Which soil to get from Bunnings or Masters?

Rodgers

Hey guys,

As you would all know I'm new to growing and I just received my seeds in the mail yesterday.

Now the fun part starts.

I've got a question for my Aussie growers out there. Without making it to complicated is there a soil that you can suggest which can be purchased from Bunnings or masters? I just checked their website and they've got heaps! As its my first grow I thought I'd ask those of more experience for help.

It'll be for an indoor grow in a space bucket so I won't be growing a huge tree that yields 400 grams. Just enough for myself. It'll hopefully grow to a max height of 70-80 cm tall.

Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks in advance and Rodger that!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I would recommend using Fox Farms-Ocean Forest soil with some pear-lite mixed in to lighten it. The soil itself should support the plants nutritional needs at least for the first several weeks of it's life. After that, I would recommend using soil-based nutrients like the Fox Farms Nutrient Trio to provide nutrients for the rest of its life. Hope this helps and good luck on your grow!

Make masters n bunnings have amgrow mixes. If using soil as a medium id 50/50 that with perlite. Also from master n bunnings.
But master has a huge block of coco coir and thats my suggestion for a medium.
Staight coir husks and light nutes. Perfect.

Sent from my SM-J110F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Try a seedling based soil with coco perlite and half the recommended dose of seaweed extract. Use this up until flush of water. Add a little molasses late flowering about half teaspoon with flush then water only last weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

never buy the cheapo potting mixes as they often have very large quantities of woodchips(up to 90% per volume) which is not good for your plants, even the best premium potting mixes may contain up to 50% woodchips...try sifting them out, woodchips are a cheap bulking agent added by potting mix manufacturers instead of having a pure quality product!, ive found a great potting mix with; 4 parts coco coir/2 parts compost/3 parts perlite with added organic ferts like blood & bone/dyno lifter/ etc...gives more buffer than just using straight coco which essentially needs to be treated like rockwool regarding nutrient dosage

Hi Rodgers,

Any PREMIUM potting mix will be fine to use. I have had successful grows using Debco premium potting mix from Masters but you may not be able to get that anymore so just find a good one from Bunnings. You will get a lot of different answers to your question so just keep it simple and don't over complicate things for your first grow as it can get very overwhelming as their is SO MUCH information out there and everyone has their own way of doing things. My suggestion, and its only a suggestion, would be to use 70% soil and 30% Perlite. You can get a big bag of Perlite from any hydro shop. Don't buy it at Bunnings. It is WAY to expensive! You can add a bit of Dynamic Lifter and Blood and Bone to your soil also but just a couple of tablespoons per 50L otherwise your soil will be to hot and you will burn your babies. What are you planning on using for Nutrients? It is always better to go a bit lighter on the nutes at first then built your way up to full strength. For my outdoor grow I am using 50% soil, 25% coco, and 25% Perlite. My plants are very happy girls. Anyhow if you have any questions please feel free to ask away. More than happy to help. Good luck with your grow. Bombs away! :cheer:

Growgurl is right, the best, cheapest and easiest way is to go to a hydro shop. Buy a couple "mega-bricks" of nutrifield coco; about 12$ each which makes up 55 litres each, and a big bag of coarse perlite; $30 for 100lt; (Bunnings is like $10 for 1lt), lasts for ages. Plus the nutes of your choice.
Done!
You can experiment with composts/potting mix/garden soil/whatever mixed with a 50/50 mix of that coco and perlite, or just use that coco and perlite on its own. The Bunnings coco is crap, the Nutrifield is excellent for not very much more.. And you'll have a shitload!
KISS and you will have no dramas.
Greenzorro is also right. The cheap mixes are usually shite; too much bark/chips, usually pine. Too acidic. Also, you mite end up with pests/seeds/misc bad stuff... Most of those potting mixes are made from green waste that WE take to the tip, plus leftovers form commercial (pine) saw mills/wood chipping. The expensive stuff is a lot better, and perfectly fine, but you'll usually get a lot of unneeded additives, like "6 months" feed or whatever.. All well and good, but what do you add?? And when???
Best to DIY. You can put in nutes, but you can't take out!
:thumb:

I would recommend using Fox Farms-Ocean Forest soil with some pear-lite mixed in to lighten it. The soil itself should support the plants nutritional needs at least for the first several weeks of it's life. After that, I would recommend using soil-based nutrients like the Fox Farms Nutrient Trio to provide nutrients for the rest of its life. Hope this helps and good luck on your grow!
FOX FARM NOT AVAILABLE IN AUSTRALIA

never buy the cheapo potting mixes as they often have very large quantities of woodchips(up to 90% per volume) which is not good for your plants, even the best premium potting mixes may contain up to 50% woodchips...try sifting them out, woodchips are a cheap bulking agent added by potting mix manufacturers instead of having a pure quality product!, ive found a great potting mix with; 4 parts coco coir/2 parts compost/3 parts perlite with added organic ferts like blood & bone/dyno lifter/ etc...gives more buffer than just using straight coco which essentially needs to be treated like rockwool regarding nutrient dosage
hi i am macca or al i am new to growing you said you found a good potting mix which sounds good can you share name and where you get it form cheers mate

Osmacote premium anything at bunnings under $10-$12 discard, I think I paid like $14 for 25L osmacote premium which also contains small bark, wood chips, twigs etc. just Siff through it & remove any bulk bits & keep/use what’s left.
I’ll pull out 2-3L bulk waste leaving a good 20+L useable.
Also brought 5L bags of perlite & vermiculite & chicken manure & add these to my mix.
pH is around 6.5-7.5 the heavier on chicken manure the higher the ph, so go less is more concept...

Cheers
Lickmycrits.

Which idk why, an importer would make a killing on a couple of containers full happy frog or anything fox farm into au.
? Why would Australia want to import polluted soil when we have most of a continent untouched?
Now, some Yanks could make a killing importing our black gold..

Plenty of potting mixs to choose from .. nursery's hydroshops hardware stores... If know where to buy, there are plenty already selling their own super soils designed for Cannabis..

Hi Rodgers,

Any PREMIUM potting mix will be fine to use. I have had successful grows using Debco premium potting mix from Masters but you may not be able to get that anymore so just find a good one from Bunnings. You will get a lot of different answers to your question so just keep it simple and don't over complicate things for your first grow as it can get very overwhelming as their is SO MUCH information out there and everyone has their own way of doing things. My suggestion, and its only a suggestion, would be to use 70% soil and 30% Perlite. You can get a big bag of Perlite from any hydro shop. Don't buy it at Bunnings. It is WAY to expensive! You can add a bit of Dynamic Lifter and Blood and Bone to your soil also but just a couple of tablespoons per 50L otherwise your soil will be to hot and you will burn your babies. What are you planning on using for Nutrients? It is always better to go a bit lighter on the nutes at first then built your way up to full strength. For my outdoor grow I am using 50% soil, 25% coco, and 25% Perlite. My plants are very happy girls. Anyhow if you have any questions please feel free to ask away. More than happy to help. Good luck with your grow. Bombs away! :cheer:
What soil are y6u6uoh using for outdoor grow

I have just started my first grow and I ordered canna terra professional through aqua gardening. I've now made a few orders with this company over the last 3 weeks with great delivery times!
These are my baby's, 23 days since germinated seeds touched soil

Attachments

• IMG_20200223_171812.jpg
    IMG_20200223_171812.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 1,936
Another Aussie here, frustrated with either everyone just saying 'Fox Farms' or spelling out some super weird recipe that is all greek to a beginner. I've spent hours trying to research it as a noob. I just want a soil I can go buy and start with in a tent grow, some people will say just grab a bag of premium Osmocote from Bunnings. Then others will shoot that idea down as stupid, you don't want any 'NPK soils'.
Then the 'coco' suggestions come in. In threads that ask what SOIL in a indoor grow is needed.. huh that isn't soil? So now we are growing hydro yeah? Which everyone says is way harder for a beginner, just do a soil 1st grow, you don;t need to worry as much about ph of water.. so then the loop starts again.. what soil? Fox Farms!
Then others say get a 'living soil' that only need water. But then others will say no they actually add nutes to that water in living soil grows. Huh? That living soil in Australia is (a) crazy expensive (b) always stocked in some middle of nowhere location and (c) out of stock everywhere.
All I want is a step by step Australian based guide as to what soil to get for a 4x4 tent grow under LED, where to buy it, and not using strange terms like 'guano' or 'lifter' like a beginner knows what the heck they are (I know it's a lot to learn but I can't even pin down what to buy and not make a mistake that rears it's head in 4 months).
I thought the light choice was hard to pin down through a sea of opinion and sponsored posts but this basic thing - soil and where to get it in my area, super frustrating especially now I have all the other kit ready.

Back
Top Bottom