White Widow leaves turning brown at tips

denajohn

I'm sure someone previously posted this same question but I looked and didn't find an example just like mine. I've looked at dozens of pictures of "too much of this or too little of that" and they're all starting to look alike.

This White Widow was planted in soil (5 gallon smart pots)and broke the surface about 50 days ago. After about 4 weeks under 18/6 lights (8 each 32 watt fluorescent), I gave it 1 cup of Fox Farms veg. formula at 25%. Yesterday morning, I gave it another cup of the same. Then, this morning, the tips of the leaves on 2 of my plants started turning brown (see picture).

Anybody have any ideas what I'm doing wrong???
burn_on_White_Widow.jpg

I see only ONE leaf affected, so I highly suspect outside damage, rather than over-feeding. Most likely you splashed the leaf while you fed the plant, and light hitting the drops of nutes brunt the leaf tip.

Thanks AKgramma, I only took the one picture. There is actually more of the same on the other side of this plant. Also, another plant is exhibiting the same symptoms. Anyway, hopefully you're right and I'm just a sloppy gardener.

Hard to say if you have more spots i would lean more to something else do you have other pics with the burn marks just want to make sure but sounds like over feeding if a lot of tips are burning it may be time for a PH flush to fix and get back on track

P10505381.JPG
P10505372.JPG
P10505353.JPG
Thanks Serpent, I took 3 more photos of the brown marks on 2 of the plants. It seems to be getting worse with time. Both the water and nutrient mix are between 6.0 and 6.5 pH. Both times that I fed them, They got 1 cup of Fox Farms Veg. I assumed that since they were growing in 5 gallon smart pots, that wasn't too much. I keep an eye on the temperature and have never seen it go above 78F. Not sure what is the problem.

My question woild be why are you feeding them 1 cup of nute/ water mix at a time? In a 5 gallon pot you should be using at least a full gallon of water when you feed. After several days after a feeding like that and it has dried back out then just flood with water. I just dont understand a 1 cup feeding. Especially every other day. Thats asking for major salt build up. It wont matter what you pH it to doing that. Your soil is probably way outta wack. I would flush her with at least 10 gallons of water, probably 15 and let her dry out after that.

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hi fanleaf, thanks for your input. My idea was to give them no more than 1 cup of water or nutes. at a time. They are planted in felt Smart Pots and if I give them any more liquid at once, it just runs through the side of the Smart Pots and all over the table. Is it your opinion that the brown on the leaves is nutrient burn? I guess I could move the 2 worst ones to my bath tub and soak them. Unfortunately, my tap water has a pH of almost 9. I'm thinking my only option would be to fill 10 milk jugs, let them sit for a day with the lids off then balance the pH, flush one then do it again for the other one. Any thoughts?

Looks to me like nutrient burn. :(
I'm also much against ever giving cannabis 1 cup of water. Either water them well, or don't water at all. Light, frequent watering almost always causes problems eventually.

Hi fanleaf, thanks for your input. My idea was to give them no more than 1 cup of water or nutes. at a time. They are planted in felt Smart Pots and if I give them any more liquid at once, it just runs through the side of the Smart Pots and all over the table. Is it your opinion that the brown on the leaves is nutrient burn? I guess I could move the 2 worst ones to my bath tub and soak them. Unfortunately, my tap water has a pH of almost 9. I'm thinking my only option would be to fill 10 milk jugs, let them sit for a day with the lids off then balance the pH, flush one then do it again for the other one. Any thoughts?

My assumption is that you are actually experiencing nutrient lockout and burn at the same time. When you fed them the 1 cup it was probably way way too much in just 1 cup. After that the salt build up from doing so especially more than once now caused lockout. The only way to fix it is give her a good flush. 10 gallons minimum and that's no joke. She will look pissed for a day or 2 but I bet your symptoms stop progressing.

As far as your fabric pots not being able to handle the water goes that's not right. Click on my journal below in my signature and look at the pots I use! Mine have 1/4" holes.....yes holes, from top to bottom all up the sides and bottom. The bottom holes are even bigger. In my 5 gallon air pots they easily soak up 1 gallon exactly without any runoff from the sides or bottom. When I use my 5 gallon ones I always water with 1.2 gallons to get 10% or so runoff out the bottom.
The pots in my grow shown in my sig I'm using right now are 7 gallon and 13 gallon. As soon as my auto's are out of their seedling stage I will be watering the 7 gallon pots with 1.5 gallons every time I water or feed. The 13 gallon is another story all together lol.

If your water is running out the sides with anymore than 1 cup of water there are 1 or 2 causes. Either your watering them way too fast or your soil is 90% clay.

My advice is:
Flush her with 10+ gallons of water, she will sag yes but after that she will perk back up in a day or 2 with the salts gone from the soil. After the flush she probably wont need ANY water/food for a week + or - a day or 2. When the pot is light like there is no water weight AT ALL in it then mix your food in 1 gallon and slowly give her the whole gallon. Doing it that way forces oxygen into the soil and does many good things.

You'll get it man. Hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom