Who’s growing in a peat & perlite mix I could use some tips from the pros

MoSkeeto420

420 Member
I am just about to cut down and harvest tomorrow. I am growing in peat/perlite mix. I have just purchased these new fabric 3gallon grow bags to try out this round instead of my regular plastic pots.

My beginning question is as I don’t want to over water them.
My peat/perlite has dried out in the bag it comes in.

Should I put into a large tote bin and moisten it with a week one feed of food nutrients and then plant my clones into pre-moistened soil so roots can grow into the moist peat/perlite or do I just water around the clones root ball technique?

Any tips would be appreciated thanks.

What is the mix you’re using? Is it a store-bought brand? Does it have lime added?
The pre-made mixes often/sometimes have a small amount of nutrients added for a seedling starter. Yes I would premoisten the mix (with warm not cold water).

My questions are down the same line as weasel’s. Are you just buying straight peat and perlite and mixing the two? Or is it premixed? if you just bought peat and perlite and mixed it yourself, I would strongly encourage the addition of EWC (earthworm castings) or healthy living compost.

you could add a month’s worth of nutrients (because it sounds like you might be using an organic dry amendment) and let it cook for a week or two. Stirring it once a day. If you plant right into that your plants should grow fine for 4-5 weeks before needing a top dress.

Regarding fabric pots; it’s easier to get a good watering cycle in fabric. Just water towards the edges so the roots fill the pot and your plants will start to dry out quick and need water more often. They won’t get rootbound though because the air is actually pruning the roots.

I too would pre-moisten the mix a bit as well.

My questions are down the same line as weasel’s. Are you just buying straight peat and perlite and mixing the two? Or is it premixed? if you just bought peat and perlite and mixed it yourself, I would strongly encourage the addition of EWC (earthworm castings) or healthy living compost.

you could add a month’s worth of nutrients (because it sounds like you might be using an organic dry amendment) and let it cook for a week or two. Stirring it once a day. If you plant right into that your plants should grow fine for 4-5 weeks before needing a top dress.

Regarding fabric pots; it’s easier to get a good watering cycle in fabric. Just water towards the edges so the roots fill the pot and your plants will start to dry out quick and need water more often. They won’t get rootbound though because the air is actually pruning the roots.

I too would pre-moisten the mix a bit as well.

Thanks for the info. I have a premixed bail of peat/perlite mix and it has lime added for the low ph that peat has. So it should be close to neutral ph

Back
Top Bottom