White Russian wont Sprout, Please Advise.

Grim Reefer T

Hi Everyone. I have been browsing the site for Months so I feel like I am at home but with this being my first post I guess I am still new here. Let me just say this site is by for the most beneficial & helpful of all the MJ sites, Anyways...

I am planning a Hydro grow with Querkle and White Russian. I paper towel germed 4 of each. As soon as I saw a tiny tap root (just over 24 hours) I stuck them in my humidity dome. (Root Down, Quarter Inch) They are currently in Jiffy Peat 7 Pellets. It has been 5 days and I now have 2 Querkle Sprouts about an inch tall and none of the White Russians have come up. I have kept soil wet but not drenched and have 3 25 watt T 5 lights over my dome. When the 2 Querkles came up I removed the dome which lowered the humidity to around 35-40 but since the White Russian is having trouble coming up I put it back on today raising the humidity to around 90%.

I can see the seeds from 3 of three of the 4 WR seeds barely poking through the soil. This is troubling because I am used to seeing the classic U shape before a sprout breaks through.

C'mon 11 views and no help? I am wondering if it could be the PH because I have not tested it. I need to buy one anyway but I am not sure what to look for in a PH tester. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Is my problem that unique that no one knows what up? I am not a total newbie and i am stumped so maybe so. :helpsmilie:

OK... I have heard some conflicting stuff about the Jiffy Peat # 7 Pellets. Some say they are OK. (Not good or great just OK) Some say they are terrible. I broke into them to discover that my seeds have not grown what so ever over the past 5 days. I swished the tap root around in some very weak Thrive Alive solution. The part of the Root just leaving the seed was still very white and healthy looking. The end of all the taproots were brown and shriveled up. I placed them in Rock Wool and soaked the rock wool in thrive alive solution as well.

Is there any chance I can bring these back to life?

Is there any chance YOU personally reading this will bring this thread to life?

I've grown MJ from seed, though I now prefer cuts from my own Moms.
I don't 'pre-germ' in paper towells, I feel this increases risk of fungus attack.
I don't use a dome on seedlings for the same reason. Plus, they don't need it.
Root meristem is the growing end. If your tiny taproot ends are brown, :rip:

Good luck with your live plants. I favor coco coir, start to finish. ;)

Funny Grim...no attention, uh'? Here I am for what its worth. Yeah those seeds are probably shot out and won't come back. You may want to incorporate som kind of heat to your soil. Like a seed mat of heating pad. I have never ever had and fungial problems and I been using the paper towel method for years and years. I would let the seed sprout just a little bit more, rather than as soon as you see the seed crack. The dome is cool, just keeping your soil moist...anything else? Keep us..or me posted :p

I've grown MJ from seed, though I now prefer cuts from my own Moms.
I don't 'pre-germ' in paper towells, I feel this increases risk of fungus attack.
I don't use a dome on seedlings for the same reason. Plus, they don't need it.
Root meristem is the growing end. If your tiny taproot ends are brown, :rip:

Good luck with your live plants. I favor coco coir, start to finish. ;)

WHAT!! Your saying my seeds are dead? Well... :ban: ... Just joking. I genuinely appreciate the response.

Thanks a million Propa Gator. I find the paper towel in a baggie cracks them very fast but I think from now on I will just put both clones & seeds in a rock wool cube. This seems like it would be simple and effective? Any thoughts? I only have 2 White Russian Fem seeds left Damnit so I need to make this work. I have never had this problem before and I am assuming it was caused by the Jiffy pellets but then again you use CoCo Coir which looks pretty similar.

Funny Grim...no attention, uh'? Here I am for what its worth. Yeah those seeds are probably shot out and won't come back. You may want to incorporate som kind of heat to your soil. Like a seed mat of heating pad. I have never ever had and fungial problems and I been using the paper towel method for years and years. I would let the seed sprout just a little bit more, rather than as soon as you see the seed crack. The dome is cool, just keeping your soil moist...anything else? Keep us..or me posted :p

Wait your sayig there dead too? Whhere is the hopelessly weeping emotocon? :reading420magazine:

All Bullshit aside thank you for the input. Due to the T5's the temp in my dome stays in between 80 and 85 when lights are on. I would imagine it does not get below 72 at lights out since that is the room temp. Is this ok? I know 80's are prime temps for seedlings but 72 might be too low?

I have 2 more White Russian Fem seeds. Should I just go ahead and put them in the rockwool and let them Germ and sprout in there under the dome? Is there any chance the current batch may survive? I only have room for 3 WR seeds. I planted 4 planning to get rid of the weakest one or just in case one was messed up or something. If all 6 end up coming up I will fell bad for wasting some but at least I will be of and running.

The biggest problem you'll have with rockwool is the PH - make sure to soak the cubes in 5.5 PH water overnight before adding seeds.

Even though I hydro grow... I used to start seeds in dirt and wash the roots off before adding to system. Just got some rapid rooter plugs, basically dirt bound with polymers , so hope they work better for the start. Actually, with good seeds... grow them in dirt and take clones for the hydro.... just a thought. ;)

The biggest problem you'll have with rockwool is the PH - make sure to soak the cubes in 5.5 PH water overnight before adding seeds.

Even though I hydro grow... I used to start seeds in dirt and wash the roots off before adding to system. Just got some rapid rooter plugs, basically dirt bound with polymers , so hope they work better for the start. Actually, with good seeds... grow them in dirt and take clones for the hydro.... just a thought. ;)

Thanks man. I actually went and got Rapid Rooters. Soaked them in PH 6 water just to be sure. Shook dry but did not squeeze. I dropped the seeds right in the damn rapid rooter plugs. I just want to see if they can germ in there. If I can eliminate a step (paper towels) I am all for it. I have always thought RW was a little too dense and the PH thing is frustrating. We will see what these Rapid Rooters are all about.

I always had issues with rockwool and seeds so I now use rapid rooters too and have no more problems. I do however use rockwool for cuttings works great.

Just checked my Rapid Rooters and the Tap Root is huge! I am VERY surprised and satisfied so far with the size of the Tap but I noticed a few of the tap roots are above the seed in the little hole in the rapid rooter. Should I take action and correct this or will things be fine if I leave them alone? I really don't want to mess with them but I have heard the sprout can try to grow into the RR spores? Please advise!

99 times they cognate which way is up, then one gets stupid.
If you didn't look, you might have never known because they turn their growth direction.
Early tap and all roots send out fine 'hairs' which imbed whatever immediately, so I leave them to it and wait.
If you wait in vain, blame me but I think you're going to be OK. ;)

Back
Top Bottom