Which LEDs for a 4x4?

Canna da 420

420 Member
I have used a Mars 2 900w for a few years in 3x3 tent, time for an upgrade as I use a 4x4 now and the light is old and just doesn't get the yields and potency it used to.

I am growing in coco now, used to grow in a waterfarm, but only 1 plant at a time. Using 3g smart pots with coco so I can grow 4 at time, more options for smoke you know?

So which of these lights would you choose? Money isn't really an issue, but I grow for personal use and I've narrowed down my choices to these. No sense blowing hundreds of dollars more just to say I have this or that. I'm in Canada, probably order through Amazon.

Mars Hydro TS3000: Seems good, core coverage of 4x4 for flowering. My concern would be it is "just enough" for the tent.

Mars Hydro TSL2000: good for 2x4, so I'd purchase two units. But would they be that much better than just the one TS3000 for the cost? Again, I'm not tied into any budget, but the Mrs doesn't endorse me spending a crap load more just because I can :)

Phlizon CREE COB 3000W LED: Cheapest option, but a blurple right? Read good things, similar to Mars reviews. Unless anyone can convince me that it is better than the previous two I'd probably not choose it.

I've read a lot about lights, and I know how important light is. I'd appreciate your input folks!

I'd go with the 2 X TSL-2000s from Mars Hydro. They'll give you an extra 150W over the TS-3000, and extra flexibility with your grows for only $60 more.

The extra flexibility comes into play when you have plants that grow to different heights, or have different light requirements. You can also cut back your power consumption during the early stages when you might only need 1/2 of a TSL-2000 for seedlings and early veg. You can enable more light as your plants need it.

Welcome. A sponsor here, made in USA and vet owned on top of Samsung LEDs
Series 2+ Red Spec 480 Watt Dimmable Grow Light
BUDGET LED is the best bang for your buck imho
Thanks for the input guys. @BudgetLED do you ship to Canada? How long does it generally take?

I'd go with the 2 X TSL-2000s from Mars Hydro. They'll give you an extra 150W over the TS-3000, and extra flexibility with your grows for only $60 more.

The extra flexibility comes into play when you have plants that grow to different heights, or have different light requirements. You can also cut back your power consumption during the early stages when you might only need 1/2 of a TSL-2000 for seedlings and early veg. You can enable more light as your plants need it.

Hi OldSalt. I've read all your grows as I was brushing up on coco grows and of course the lights. Great work.

I can definitely agree that flexibility is a must. My current grow is Grand daddy purple and Durban Poison. The GDP is pretty much half the height of DP! Albeit bushy AF! So I guess that is a bonus of two lights for sure. Although I will probably just scrog them to the same canopy level in the end.

Depending on BudgetLED I think the way to go is two TSL2000.

Thank you all for the input thus far!

Thanks for the input guys. @BudgetLED do you ship to Canada? How long does it generally take?

Hi OldSalt. I've read all your grows as I was brushing up on coco grows and of course the lights. Great work.

I can definitely agree that flexibility is a must. My current grow is Grand daddy purple and Durban Poison. The GDP is pretty much half the height of DP! Albeit bushy AF! So I guess that is a bonus of two lights for sure. Although I will probably just scrog them to the same canopy level in the end.

Depending on BudgetLED I think the way to go is two TSL2000.

Thank you all for the input thus far!

Yes we do ship to Canada! Normally, orders ship within 24 hours of order placement. Most orders are received within 3 to 7 business days based on your location.

For your 4 x 4, one of our 480w kits would be perfect. I would reccomend our red spec in 3500k. It's a proven producer.

If you wanted more flexibility, two 250w kits would also do great. You can currently save 10% using discount code 420mag.

IMG_20191103_170255_657.jpg

IMG_20191102_203221_684.jpg

Can you provide a little detail on what the difference is between the 3000k and the 3500k is? While I know it's important I don't have the time to research it. A quick synopsis would be fantastic.

Thanks again. I'm leaning towards the Series 2+ 480w.

Here is a good diagram I just snagged on google.

You can see the shift in lighting from 3000k to 5000k. Think of it like bulbs in your house (daylight, soft white, etc.). Each kelvin measure produces a certain spectrum. The additional blue offered in the 3500k will help in veg. You can veg with 3000k, however we suggest 3500k because in testing, it vegs better.

20191013_071957.jpg

Ok gotcha. So, I have a veg tent already, and the new light is for flower. So your 3000k would be best for that I assume?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my "probably-asked-a-million-times" questions :)

Ok gotcha. So, I have a veg tent already, and the new light is for flower. So your 3000k would be best for that I assume?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my "probably-asked-a-million-times" questions :)

Definitely get the red spec in 3000k. You will not be disappointed. The pics above are grown under the red spec in 3000k. Also, check out John Wicks grow journal in our sig. Wick is using the same 3000k set-up.

If you wanted more flexibility, two 250w kits would also do great. You can currently save 10% using discount code 420mag.

This! (2) of the 250's are awesome sauce in a 4x4.

I would highly recommend the Budget LED's. You absolutely cannot beat them for the price. I looked at building my own light, more out of curiosity and wanting to tinker, but I could not get the same results for less.

I would like to offer a suggestion of adding a "full spec" board to each unit, so that each one has 1 r-spec and 1 full spec. I say this as an option as the full spec has a little UVA and a hair further into the IR spec.

Then with two of those lights, simply turn one around the other way, so the r-spec are diagonal from each other. So on the back panel, maybe the r-spec is on the right, and on the front panel it's on the left.

Now it's not something you have to do, but they do offer it as an option if you would like to take advantage of that setup.

You could also supplement with a little UV light towards the end of flower, and not mess with mixed boards.

Either way, for a nominal increase in cost, you get top of the line LED chips. Now mars are good lights, but their chips aren't top end. Nothing wrong with that, and if a Mars light fit my needs, I wouldn't hesitate to get one. However, you're not going to beat the Budget LED's for the price and quality.

It's also really nice to be able to have one panel running, and the other off when in the early stages. Also being able to specifically position each light versus one big panel. In a 4x4 it is definitely a nice option to have. AND it comes out to $1 cheaper! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have used a Mars 2 900w for a few years in 3x3 tent, time for an upgrade as I use a 4x4 now and the light is old and just doesn't get the yields and potency it used to.

I am growing in coco now, used to grow in a waterfarm, but only 1 plant at a time. Using 3g smart pots with coco so I can grow 4 at time, more options for smoke you know?

So which of these lights would you choose? Money isn't really an issue, but I grow for personal use and I've narrowed down my choices to these. No sense blowing hundreds of dollars more just to say I have this or that. I'm in Canada, probably order through Amazon.

Mars Hydro TS3000: Seems good, core coverage of 4x4 for flowering. My concern would be it is "just enough" for the tent.

Mars Hydro TSL2000: good for 2x4, so I'd purchase two units. But would they be that much better than just the one TS3000 for the cost? Again, I'm not tied into any budget, but the Mrs doesn't endorse me spending a crap load more just because I can :)

Phlizon CREE COB 3000W LED: Cheapest option, but a blurple right? Read good things, similar to Mars reviews. Unless anyone can convince me that it is better than the previous two I'd probably not choose it.

I've read a lot about lights, and I know how important light is. I'd appreciate your input folks!
raging kush

Hi @Canna da 420, Thanks for using Mars Hydro so long time and still considering us. :) Now the new lights although are very low wattage, you might think they might not enough, but they are actually very efficient, with over 2.15~2.35umol/j , and we have tested. We do recommend the coverage depend on the PPFD from the side data which will be suitable for each status, so that you can be assured that the recommended coverage will be enough for your growing :) If you are concernd that TS 3000 might not be enough, two of the TSL 2000 will be definitely enough, the light itself can fill the tent full already. :D

Back
Top Bottom