cannabis grow bible by greg green
marijuana horticulture by jorge cervantes
or ed rosenthal's marijuana growers handbook by... ed... rosenthal.

i've read that rosenthals book is poorly written and organized but it's also supposedly the textbook for oaksterdam u. not that that matters much i guess.

jorge cervantes is great to give you a general idea but i cant help but wonder if his book is just overhyped. EVERYONE says his book is great, but i find that oftentimes its a review from someone who doesnt actually own the book, they just pirated the dvd.

im looking for a book that goes into great depth and assumes NO prior experience. what little time i had with greens book was that it makes certain assumptions (even though it claims not to) about your prior knowledge.

my ultimate desire is a book that focuses on the science in action behind the scenes. i want to be taught what makes it tick, not "put a seed in the ground and with a bit of water, out comes a plant!" i believe that if you know the how behind something, it's much easier to troubleshoot when something goes wrong.

barnes and noble had a few other marijuana books on the shelves but i didnt pay much attention to them. most of them were coffee table picture books.

so, based on my needs, can anyone make a solid recommendation for either of these books? or possibly one i didnt mention?

I truly enjoy Rosenthal's book, I do not think it's poorly written at all. I believe Jorge's book is good for beginners, because it offers lots of bright colors, pictures etc. I found Rosenthal's book to be more detailed and scientific in its approach as if it was written for more seasoned growers.

Green makes fantastic books too, I would go with Rosenthal or Green.

Personally I started with Cervantes book. I had the same problem with people assuming you knew things, but I don't recall his having that problem. However the negative that comes with that is some times he doesn't go into enough detail. However the detail is confusing. Catch 22.

I'd go with Cervantes to get a hold of the basics and then use the internet to further explore particular areas. Granted I've never read greens book though.

oh and good old trial and error, I read two books, watched a dvd, and did internet research before hand and still bombed my first grow lol. Learned more practical information than any book taught me though.

I picked up the Cannabis Grow Bible by Green. It's not bad at all for a beginners book. Although it trys to mention just about everything. It doesn't really get too much into detail. It just stays with the basics. Well written. Lots of great pictures. It's not a bad refference book and is a great starter book. But ..... if you already know the basics, you'll probably want a more detailed book that goes further into the little things.

There's deffinitely more info on this site that there is in any of the books.

I have the one by Greg Green and I do not like it. It is too general and there are some things in there that are false. I have not read the one by Ed, but I have the very old Marijuana Growers guide by him and it was much better. So I would go with Ed if I was shopping for a new book.

I have both Ed and Jorge's books. For someone just starting out I would grab Ed's book. I read it in about a week and enjoyed it. Jorge's stuff has never appealed to me to read straight through. I will say that there is a ton of information here on 420 and would make sure to scour the FAQs before buying any books.

I know. It's a little off topic but you might like "cannabis cultivation a complete grower's guide" by mel thomas. Its where i started lol good book it's my grow bible its a little old but still good

All of the books mentioned are good for beginners who need to have some of the basics of growing a weed down and an understanding of the lifecycle of these plants.... but,

None of these books cover everything and some were written before many of the methods in use today were even developed. The world has changed since Ed and Jorge wrote their landmark works, and from the nutes that are available today, to the additives readily available via Amazon and other outlets, to the actual growing equipment available for purchase, the availability to easily available supplies has changed the cannabis world so profoundly that these books have become out of date.

Any of the 3 books you mentioned are good and necessary reading, just for the basics. After that though, get online and start reading about how modern growers are doing things. Just like in all things, you can't learn everything from books and there is no substitute for hands on experience. Just like owning a Betty Crocker cookbook doesn't make you a Chef, owning Ed's book will not make you an expert grower of weeds... but it is a start, and a basic recipe. It is up to you however, to put that icing on the cake, and to get those trichomes on your plants, and that my friend, only comes by doing.

i've recently justified spending the thirty or so bucks on a hard copy of a good grow book. downside is, i can't get definitive answers on which one would best suit my needs.

as much as i would love to sit at barnes and noble for a couple hours poring over the pages of each candidate, my 9 months prego wife would have something to say about that. she cant stay entertained at barnes and noble as long as i can. and dont even ask me to leave her home, i wont dignify that with a response ;)

in any case, i've come down to three possible books.

the cannabis grow bible by greg green
marijuana horticulture by jorge cervantes
or ed rosenthal's marijuana growers handbook by... ed... rosenthal.

i've read that rosenthals book is poorly written and organized but it's also supposedly the textbook for oaksterdam u. not that that matters much i guess.

jorge cervantes is great to give you a general idea but i cant help but wonder if his book is just overhyped. EVERYONE says his book is great, but i find that oftentimes its a review from someone who doesnt actually own the book, they just pirated the dvd.

im looking for a book that goes into great depth and assumes NO prior experience. what little time i had with greens book was that it makes certain assumptions (even though it claims not to) about your prior knowledge.

my ultimate desire is a book that focuses on the science in action behind the scenes. i want to be taught what makes it tick, not "put a seed in the ground and with a bit of water, out comes a plant!" i believe that if you know the how behind something, it's much easier to troubleshoot when something goes wrong.

barnes and noble had a few other marijuana books on the shelves but i didnt pay much attention to them. most of them were coffee table picture books.

so, based on my needs, can anyone make a solid recommendation for either of these books? or possibly one i didnt mention?
I like the books from online downloads (free) Robert Bergman 420

I agree that both Rosenthal and Cervantes’ books are worth having tho a little dated at this point, and Mel Frank is good too. The book by Green is not, it has errors and he has some quaint ideas about biology and evolution. His breeders bible is even worse, so i would not recommend his books.

You know I never had a chance before to shout out, but I agree that there's information in those books that is very dated. Even in the late 1980s much of it was going by the wayside even as the information then has been updated. As Emilyas post from so many years back, it holds true today. What works for one strain, will not always work with another the same way. That's why I love the forums here, and how it's being built up from the ground up to speak. GG

Back
Top Bottom