Who Let The Dogs Out? Chem Comparison Grow!

Yup! We have some serious talent here (not including myself - still a beginner). I grow in coco or perlite/hempy, so it will be cool to see your organic soil grow.

Even more interested in your pollen harvest. For a different project, I am going to try to reverse a DDA and self-pollenate for seeds. I am particularly interested in your pollen storage. Will you be mixing with flour and freezing, or do you have a different approach?

Welcome again!
I’m gonna have to look into storing pollen, originally I planned to just keep it in one of those little silicone concentrate containers with a desiccant pack. Why flour?

It’s funny that you mention DDa. I plan to pollinate a DDa with this CnC pollen, then pheno hunt me up a purple chem plant .:cheesygrinsmiley:

I’m gonna have to look into storing pollen, originally I planned to just keep it in one of those little silicone concentrate containers with a desiccant pack. Why flour?

It’s funny that you mention DDa. I plan to pollinate a DDa with this CnC pollen, then pheno hunt me up a purple chem plant .:cheesygrinsmiley:
Pollen is cut with flour to stretch it out. Very little is needed to pollinate a plant.

Pollen is cut with flour to stretch it out. Very little is needed to pollinate a plant.

That was what I had heard too, Mr. Salt. I haven't tried it yet. I have also heard that flour is a bit heavier than pollen, and so when they are mixed, the pollen tends to be a bit more controlled in its application - lets blowing around.

That was what I had heard too, Mr. Salt. I haven't tried it yet. I have also heard that flour is a bit heavier than pollen, and so when they are mixed, the pollen tends to be a bit more controlled in its application - lets blowing around.

Some folks 'toast' the flour in a pan until it's light brown before adding it to the pollen. The only reason I can think of for this practice is to remove any moisture from the flour. I'm thinking of just adding some grains of rice to the flour I'll use a few days in advance. That should serve the same purpose.

Some folks 'toast' the flour in a pan until it's light brown before adding it to the pollen. The only reason I can think of for this practice is to remove any moisture from the flour. I'm thinking of just adding some grains of rice to the flour I'll use a few days in advance. That should serve the same purpose.

I hadn't heard about the toasting step, but makes sense. However, as soon as the flour has cooled down, it will start pulling moisture from the air again, so I like your rice idea to draw out moisture continuously.

Can you think of any reason it couldn't be stored with flour and a few grains of rice? I'm not experienced in pollen storage, by any means, just a thought I had...
:blunt:

Can you think of any reason it couldn't be stored with flour and a few grains of rice? I'm not experienced in pollen storage, by any means, just a thought I had...
:blunt:

That's what I was going to try (minus the toasting step). I was going to put it in a small sealed container (maybe a Ziploc bag inside a small canning jar) and then into the freezer. My understanding is that pollen degrades over time, and the freezing slows that down. And water/moisture totally kills it. But no personal experience with it yet. Need to get the pollen first!

How do the trichomes look? She looks ripe for the pickin’
I actually harvested her today, 5 days before I planned to do so. I found just a tiny spot of bud rot on one of the buds and made the decision to take her down today. I found no more bud rot anywhere which was really nice.

While trimming her up I found 4 little bonuses. I had no pollen floating around that I produced during the time frame her pollination took place. So she must have popped a nanner or two. Many people do not like finding the little treasures, I am not one of those people. As long as I am only finding 10 or less I love them. I'm probably to blame as I left her skirt pretty long this go around to use the larf and trim for sifting and edibles. This plant makes lots of resins.

Hey everyone!

A few of us have been talking on another thread about starting up a new comparison grow, and this first post is just to gauge interest, and have a place to start ideas flowing.

The basic idea is for all of us to grow some kind of ChemDog strain. It can be one of the originals, like Chem '91, or one of the newer varietals or hybrids. For example, I am thinking trying DinaChem auto. Just needs to have some Chem in it.

Any growing medium, any set up - the more variety the better. The goal is just to explore the world of Chem, learn from each other, maybe find a new cultivar for your wish list, and most important to have fun!

Targeting a seed-drop date any time between August 1 through the end of September, at least for the first wave. But folks can feel free to join in later, if that works better for schedules. Just comment on this thread if you might be interested, and start sharing your plans. Would be great to hear what genetics you are thinking of using, your medium, lights, techniques, etc.

Tagging a few folks who have already expressed interest, or might be interested. Please feel free to pass the word along to anyone else you think might want to follow along. The more the merrier!

@Preston9mm @MrSauga @Pennywise @CrazyChef @InTheShed @Derbybud @Metal Halide @TheMadDabber @Dutchman1990 @Old Salt @EastCoastGhost @dr.h00k @TheGreenYeti @Heavenly Hybrid @beez0404 I am sure I have left some folks the list - no offense meant.

Let's make some happy dogs!
I'm in! Just seen this. Got some things to bring to the party! Should be a blast! Gonna go back and play catch up real quick for now. :)

Hi everybody. This group grow is looking to be epic and has finally brought Mj out of the shadows and into the, er, growlight! My first journal-like thing ever. A little scary but I know I'm amongst veterans. I'm not sure which strain I'm going with yet. I have a few packs from Greenpoint, utilizing their Stardawg male. But then there's this 6 pack of fems calling me. Sow us! Platinum Banana Dawg... Either way, this is gonna be awesome. Thanks to The Bard and those unnamed others for creating this.

Back
Top Bottom