Which LED light to buy?

toxiq

Hi guys, I have a tent that is 2ft x 2ft x ~5ft and want to grow two plants in it.
I currently have a 400W HPS light that's costing a lot of money on electricity and we're worried it'll look suspicious.
To add to that, it's burning WAY too hot and we can't cool it down to lower that 82 *F because of space restrictions.

I was thinking about buying a Mars Hydro lamp. I have found them competitively priced but I just want to know what to do..

My dilemma is:
2x Mars Hydro 300
or
1x Mars Hydro 600

The 600 is a bit cheaper than the two. I'm just not positive about this, does 2 x 1 watt of light double the overall output of light?

That's actually a really good idea. It's only 20 euro more for the two, but would it be the same light output would you know?

I'm running 2 mars 300's in a 2x4x5 tent and my plants seem to be loving them.. this is my first indoor grow so I can't really advise you on led vs hid and what to expect yeild wise or anything but I did all the research I could before I decided on what lights to get and there are plenty of guys running mars and having great results with them.. I can't remember the guys YouTube name but I saw a vid of someone running pretty much the same setup as me and growing some great looking nugs.. as far as temps go I stay pretty steady around 78f-82f and my extractor fan is on the lowest I can turn it down to without being off.. the highest temp I've hit was 84f and that was a day I had the ac turned off in the house.. I have a grow journal going right now if you want to see my progression from seed to where I'm at now at 30 days

In the summer my closet gets up to 82 and the plants don't suffer. A 400 watt HPS in a 2x2' space is alot of light. Could you push/pull more air for a cooling effect? im growing in a 2'x4' (2x250 HPS with 3-24" florescent) and i'm finding 3 plants max works well for me using the scrog method. You could go with one super plant for better light penetration.

I do not think you need to go and buy a new light :) it will not increase yield or quality, and if your maxed @ 82 then heat is not an issue. Hydro costs are minimal @ 400Watts

In the summer my closet gets up to 82 and the plants don't suffer. A 400 watt HPS in a 2x2' space is alot of light. Could you push/pull more air for a cooling effect? im growing in a 2'x4' (2x250 HPS with 3-24" florescent) and i'm finding 3 plants max works well for me using the scrog method. You could go with one super plant for better light penetration.

I do not think you need to go and buy a new light :) it will not increase yield or quality, and if your maxed @ 82 then heat is not an issue. Hydro costs are minimal @ 400Watts

Running at 82 degrees is a good day. I've seen it at 88 some days. It's really hard to keep cool and I think it's because of the height of the tent. It's only about 5ft. The plants experienced heat stress and light burn when the lights were at 24" distance, so when they start to flower half of the plant will just keep getting burned no matter how much I train it. The LED will also help with a bit of stealth growing, we have an attic that is perfect, but it gets warm in the middle of the day (and will do in summer), so LED in the attic will be much better especially because we like to have people over for drinks etc.

It just seems better for us, it's just unfortunate that we bought the ballast and bulb :(

Running at 82 degrees is a good day. I've seen it at 88 some days. It's really hard to keep cool and I think it's because of the height of the tent. It's only about 5ft. The plants experienced heat stress and light burn when the lights were at 24" distance, so when they start to flower half of the plant will just keep getting burned no matter how much I train it. The LED will also help with a bit of stealth growing, we have an attic that is perfect, but it gets warm in the middle of the day (and will do in summer), so LED in the attic will be much better especially because we like to have people over for drinks etc.

It just seems better for us, it's just unfortunate that we bought the ballast and bulb :(

Ya the LED is better in the summer and helps with the heat but like Recklessjoint saying just post it online get some cash back

A basic calculation of light requirements with LED is 60 watts (actual) per plant , I can grow a large single plant in your tent under 85 watts no problem. The LED you mentioned (Mars II 400) consumes 177 watts actual (+-5%) and has 80 diodes. Little bit of math show us 2.2 watts per led so they are definitely using 5 watt diodes, good. I am not sure if 2 plants in a 2x2 is a great idea, but would require a minimum of 120 watts, with the Mars II 400 drawing 177 ish watts you will have no issues with power. Its seems a good fit for your grow. If you can find a panel that has similar actual wattage, but with 3 watt diodes you may save some money , but those panels will be larger and may not fit your tent properly.

Yeah go with two Marshydro 300. I only have one system in a 2x3 tent. That and a 600w Hps light i use in combination to 24hrs of light with the Mars. Due to heat I only have it on when I'm home. Running it 6hrs. Mostly got the hps for more flowering power. Although I could've doubled up on the Marshydro. Just wanted to give hps a try.

Also on the tube at NoobGrow

A basic calculation of light requirements with LED is 60 watts (actual) per plant , I can grow a large single plant in your tent under 85 watts no problem. The LED you mentioned (Mars II 400) consumes 177 watts actual (+-5%) and has 80 diodes. Little bit of math show us 2.2 watts per led so they are definitely using 5 watt diodes, good. I am not sure if 2 plants in a 2x2 is a great idea, but would require a minimum of 120 watts, with the Mars II 400 drawing 177 ish watts you will have no issues with power. Its seems a good fit for your grow. If you can find a panel that has similar actual wattage, but with 3 watt diodes you may save some money , but those panels will be larger and may not fit your tent properly.

wow LED is coming a long way give it 5 more years and LED will be better then HPS hell I'm already thinking it lol

I posted a thread about the same question. Led is a lot cheaper and people told me led's got a bad rep but came a long way. my tent is 4x5 and was suggested to get 400 true watts. 50w per square foot. I bought 3 mars 300 lights and they are 132 true watt a light. I'm a little under but it shall do :p.
A 600 would be plenty and then some.
A 300 would be a cheaper route or even 2 of them would be cheaper than the 600.

hi toxiq,based on your coverage 2'x2',you can also think about the Reflector 48,coverage is 2'x2',power consumption is 120V: 102W±5%,240V: 100.6W±5%;Reflector 96 coverage is 2'x3' ,power consumption is 120V:207W±5%, 240V: 203W±5%;Mars II 400 coverage is 2.5'x2.5',power consumption is 120V:177W±5%, 240V: 173.9W±5%.
you can check our website:LED Grow Lights.
If you need to know anything ,please feel free to tell me.:high-five:

Spend the long dollar and buy a reflector or II series MH led.. They cover the IR spectrum, I'm pretty sure the pro line (all white model) doesn't. Check the specs on the 2 pack you're looking at. Read up on The Emerson Effect and you will understand why i suggest getting an LED with IR. It speeds up photosynthesis.

Posted via my iPhone 6s from Above and Beyond... Stay high

Back
Top Bottom