White Russian soil grow from seeds

berrydizzle

Whats goin on guys? Berrydizzle here to take you on an up close and personal look at the grow of my White Russian seeds from Serious Seeds. If you fellow growers arent familiar with White Russian, its a cross between White Widow and AK-47, 2 of the best types of bud that I have smoked. It has been my dream ever since I started growing 2 years ago to get these seeds and I finally have. I cant wait to get this started.

In case you guys didnt know, I had to cut my last batch of plants down after 30 days due to spider mites. I am going to bug bomb my house tomorrow(Saturday) and then scrub the walls of my bathroom top to bottom with bleach. I will be using my tub for the seedlings till I order a 400W MH/HPS switchable system, and they will be under a 125W floro. I think I will kill myself if I let these seeds get spider mites.

So I went to my grow store today and picked up some Fox Farm Ocean Forrest soil and 11 1 gallon pots. I will be germinating the seeds using a paper towel method then placing them directly into the soil. I plan to keep them in the 1 gallon pots for about a month, then transplant to 3 gallon pots, start giving nutes and probably flower. Going to follow in fellow member Beensmoking420's footsteps, as he has a great operation going on right now with fox farm products. Well Im out for now, just wanted to get this thread going, I plan to plant soon. Ill keep in touch. :allgood:

Ok, so I soaked the seeds overnight in some water. Got up this morning and put them in a moist paper towel in a baggie, and put it on the top shelf in one of my closets that are nice and warm. Hopefully they will pop sometime today or tomorrow and I can put them in the 1 gallon pots with soil. When I do this I am going to fill the pots with soil, then make a hole with my pinkie finger about 1/2 inch down, then put the seed in with the taproot down and cover with soil. I will probably water the soil before I put the seed in so I dont have to pour alot of water in and risk the seed being pulled down into the pot. Anyone have a guess on how long until the plants will outgrow the 1 gallon pots that I am starting them in?

Good news too, there are dead bugs all over my house thanks to the bug bombs, so hopefully all the mites are dead too. I am still going to scrub my tub and bathroom with bleach before I pot the seeds, just to be sure those little fuckers dont mess with me anymore. Im out for now. Hopefully Ill have pics up soon.

Anyone have a guess on how long until the plants will outgrow the 1 gallon pots that I am starting them in?

I grew my rhino's to right around 1ft in pots that were a bit smaller than one gallon. They grew fine, as you have seen and the transplant was so easy. I guess the question is how tall do you want them to be b/f you flower them? A have read a good rule of thumb is For ever foot you desire in overall height add a gallon for that foot meaning: 1ft.= 1 gal., 2ft.= 2 gal., and so on. I am growing in 3 gallon pots and my plants are just above 3 ft. I have had no problems using this system. IMO, The 5 gal pots are to big and are a waste of space unless you are growing for longer than 5 months which usually occurs in outdoor growing only unless you have a lot of height to work with, heh.

Hope this helps. :allgood:

Limiting the pot size doesn't necessarily control height. . . that's the recommend size for the roots. When you take your babe to flower, she'll grow 2 -3 times the size from when she started. Your right though, its not necessary to have 5 gallons for 18-24 inch plants. The most important aspect of pot size is depth. I know the rule of thumb is 1 gal per foot, but I think it should be 1 gal per month of life. If the pot is limiting the height, I think you'll have issues.

Bagz :peace:

I agree bagz, but I'm not saying the pot size limits the size of the plant (IMO, Genetics, air, and light play a bigger factor in determining the rate/height at which a plant grows.) i'm just saying its a simple rule of thumb to go by, thats all. I do believe Mr. Jorge Cervantes said that if growing for 3-5 months a 3 gallon pot would be best and anything longer would require a 5 gallon pot or bigger. So I agree w/ you on the 1 month to 1 gallon rule. Its basically the same though: It takes a month, IMO, to grow a foot tall plant but it also takes a gallon to hold a foot tall plants root system. 1gal to 1month or 1gal to 1foot, seems the same to me. Its all good

I waited 4 weeks b/f using any nutes b/c the Ocean forest soil has a ton of good nutes in their to begin with. It also says not to use any nutes the first 3-4 weeks on the bag itself. If you wanna just make a 1/2 strength solution of the grow big and big bloom (thats what I do) and start it on the 3rd week of veg, gradually working up to full strength that'll work fine, i'm sure. Just go easy on it too see how they react.

True, ill do that. Im glad you are keeping watch beensmoking, since you are using the same stuff that I am using. You will be a great help. So after I transplant and give the plants 2 gallons of fresh soil(1 to 3 gallon pots) should I keep the nutes at 1/2 strength for another month, since the soil has nutes? And 1 more question, you water with nutes every other watering right? How much run-off do u have? And you water with 1 cup of plain water before giving the nutes right? I guess that was more than one question. Thanks for the help man, you rock. Ill get some pics up as soon as some roots come out of the seeds. :allgood:

:tommy:HAPPY BIRTHDAY BERRYDIZZLE!:tommy:

I always wet the soil down w/ a cup or more of water before I feed them their nutes to prevent root burn. Fox Farm tells their customer to do this with their nutes, especially Tiger Bloom.

Well once you transplant you are going to be moving the plants to flower, correct? If so, then I would give them a 1/2 strength dose of the Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom their first feeding then go ahead and move to full strength you feed them. Alos don't forget to flush your plants real good b/f you transplant them into bigger pots.

I feed them nutes every-other watering.

As far as runoff goes, I would say that about 25%-40% of the water/nutes I give my plants runs off into the tray and its always pretty clear water. You can tell the difference in FF soil compared to say Miracle Grow by the color of the run off, FF's runoff is much more clear and natural looking where as MG's runoff is tainted and discolored to a rusty-water color. You'll see the difference if you have used soils w/ chemicals the first time you see the run-off.

Hope that answers your Q's. :allgood:

True. The runoff from the soil I used was that rusty color, granted it was cheap soil. I might veg in the bigger pots for a couple days under a MH(I still have the 1000W switchable system of my friends, so I am going to use that if I cant get a new system). The 1000W MH that I have will give way more branches...come to think of it, I may as well use the MH from the start. How long should I leave the plants under the floro before it is safe to move them under the big light?? Damn, decisions, decisions...

Ok, so I got up this morning and checked on the seeds. 10 of the 11 had popped open, so I decided to go ahead and place them in soil.
Here you can see the roots clearly. I filled the pots with the ocean forest soil and then poured 16 oz. of water in to moisten it. Then I made a little hole, put the seed in(tried to do it with the taproot down) and covered them. Hopefully not too long till they are coming out of the top.
Some more pics:
Good soil
11 pots under the floro
The whole tub set-up, with 5 clones under some tubes too.

Let me know what you think. Ill be back when we get some action.
Peace.

Back
Top Bottom