White Widow First Time Ever Hydroponics

They r under control for now, they stay at 70-71 and the closet stays around 73-75, I just keep the air pump outside the closet, but thank you though, my issue is I rent and I feel like adding a reservoir would add a lot of failure points that I would rather not risk it right now lol
I hear you. Sounds like your heat issues aren't so bad. Im jealous!

@Stltoed i checked out you dwc and you have inspired me to stick to growing hydro. I will get a water chiller, I want to run your exact set up lol. Do you mind taking a video of your dwc system. it was hard to follow via pics. If clear enough, I will build the system based on your vid alone . That set up and yield was awesome!

@Stltoed thanks guys. made the deicioson to going rdwc. got a week to set it up before I transplant my already germinated WW Auto into them. Going to look up vidoes how to convert it from the 5 gal buckets I already have...
You will need to figure out how you're going to connect the hoses and pots. You can go with uniseals... ive never used them, or you can use bulkheads. This is a 2 inch bulkhead. You will see that its sitting on a flat surface
If you were to try to mount it on a 5 gallon bucket it wouldn't hold water due to the radius of the pot. The larger the fitting, the larger the radius of the surface needed. The happy ending is that smaller fittings are more able to able to seal on smaller radii. Hayward makes my fittings and they have charts that show the hole diameter, and the diameter a given fitting will seal.

Be sure you buy black hose. Clear or semitransparent sucks believe me.

Uniseals where wildly popular a few years ago. I haven't heard much about then lately, but they are very inexpensive and people seem to like them. If you're interested start a thread asking for someone who really knows there stuff with uniseals, im sure there are tricks to these things. Hope this helps

@Stltoed i checked out you dwc and you have inspired me to stick to growing hydro. I will get a water chiller, I want to run your exact set up lol. Do you mind taking a video of your dwc system. it was hard to follow via pics. If clear enough, I will build the system based on your vid alone . That set up and yield was awesome!
Just remember, I dont have a chiller haha.

So here is a vid. My room is a motherfucking mess (sorry, theres no other way to say it).

The plants are Wembley, a sister to King Tut, they are close to finished. The closet plant is due any day now.

If you have questions...

@Stltoed @RonnieB2 @PK1 @stoneotter @Rifleman

and LASTLY (i think)... Should i end up doing the home made chiller like @Stltoed did, my set up would have to be RDWC then, since there would only be one resevoir being cooled... correct me if i am wrong. right now i am running just dwc but would do rdwc if shown how/ it isnt too expensive ... thanks
I've only grown in soil so far peelaf, so I don't know.

Hey dude, I know you're kinda on the fence regarding water temp. and your getting all sorts of different info and opinions.

There's another facet to this discussion, and that is Oxygen saturation in the water. This is the amount of dissolved Oxygen held in water at a certain temp. Cooler water holds more Oxygen than warmer. At 65 degrees F the opportune saturate concentration is around 10PPM this is perfect world conditions, and rarely achieved. The Oxygen level should always be above 7PPM. But as water temp goes up it loses the ability to hold O2, and the saturation rate falls. At 80F your saturation concentration is at 6PPM. So this shows you dont need to be at 80 to have less than perfect conditions.

All this being said. You can grow in warm water, but the plants look sad. No praying for the light. They look over watered because they are. Theres not enough O2 to allow them to grow very well. If a chiller or other method of cooling isn't gonna work out at least make sure you have a good size air pump.

Hope this helps

Hey dude, I know you're kinda on the fence regarding water temp. and your getting all sorts of different info and opinions.

There's another facet to this discussion, and that is Oxygen saturation in the water. This is the amount of dissolved Oxygen held in water at a certain temp. Cooler water holds more Oxygen than warmer. At 65 degrees F the opportune saturate concentration is around 10PPM this is perfect world conditions, and rarely achieved. The Oxygen level should always be above 7PPM. But as water temp goes up it loses the ability to hold O2, and the saturation rate falls. At 80F your saturation concentration is at 6PPM. So this shows you dont need to be at 80 to have less than perfect conditions.

All this being said. You can grow in warm water, but the plants look sad. No praying for the light. They look over watered because they are. Theres not enough O2 to allow them to grow very well. If a chiller or other method of cooling isn't gonna work out at least make sure you have a good size air pump.

Hope this helps
would it help if you add co2 to the res?

This thread has been moved to FAQs.

We work hard to make 420 Magazine as navigable as possible for members and guests so that information can be easily found. We also want to ensure that your own thread receives the most appropriate responses, views or support.

Good to see u sticking with it pelaf. I got a chiller for my res a year ago and made my life so much easier. @Stltoed amazing work with your guidance
Aww thanks man. Hey, if i can find a sucker, oops, um, I mean, a fine upstanding individual to take my advise, so much the better. haha. Thanks again.

I wonder if any one has tried pure 0xygen into the res.is it possible to have too much oxygen in the res? Just a blazed thought
There IS a saturation point, where H2O can't take up any more Oxygen. My air pump goes much farther than it needs to, but I feel the physical action of the air in the roots makes sure the nutrients are always moving through, i believe this action helps keep the roots cleaner and the extra air makes sure my saturation point has been met. The large air pump thing is just my opinion... i don't know if any of it is true, but... i pulled a plant today and this was a bud compared to a half gallon Mason jar.
I like to grow large plants. I really believe too much air helps.

I run 4 air stones in 100 ltr res and point the hose from the chiller pointing upwards a bit to make the surface water move alot.
I think that's important. Still water isn't good. If you have a current moving it around there won't be any dead corners in the res.

So how do you feel about your chiller? Do you need it?

Back
Top Bottom