White fungus on Rapid Rooters after 3 days in a propagator: is this a problem?

jnt62

Hey Folks

This is my 2nd grow and the 1st using Rapid Rooters. After 3 days in the propagator, there is a white dusting to be seen on top of the Rooters. Do I have a problem? If so is there something I can do for it or should I start all over? 4 of the 8 seeds have popped up. I soaked the seeds in RO water for 36 hours before putting the popped and cracked seeds in the rooters

Thanks for reading my post

Attachments

• fungus1.jpg
    fungus1.jpg
    684.5 KB · Views: 129
  • fungus2.jpg
    fungus2.jpg
    522.6 KB · Views: 214
...I have had that too, with no ill effect to my plants, not sure what it is though... could be powder mildew or just the rooter surface drying out.
Thanks for responding. I attached a couple of pics since you responded. Being relatively new to growing I get concerned when I see something like that. Thanks again for chiming in.

Yeah its mold/pm. Not much you can do it will go away once you transplant.

Can try watering with a 10:1 ratio of water to peroxide.

I usually soak my seeds in that mix and then water the pellets with that water after the seeds get tails I put the tails down into the pellet.

I use peat pellets - those rooters I've put them in my compost bin and they take longer that 2 years to break down if they ever do which is weird.

You could spray some 3% peroxide on the top to kill that off. I wouldn't dilute any more than 3:1 for it to be effective. At this stage you don't need to water the whole thing with it.

It is a fungus that causes stem rot tho I have no idea if that white fuzz is the same one. Best not to have unknown fungi hanging around sprouts tho.

Most of the time it's a green fungus grows on top of pots which is feeding off nutes and needs light to grow. Seems harmless and usually goes away once plants are big enough to shade the surface. When I feed I like to use some plain water at the end to wash any nutes off the surface so that green stuff doesn't grow. I don't bother spraying with peroxide or anything but I rarely have any to spray.

:peace:

Yeah its mold/pm. Not much you can do it will go away once you transplant.

Can try watering with a 10:1 ratio of water to peroxide.

I usually soak my seeds in that mix and then water the pellets with that water after the seeds get tails I put the tails down into the pellet.

I use peat pellets - those rooters I've put them in my compost bin and they take longer that 2 years to break down if they ever do which is weird.
You could spray some 3% peroxide on the top to kill that off. I wouldn't dilute any more than 3:1 for it to be effective. At this stage you don't need to water the whole thing with it.

It is a fungus that causes stem rot tho I have no idea if that white fuzz is the same one. Best not to have unknown fungi hanging around sprouts tho.

Most of the time it's a green fungus grows on top of pots which is feeding off nutes and needs light to grow. Seems harmless and usually goes away once plants are big enough to shade the surface. When I feed I like to use some plain water at the end to wash any nutes off the surface so that green stuff doesn't grow. I don't bother spraying with peroxide or anything but I rarely have any to spray.

:peace:
I found an article about this and it recommends using H2O2: Rapid Rooters & white fungus. The seedlings are looking good. I learned to not overwater Rapid Rooters.:rolleyes: It looks like I'll have 2 harvests a couple of weeks apart. I don't think I'll have any more problems with Rapid Rooters. When these 4 have adequate roots I'll plug them into the system and do the same with the other two when they are ready. I'll try to update this thread as it becomes available. Much Thanks Guys

Back
Top Bottom