White Widow doing unusual things

BeatleB77

420 Member
Hi all, I’m 4 weeks into flower of white widow
0DF85E2D-7AEA-424C-9B30-CE593876F46F.jpeg
and the leaves on the main have started reaching up for the light, I’m growing in coco for the first time and using cyco nutrients. The light is 4x55w t5 in a 80x80x160 tent with fan in, fan out and oscillating fan through the plant. Is this a normal thing for a plant to do, it’s never happened before and worried there some sort of deficiency - light I’m thinking.

Phototropism is the growth of an organism in response to a light stimulus. Phototropism is most often observed in plants, but can also occur in other organisms such as fungi. The cells on the plant that are farthest from the light have a chemical called auxin that reacts when phototropism occurs.

There is both positive and negative phototropism. In this case, I believe it is positive and your plants is showing happiness.

Thanks Rexer, appreciate your time
Phototropism is the growth of an organism in response to a light stimulus. Phototropism is most often observed in plants, but can also occur in other organisms such as fungi. The cells on the plant that are farthest from the light have a chemical called auxin that reacts when phototropism occurs.

There is both positive and negative phototropism. In this case, I believe it is positive and your plants is showing happiness.
Hi Rexer
So... turned out not so healthy, within 24 hours it had turned into a dried shrivelled twig, nute lockout was my first thought so flushed with plain water over 4 days and trimmed back some of the damaged foliage and it seems to be coming back, I’ve searched everywhere for a pic of something similar and could only find a similar pic with zinc deficiency. This pic was today and I’ve never seen anything like it

14D36875-187F-411F-ACCA-A4E9D20DD7B7.jpeg

@BeatleB77

Both my jaw, and heart dropped when I read your post.

To look at your first picture, on my phone (which admittedly is old) i see what looks like "praying". I'm not even going any further, I'll call in some of the pros so I don't screw anything else up.
@Pennywise @Mr. Sauga
I can't even express my remorse on being wrong

@BeatleB77

Both my jaw, and heart dropped when I read your post.

To look at your first picture, on my phone (which admittedly is old) i see what looks like "praying". I'm not even going any further, I'll call in some of the pros so I don't screw anything else up.

I can't even express my remorse on being wrong

@Mr. Sauga, @West Hippie @013 @Pennywise
In no way I hold you responsible! I’m pretty devastated. It’s grown beautifully for 12 weeks and then this all started a day after fresh nutrients so I figure I fudged something up but I learn something new with each grow, hopefully I can salvage something

In no way I hold you responsible! I’m pretty devastated. It’s grown beautifully for 12 weeks and then this all started a day after fresh nutrients so I figure I fudged something up but I learn something new with each grow, hopefully I can salvage something
You're a great person, but if I gave bad advice then it's on me. Wish you were near, I'd compensate with some way ...are you near? I'm in Canada (ont)

Appreciate that, coco perlite mix and using all the cyco nutrients and using their calculator. I thought the light also and have moved it up to about a foot above, it was about 6inches. Medium ph is at 6.8 now, I couldn’t say what it was when it happened but I’ll do 1 more fresh water flush then slowly start feeding nutrients again. The undergrowth looks good, still green and fresh it’s just the top half of the plant. Weird

Appreciate that, coco perlite mix and using all the cyco nutrients and using their calculator. I thought the light also and have moved it up to about a foot above, it was about 6inches. Medium ph is at 6.8 now, I couldn’t say what it was when it happened but I’ll do 1 more fresh water flush then slowly start feeding nutrients again. The undergrowth looks good, still green and fresh it’s just the top half of the plant. Weird
Are you testing the runoff to get 6.8? Where did that number come from? As Shed said you don't need to do a slurry test, but measuring the runoff gives you a good idea in coco what the substrate is like. It looks/sounds like a pH issue to me.

I’ve searched everywhere for a pic of something similar

I’ve never seen anything like it
Here's one that's pretty close- This is my Northern Lights from last year, suffering from a Potassium/Phosphorous overdose- It was doing fine till I decided to "help her out" with full strength
Bud Explosion (0-19-39)
The overdose showed up the day after the application..I did give it a root rinse, which helped a little, but the damage was already done...the good news is that (other than killing off most of the sugar leaves) the buds weren't damaged...but boy,was it ugly!
Did you apply any bud boosters shortly before she toasted on you?
1609959846600.jpeg

Are you testing the runoff to get 6.8? Where did that number come from? As Shed said you don't need to do a slurry test, but measuring the runoff gives you a good idea in coco what the substrate is like. It looks/sounds like a pH issue to me.
I have always held that runoff pH is not a thing regardless of the medium. And as coco is hydro, the pH of the nutes gets adjusted before going in. That's the number that matters to the roots.

Have I got that all wrong?

I haven’t checked coco runoff for maybe 3 years now. It’s a totally useless number. Maintaining proper water content is very important. As moisture levels drop quickly with coco do to the plant drinking and evaporation with fabric. Nutrient levels tend to climb. Once you water again to runoff the coco resets itself. Commercial growers advice not to drop below 30% moisture to prevent EC spikes and lockout.

Back
Top Bottom