White Rhino Fem In 4-Way Scrog Under CMH 315W Gaslight Schedule

LiberalThinker

Thought I'd start recording what I'm doing.

Equipment:

T5's (germination), HPS and 315w CMH. 70L DWC with the plant in a Root Riot cube and Hydroton. Nutes are GH Flora Trio with seaweed extract and silica additives. pH down is nitric acid for veg and phosphoric acid for flower. I don't use pH up. I'm using bacterial and mychorrizal additives. 4 x 4 x 72 tent but the scrog space will be 1 metre square.

Method:

I treat the water with ascorbic acid for dechlorination, add silica, then drop the pH to about 5 with nitric acid for veg then add the nutes. The initial pH will be about 5.5, which is my target and recommended by GHS for WR. I let the pH ride up to 6ish during the grow before bringing it back down again. I'll spray once a week with an Epsom, MKP, calcium EDTA mix. I will measure ppm's and top up with water if it's too high and redo the tank when ppm drops 25%. I shall use a citric acid/potassium carbonate buffer to stabilise pH.

Initially, for the first couple of weeks, the plant was on an 18/6 but have decided to use the Gaslight schedule, which is a 12/12 with a one hour light interruption in the middle of the plant's night. I'm currently just hand watering until the 4-way branching is established and then it will go into the DWC with the scrog set up. These are the first pictures:

At 7 days:

White Rhino 7 days.jpg

At 17 days:

WP_20190514_16_50_49_Rich.jpg

At 20 days I've topped it. I forgot to take a picture before this was done. There was two more sets above the cut:

White Rhino Topped 20 days.png

It's been under 250w Philips HPS but from tomorrow should start under the CMH. When the plant is under the light the side of the pot and top is covered with light proof plastic so the roots can spread to the edge and keep the humidity high in the pot.

Beautiful looking plant
Yeah, thanks, I think so too. I sprouted two others in two earlier false starts and they didn't have the vigour or symmetry of this one. I've knocked it out of the pebbles three times and just chopped it, and yet it carries on regardless, like nothing happened. The roots are compact and bushy after the tap root air-pruned itself when it reached the bottom of the net pot. I'm in no hurry with this plant as I want to do what I think is ultimately most productive rather than what's quickest. Time efficiency can come later.

Haha that's the best way to do it let them roots fill out there space and u will have a very nice dense root ball
Yes, I've read DWCing too early, before the roots are abundant and mature enough, seems to be an important cause of problems later. They probably need more air than water in the earliest stages. Just a guess. I want a high yielding plant, so as big and dense a root system as possible seems sensible.

Lookin real nice I got a plant pic on day 21 for comparison topped as well shes a ww auto tho
20190408_214018_HDR_Signature.jpg
Nice, I notice you topped yours one node above mine. I'm making use of the shoots from the one-finger and the 3-finger above that. It's the the only pruning I'll do through the whole grow. I aim to move stuff out the way in flower if needed.

Ya I left 3 node sets on pretty happy with her today lol
20190518_193840.jpg
Very nice. I've gone 4-way because I want each branch to head to each corner and I want plenty of space in between to see how it develops on the scrog and not have too many branches to deal with. I'm not fussed about filling the space and maximising yield this time. I'm just enjoying doing it and learning this method. Everything about this grow style is new to me. All previous grows have been in dirt and straight up with a supercrop.

Update: Had a bad accident with the plant tipping out the pot too many times, damaging the roots, so culled it and replanted another a fewdays ago. Will carry on this thread with this plant and everything is and will be the same as outlined but the only difference is this one is started in rockwool as it holds the plant more securely and is better protection from my clumsiness. Here it is as of now:

White Rhino 31st May.jpg

While I'm waiting for the plant, I'm thinking about doing a run with the tank without the plant in to see how/if the ppms and ph vary over time. If it holds ok, after a couple of days I'll add bacteria and see if the added potassium carbonate/citric acid buffer recipe can keep the overall pH in range for a reasonable time. I do know from making up solutions for watering the seedlings mycorr/bacteria raise pH faster than without them.

I'm still pondering on whether to tie the branches down on the net as it spreads or let it grow under it and tucking, which seems to be the usual method. Anybody have any comments on that?
Not sure which is the better method but i just tuck them under as they grow... I'm still on my first scrog atm so they may need more support as the buds get heavier

Not sure which is the better method but i just tuck them under as they grow... I'm still on my first scrog atm so they may need more support as the buds get heavier
I'll decide when I get there. To stiffen up your plants, give them a shake everyday until the stems go woody. I do this from a seedling and then just do it later when I think it needs it. In nature, the wind causes the fibres to break and they harden off. I do a rapid but shallow sort of shaking, not in a way that that they might sway too much and break. Commonsense should tell you how it needs to be done for the stage of the plant.

I have an air diffuser which keeps the plants gently moving, my issue is that with a scrog lots of smaller branches make it up which (hopefully) will have decent sized buds.
My friend suggested i put an extra net across lower down for that very reason... of course i ignored his advice lol :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom