White Widow Fem, Inside 2 Cubic Feet, Soil Under LED

So, about my extraction fan. It is absolutely nothing fancy in there. I just reinforced the back wall of the box with a bit of plywood from inside. Drilled a 2-2,5 inch hole, and just screwed the fan dirrectly to the back wall. On the opposite side I did the same with my DIY flange that I made out of some empty supplements plastic jar. Later I attached my filter to it. It just happened to fit, you should have seen me in store trying to combine weirdest crap together :ganjamon:
If you shall take the extra effort (I didn't) and use some silicone, it will give you an extra bonus of slightly reduced noise (or at least lower Hz) and you'll be sure nothing is leaking and reducing your real exhaust. My fan is 3" and it has it's hands full. So if you plan to use a filter, and four QB's, like I saw in your drawings somewhere, I'd suggest you go for something bigger. Way bigger I'd dare to say. On the other hand, my filter is very small thus restricting the airflow badly. The bigger the filter, the better the air flow. That is taking carbon layer thicknes and fraction into account, but generally this is a rule of thumb. So it may actually work out for you if you have (unlike me) some height to put a biger filter above those lights.
Here is the pic of my fan:

Thanks K - yes I may use 2. From memory the ones I have are pretty large so one may be enough. Just need to find it now and check it’s specs for exchange capacity!
I'm in the happy position of not having to use a filter.
I’m in that happy position too. I care not about the smell coming out - I love it and have near zero security concerns.

:Namaste:

Hey Katins - While your baby is growing into her pot, I'll post a snapshot of my white widow that I took this afternoon.

It's a 2'x2' SCROG. The nine lights with foil reflectors--CFLs, LED light bulbs, and one 9-watt (actual watts) LED grow light--are a mixed bag from my first CFL grow plus bulbs borrowed from light fixtures around the house (which are back on 60-watt incandescents for now).

She's growing in coco coir and 30% perlite in a six-gallon plastic storage container that works as an air pot. Nutes are 300 PPM GH FloraSeries with CALiMagic pumped from a recirculating six gallon reservoir for one minute every morning. She's just starting to get sticky... :)

Oh, speaking of odor control--it's just a $9 roll of 1/4"-thick activated charcoal filter material formed into a 3' tall column that a little clip fan blows into from the port in the tent ceiling. It works pretty well so far with just a hint of dank escaping. We'll see how it does as the flowers mature.

It occurs to me that someone might be interested in seeing the filter. Here it is sticking up out of the tent. The clip fan blows up into it. Not pretty, but only $8! (It's a All-Filters CP-6005 Cut to Fit Carbon Pad for Air Purifiers from Amazon formed into a column sealed at one end using a hot melt glue gun. Easy. Fun even. ;))

Thanks K - yes I may use 2. From memory the ones I have are pretty large so one may be enough. Just need to find it now and check it’s specs for exchange capacity!

I’m in that happy position too. I care not about the smell coming out - I love it and have near zero security concerns.

:Namaste:

I won't hide, I am jelous.. :) Wish I would not have to use filter as well :)
Well if there will be no filter, then 1 fan shall be more than enough for sure, me thinks. With o restrictions they are very effective.

Hey Katins - While your baby is growing into her pot, I'll post a snapshot of my white widow that I took this afternoon.

It's a 2'x2' SCROG. The nine lights with foil reflectors--CFLs, LED light bulbs, and one 9-watt (actual watts) LED grow light--are a mixed bag from my first CFL grow plus bulbs borrowed from light fixtures around the house (which are back on 60-watt incandescents for now).

She's growing in coco coir and 30% perlite in a six-gallon plastic storage container that works as an air pot. Nutes are 300 PPM GH FloraSeries with CALiMagic pumped from a recirculating six gallon reservoir for one minute every morning. She's just starting to get sticky... :)

Oh, speaking of odor control--it's just a $9 roll of 1/4"-thick activated charcoal filter material formed into a 3' tall column that a little clip fan blows into from the port in the tent ceiling. It works pretty well so far with just a hint of dank escaping. We'll see how it does as the flowers mature.

It occurs to me that someone might be interested in seeing the filter. Here it is sticking up out of the tent. The clip fan blows up into it. Not pretty, but only $8! (It's a All-Filters CP-6005 Cut to Fit Carbon Pad for Air Purifiers from Amazon formed into a column sealed at one end using a hot melt glue gun. Easy. Fun even. ;))
Nice plant. Wish I had the space for a tent at home :)
The chimney filter looks cool as well :) but if it is struggling now, it'll get worse come week 6-7 of flower. On my first grow my filter started doing the same thing yours does at a similar time in flower. Last weeks were a bit panicky.. had to chop early :) but you should get away with it if it is a legal state. The filter shall reduce the smell enough for neighbours not to notice it through an open window

Morning Katin.... a question please...??? Your box has 2 fans, 1 drawing hot air out and 1 bringing fresh air in which is situated bout halfway.... The 1 drawing heat out is that the one above your QB..? thanks and have an awsome day...

Yep, there are 2 fans. One for exhaust and another one's function is more to swirl the air inside than to push in fresh one. The air travels the path of least resistance, so without it, half of the box's air would remain pretty stationary. But the fan pretty much does both.

"Regarding a race, let's just see how they grow :) "

Harrumph! :( Lost a race already have I. :(

Checked mine today and potted the two seedlings. These two are good. Lots of healthy roots poking out from the jiffy pots. The rest?? Tossed the fails today after looking at the seeds. Root tips gone soft and pulpy, and i suspect fungus.

Anyhow, put in some more seed today after a good vinegar wash of equipment. am going to let them pop and develop more of a tap root before planting out. Lucky i have good supply of tincture to put in my coffee to alleviate sorrows. :)

"Regarding a race, let's just see how they grow :) "

Harrumph! :( Lost a race already have I. :(

Checked mine today and potted the two seedlings. These two are good. Lots of healthy roots poking out from the jiffy pots. The rest?? Tossed the fails today after looking at the seeds. Root tips gone soft and pulpy, and i suspect fungus.

Anyhow, put in some more seed today after a good vinegar wash of equipment. am going to let them pop and develop more of a tap root before planting out. Lucky i have good supply of tincture to put in my coffee to alleviate sorrows. :)

Ah, too bad mate. On the other hand, it is the best time to lose them, when no time is yet invested. Clean up and back to business :)

Subbing.
Katins i went through your 1st and 2nd journals at the speed of light!! I LOVE your work, i think it is awesome. I just started a microgrow similar to yours (see. signature). I will be a week behind you and it will be awesome to have a similar grow to compare, although my seeds are autos.
Also, i would appreciate giving me advice on how to keep the temps down as i seem to be having problems. You mentioned some tweeks you did before the 1st grow that were effective. If you don't mind elaborating...

Subbing.
Katins i went through your 1st and 2nd journals at the speed of light!! I LOVE your work, i think it is awesome. I just started a microgrow similar to yours (see. signature). I will be a week behind you and it will be awesome to have a similar grow to compare, although my seeds are autos.
Also, i would appreciate giving me advice on how to keep the temps down as i seem to be having problems. You mentioned some tweeks you did before the 1st grow that were effective. If you don't mind elaborating...

Cheers K, glad you like the journals.
Regarding the temps, the most effective tweak for my grow with cfl was a plexiglass screen just under the lights. Leaving a gap and arranging it like the air would pass through this gap, then through as many cfl as possible end then out.
Otherwise it is either dim the lights or increase exhaust, not much more you can do :)

Also, I'll share a secret :) put your plant into as big a pot as you can find. The bigger the pot, the more volume it takes. The more volume it takes, the less volume it leaves for air. So the air changes inside the box faster. At least for me, doing this, took away around 1 degree Celsius.
Also, don't worry too much, i had temps climbing all the way up to 33ish Celsius. So if you anage to keep it at 29ish most of the time, you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom