Which LED?

Sdunny

420 Member
Hello all,

Like many others I’ve been sifting through LED lighting to try and find perfect setup for my tents.

The tents will be
2 5x5s going full cycle veg-flower
Or
1 5x9 full veg to flower with multiple lights

The lighting im trying to choose between

Timber Fatty vs :
Vero29 gen 7 COB lighting fixture
950 total wattage
PPF: 2100 micromol
PPFD: 905

Fluence Spyder 2p:
PPF : 1600
Watts : 650
Efficacy : 2.5

I’m somewhat new to LED lighting but I have the option to get 2 lights whether it be one of each or two of the same. It seems to me that the spydrs are much more efficient and can be placed very close to the plants and the timbers are stronger and further away?
Thoughts?

Thanks for quick reply, am I reading it right that the timber lights are stronger? Or is it just different because of how they expect you to setup the lights / distance from the plants ?
Not sure which is stronger. I'm saying the bars distribute the light better and more efficiently than cobs :)

Here is a link to a grow journal where the tent space is a bit bigger than yours (10x10, IIRC) where they are using HLG-600's.

Linked to a good starting post where the grow is being built.

Follow through it, and you'll see some explosive, awesome growth. Then there comes a time when a discovery is made... the lights are only running at 50%. They were dimmed down initially, and never bumped up. Harvest is just finishing up on the first round, and it was left at 50% power. Still waiting on the final dried total, but let's just say it's been a damn impressive grow for 50% power.

Just some food for thought.

I've seen some homebuilt COB setups running one per square feet @ 50 watts each that were... amazing.

I'm going to be trying out some new Red Spec. Quantum Boards for flowering light's next week for @BudgetLED
They're a new sponsor of 420 magazine.
Built in America
Quality Samsung diodes.
Built by growers for growers!

They come with a full 3 year warranty,
HLG light's only come with a 1 year warranty.
You should stop in and check them out.

Longer warranties are often a good thing, but this doesn't guarantee a first class product. About ten years ago I read an article about laptops. Mainly what I remember from it was that the failure rate at the time was up to 27% with some well-known brands, and that the companies with the worst ones were building them so cheaply that they were still making a good profit because they were building the things so cheaply that they could simply consider the replacement costs as just another business expense :rolleyes: . It was kind of an eye-opener for me.

On the other hand... Not long before Pop died, he gave me his old automotive battery charger. The voltage on it is adjustable so that it can charge multiple batteries at once. At first, I wasn't sure why it only went up to 60 volts if it could charge "up to ten batteries." So I did some searching, and it turned out that it was made in the early 1950s, lol. He never had any trouble with it.

Here's hoping your new light is more like that older battery charger than a cheap laptop, lol.

I'm going to be trying out some new Red Spec. Quantum Boards for flowering light's next week for @BudgetLED
They're a new sponsor of 420 magazine.
Built in America
Quality Samsung diodes.
Built by growers for growers!

They come with a full 3 year warranty,
HLG light's only come with a 1 year warranty.
You should stop in and check them out.
Mean Well drivers, too. I've been eyeballing them for a bit.

Thanks for the plug above. Thanks for the warranty feedback.

However, we sell a great grow light. We warranty our product because they are built well and with quality components. We are growers. We started this company with the mission to bring a high quality grow light to growers at a reasonable price.

Back
Top Bottom