White spots on leaves: please help?

DubDutch

I'm having a problem (with SS Early Girl), which is driving me nuts.

earlygirl_whitespots_high2_.jpg

The (white) spots have structure early on but also has a sheen to it, catch it in certain angle of light and it shines! The leaf tends to keep structure but then lower leaves die off and the whole plant just does really poorly. New leaves come out, but get immediately affected by the white spots as well.

I'm a beginner and tried several organic remedies: tobacco juice (didn't do anything), canna cure (seemed to get worse. Just started spraying Neem oil 3 days ago. I spotted two Fungus Gnats and exterminated them. I don't see any larves. Now, I won't water them for 4 days and just spray the leaves (1 day neem, one day garlic water?).

Can anybody tell me if I'm on the right track? If only I knew what I am fighting against, I could use the proper remedy, instead of trial and error everything on the shelve. Thanks ! Check my plant (I adjusted the brightness/contrast to make the white spots come out)

earlygirl_whitespots_high_.jpg

Re: White spots on leaves, please help ?

have you looked underneath with a microscope? neem oil and some ladybug works for me but it don't look like mites to me.. good luck

Re: White spots on leaves, please help ?

It's possible that it is a lighting issue, how close are your lights and what kind are they?

Thanks for your replies...

I didn't try a microscope yet, but I did check with a magnifier. No tiny creatures.

I grow them outdoors on a balcony.

LOL,,,no such thing as white spots,,,look thur a 20x20.5mm Triplet Loupe 20x - LOUPE20205 - JTV.com®

and you will see a different color...

I didn't try a microscope yet, but I did check with a magnifier. No tiny creatures.

Bugs,bugs&more bugs coming...

Being outdoors the bugs are hard to kill,,,I would buy a few pest strips and put them around your plants,,,one would work in a small growing area,,,but outdoors I would think you would need a few and close to the plants...
Amazon: Hot Shot 5580 No Pest Strip Unscented Hanging Vapor Insect Repellent
I see these spots on indoors and out,,,but with this it should give you a start,,,maybe someone else will chime in...

LOL,,,no such thing as white spots,,,look thur a 20x20.5mm Triplet Loupe 20x - LOUPE20205

and you will see a different color...

Bugs,bugs&more bugs coming...

Being outdoors the bugs are hard to kill,,,I would buy a few of these and put them around your plants,,,one would work in a small growing area,,,but outdoors I would think you would need a few and close to the plants...
Amazon: Hot Shot 5580 No Pest Strip Unscented Hanging Vapor Insect Repellent
I see these spots on indoors and out,,,but with this it should give you a start,,,maybe someone else will chime in...

Thanks for your advice. I'm looking for an organic solution and was thinking about eco-friendly yellow sticky paper. Those F*cking bugs...they even seem to like Neem oil.

It's possible that it is a lighting issue, how close are your lights and what kind are they?

Hmmm, could be that the sun is too close then. Try moving your balcony a few KM further away from the equator :laughtwo:

I think your plants was infested by spider mites. I would suggest to immediately isolate the infested plants from the others.

The first thing you need to do is to verify if spider mites are really present on your plants. You can use a clean white paper and shake the leaf slightly. Use a magnifying glass because it’s hard to see by the naked eye.

Once spider mites are present, you can spray the undersides of leaves with clean water, just put a spray nozzle on the hose to put a high-pressure stream of water or you can wipe each leaf with a wet sponge.

You also need to check your soil, there might be some eggs around your soil. Mites lay eggs after they mature in about two weeks after hatching.

If you want to use an organic pesticides, you can try using herbal tea, mix it with ground cinnamon, 2 tbsp of Italian seasoning and crushed fresh garlic. Heat the mixture, strain and save the mixture in a spray bottle and add drops of dish washing soap. Spray the undersides of the leaves with the mixture every three days right after washing them with water.

Hope this would help. Happy growing.:Namaste:

Hi mate,
I am not an expert on these things.. But im sure there is actually a disease called ' white spot' its usually found on roses i believe..
There a natural sprays to stop it, but if its only a young plant id be careful.. I sprayed Pyrethrum on my leaves a little when she was 2 weeks old, and i thought id nute burned her, turns out- NOT GOOD FOR SEEDLINGS!!:)
So im not sure, maybe that?? Does your soil have nutes in it?? And mate, you can buy a cheap mosquito net, very fine soft mesh, that you can easily set over your plant and pot to stop any bugs flying in, once any current probs are cleared..
Maybe try move inside until ur infestation is demolished, and then go about making a bug free zone.. Sticky pest strips do help, but if you have that plant un covered, it open to attack from any possible insect threat..
Check into pest, problem and disease in these forums, you may discover the same thing someone else has had, or, put up another post and im sure you will get some grest info soon enough!!
Later mate, Smokem....

Thanks for all your good advices :) I check them everyday with a magnifying glass, but don't see any mites, flies or larves. Whatever it is. It seems to have stabilized. New branches and leaves are growing and the non affected leaves seem healthy. Perhaps it's too much to ask, to have spotless outdoor plants. This week I'll stick to my recipy of garlic/tobacco juice spraying, top and bottom of leaves, every evening, and maintain the watering to once every 4 days, in order to prevent mould. Next week, I'll try the herbal tea mix which GrowGreenBox suggested. I'll keep you posted about the results.

Hey I have the same problem, that plus thrips, and lots of wierd quick moving bugs. As long as there is no bud rot I'm happy. Growing outdoors can be tough, but its sure gonna be worth it.

I added red pepper to my garlic/tobacco juice and spray the leaves (soak them) every evening. The plants seem to like the juice and the bugs not. They are growing well and the leaves have a healthy green color. I also added some worm mest to the soil. Perhaps it's of importance, but next to my plants I grow strawberries. Good luck with your ladies.
20120814_090513_1_.jpg

Seems the combination of 1 day neem oil and 2 days garlic/tabacco mix is working. No new infestations :cheer:

Hey Dub Dutch; I'm experiencing the same problem - spots, lower leaves slowly dying... Growing outdoors also. I was wondering what the recipe is for your red pepper, tobacco, garlic mix. I'd INSANELY appreciate any help lol. I'm going crazy about this!

Hey Dub Dutch; I'm experiencing the same problem - spots, lower leaves slowly dying... Growing outdoors also. I was wondering what the recipe is for your red pepper, tobacco, garlic mix. I'd INSANELY appreciate any help lol. I'm going crazy about this!
Hey man, I know that this is an old thread but I might just give it a try...
Dit you find the recipy for the garlic/pepper/tabacco spray? I have the same problem and I would love to solve it as well.
How did it turn out for you eventually?
Tia

Back
Top Bottom