Which Hydro Setup for Me?

jojo677

I'm looking at going with a 5 gallon Hydro setup, with a 2'x2' SCROG on top. I will be using a 185W LED (actual draw), growing C99. I'm limited in space, so I don't want to have to remove the plant to water (as I have been doing), and noise is somewhat of an issue.

I'm interested in changing setups, and I'm definitely doing hydro, as it is an indoor grow in a small space, and I already have nutes (GH Flora Series). I just finished my first grow of Northern Lights and C99 in Promix (mostly peat moss) with added pearlite. I had a lot of issues getting the right ratio of ProMix to perlite and controlling pH, but finally got those worked out. I just didn't growing in it much and my yields were fairly low. I'd like to change to a medium where the pH is a little more controllable.

I currently have some clones of C99 rooting, and they will be planted in the next few days. I need to decide what setup to go with though. I was originally going to do a DWC SCROG, but I think I'd have trouble keeping the rootzone at a good temperature, as summer is coming up and the room isn't all that well temperature controlled (should stay under 80-85F). From what I've read, this would also be an issue with most active Hydro setups. Also, I don't like the idea of trying to monitor pH daily.

I'd like a system I can tend to every few days, which is leading me to consider a Hempy setup. I plan on using a 5 gallon bucket for the main grow, and maybe a smaller bucket to veg clones in a perpetual setup. It's quiet, you really only have to monitor pH going in, and only have to water every 3 or so days (at least until the end of flowering). This is what my research tells me.

Are there any other systems anyone would recommend? I am a DIY guy, so I'll make it all. Also, does medium matter that much? I have a bunch of perlite and expanded clay balls, but most people recommend perlite + vermiculite. Why's that?

I can supply pictures if needed, and I plan to add them for my final setup!

I grow in an outdoor shed with exterior temps normally in the 80s and 90s. Even with an AC unit, active hydro is not an option for me.
Soil works, but the speed of hydro always called to me.
I was extremely happy with hempy. It's worked out awesome in my hot world. So easy to deal with... no res, no water lines. Just a plastic pan to catch the runoff. You can leave it unattended for days.
I would highly recommend it.

Thanks for the replies guys, sounds like I may go Hempy, I'm not sure on the media yet, though. I may just use perlite (+ maybe vermiculite), since I have so much of it, and no other real use...

Another question: I was leaning toward a 5 gallon bucket, but is this too big? I know it'll take a little longer to veg, but I'm not really sure how big of a container I need to fit a 2'x2' SCROG. The screen will be 12" above the plant.

2 1/2 quart bubbler with 4 inch air stone. You can make a bubbler any
20150419_080142.jpg
size.

I appreciate all the input guys. I decided to go with a 3:1 perlite to vermiculite mix in a 5 gallon bucket. The 5 gallon may be a little overkill, but I was having trouble finding a 3.5 gallon bucket (I needed the 5 gallon lid to fit for my SCROG setup). I also modified the Hempy bucket a bit to allow for optional bottom draining. I'll be starting a journal soon, to document my process and hopefully get some input for better yields!

Back
Top Bottom