Who Let The Dogs Out? Chem Comparison Grow!

The Mega Crop version 1 does not supply the plants with enough P and K in flowering. Several I grew before I started using the FF flowering supplements showed P and K deficiencies during mid to late flowering. My understanding this problem was addressed by MC with their version 2 nutrients. Here is a couple buds I harvested today from a GG#4 plant I have flowering. First time growing this strain so I wanted a couple sample buds (she is flip + 60 days today) at this stage to compare them to the buds at flip + 70 days which is when I anticipate I will harvest the tops of the plant. I think the MC + FF does a good job.

The Mega Crop version 1 does not supply the plants with enough P and K in flowering. Several I grew before I started using the FF flowering supplements showed P and K deficiencies during mid to late flowering. My understanding this problem was addressed by MC with their version 2 nutrients. Here is a couple buds I harvested today from a GG#4 plant I have flowering. First time growing this strain so I wanted a couple sample buds (she is flip + 60 days today) at this stage to compare them to the buds at flip + 70 days which is when I anticipate I will harvest the tops of the plant. I think the MC + FF does a good job.

Nice Beez. What’s your preference on harvest window? Or are you doing this test to see what you prefer on GG#4

Also that buds god some color to it, how do the plants look?

@ChefDGreen As I'm sure you know there are many schools of thought as to when is the best time to harvest a plant. Me personally, I tend to harvest later rather then sooner. I look for mostly cloudy trichromes with a generous smattering of amber for more of a narcotic high. I make edibles and oils for a number of friends many of whom suffer from insomnia and/or restless leg syndrome. So I take notes when I grow out a plant for the first time because honestly my memory isn't quite what it used to be. The buds I harvested off the GG#4 look pretty darn close to what I look for so I will dry them and cure them for 3 weeks and give them a go.

I find with the MC that the plants grow healthy and happy for the most part. One plant, I think it was a Chemdog, gave me a problem with the MC and had some ugly leaves. That plant required a LOT of Cal-Mag which the MC version 1 couldn't supply.

@ChefDGreen As I'm sure you know there are many schools of thought as to when is the best time to harvest a plant. Me personally, I tend to harvest later rather then sooner. I look for mostly cloudy trichromes with a generous smattering of amber for more of a narcotic high. I make edibles and oils for a number of friends many of whom suffer from insomnia and/or restless leg syndrome. So I take notes when I grow out a plant for the first time because honestly my memory isn't quite what it used to be. The buds I harvested off the GG#4 look pretty darn close to what I look for so I will dry them and cure them for 3 weeks and give them a go.

I find with the MC that the plants grow healthy and happy for the most part. One plant, I think it was a Chemdog, gave me a problem with the MC and had some ugly leaves. That plant required a LOT of Cal-Mag which the MC version 1 couldn't supply.
I’m probably going to give MC a try, I do have cal-mag in case it’s necessary. They have a free 300g trail, that should last me a while.

My last, and most successful harvest I cut down when it was quite ambery, maybe 20-30%. too much smoke makes me space out so hard I wake up not knowing what happened. I think I wanna cut some of my next harvest a bit earlier

The Chem story I've read has the Colorado boys gettin lbs from Norcal. Called it Dog weed. Took a pound to a Dead show and met the East Coast guys. Sent more lbs to Mass. Seeds were found. Mass Super Skunk and Chem became lovers creating Original Diesel. In later grows, DNL hermied and pollinated Original Diesel, creating the Sour. I think that version is pretty accepted across the board. Thought anyways. Now Og....that one starts arguments. It's not that serious to me though. :ganjamon:

Was a oz first sold at a Dead show to Chemdog - no seeds, then got a 1/4 # shipped east that had 12 seeds I think. That was the beginning of Chemdawg.

OZ's were going for $400 or something crazy back in the early 90s. I couldn't afford it we wood get 1/4 #s of blueberry skunk shipped in from Cali back then was like $1K or more.

Chemdog isn't/wasn't a pro grower or breeder. A few friends stepped in to get it going.

JJ from TopDawg seeds was a friend. He got things going and he was a pro grower.
Used to supply all NYC with the goodies. Was responsible for NYC Diesel. Basically Chemdawg renamed - people were asking if the weed was laced with chemicals. It smells like it is sometimes. So a name change happened but still kept Chemdawg.

JJ Got busted lost all his genetics and had to hit friends up to get back into it with Chem when he moved out west.

The original was called Dog Bud.

I posted the story/interview link here earlier with JJ - no one, not even Chemdog disputes his story. So I'm good with it.

At Dead shows we were always looking for shrooms or acid. ffs.

Shrooms ok still. :lot-o-toke:

Here's a pic of one of JJ's Chemdawg variants I'm flowering now. Getting REAL close.

91 Star - The stems are covered with trichomes. I've never seen this before.

This is some straight up frosty ass weed. Didn't really like the heat and humidity so she grew nugs. I've never seen that before either.

Stem - NOT a petiole (leaf stem).

Was a oz first sold at a Dead show to Chemdog - no seeds, then got a 1/4 # shipped east that had 12 seeds I think. That was the beginning of Chemdawg.

OZ's were going for $400 or something crazy back in the early 90s. I couldn't afford it we wood get 1/4 #s of blueberry skunk shipped in from Cali back then was like $1K or more.

Chemdog isn't/wasn't a pro grower or breeder. A few friends stepped in to get it going.

JJ from TopDawg seeds was a friend. He got things going and he was a pro grower.
Used to supply all NYC with the goodies. Was responsible for NYC Diesel. Basically Chemdawg renamed - people were asking if the weed was laced with chemicals. It smells like it is sometimes. So a name change happened but still kept Chemdawg.

JJ Got busted lost all his genetics and had to hit friends up to get back into it with Chem when he moved out west.

The original was called Dog Bud.

I posted the story/interview link here earlier with JJ - no one, not even Chemdog disputes his story. So I'm good with it.

At Dead shows we were always looking for shrooms or acid. ffs.

Shrooms ok still. :lot-o-toke:

Here's a pic of one of JJ's Chemdawg variants I'm flowering now. Getting REAL close.

91 Star - The stems are covered with trichomes. I've never seen this before.

This is some straight up frosty ass weed. Didn't really like the heat and humidity so she grew nugs. I've never seen that before either.

Stem - NOT a petiole (leaf stem).

Great addition to the lineage story, and lines up with what Penny shared as well.

Love this plant! Amazing photos of something remarkable!

So frosty @bobrown14 ! That’s insane the amount of trichomes on the stem. Never seen that before

Here’s comes day 37 update. I cut down the up potted male and the three males in fabric. I’ve still got the male in the plastic pot. Also, I’ve up potted the two taller females into 3 gallon fabric. I fed 1200ppm to the two transplanted, and the boy. Oh yeah, I changed to 16/8 a while ago, I dont remember when, but I could never get into the garden with only 12 hours of light per day. I’ve got too much other stuff to do. The two solo cups are Star Pupils.
Here’s the short girl in 5 gallon fabric. I’m gonna keep attaching her highest tops to the side of the pot to keep everything even.
Here’s one of the tall girls, tied down to her pot. She looks a little droopy cause of the transplant but I gave her a decent feeding in her new pot, she’ll bounce back in a day or two.
Here’s the super cropped girl. she started to break so I taped her up.. I’ll watch her closely to make sure she’s not dying. Hopefully she bounces back stronger in a week or so.
Here’s the cookies and chem male. Can anyone guesstimate when he’ll start to throw pollen?

I’m not sure when he’s gonna start dropping pollen. But I’d like to be able to cut the tops off when they open to harvest the pollen in a solo cup.
Well that’s pretty much all I got. I’m gonna veg another 8 weeks probably so, these gals are gonna be pretty large.

@ChefDGreen you would do yourself a great service if you were to remove a good number of the leaves around your largest concentration of pollen sacks for two reasons.

1. It allows you to get a good, easy view of the pollen sacks and spot one when it opens. They don't just all open at once. It happens over a period of time.

2. It will make collection of the pollen a whole lot easier. When I am hand collecting pollen I am holding a smallish black card under the open pollen sacks and lightly tapping on it to get the pollen to drop. Very tough to do if there are leaves in the way. No leaves it's a straight shot onto my cardboard.

When you see them doing this start collecting.

@ChefDGreen how are you likin the 16/8? Have you noticed any changes to growth rates? When I switched over from 18/6 my girls were already chuggin along at like 6 wks of veg and I personally didn't notice any slowing or anything. 16/8 is going to be my permanent veg setting. I may start at 18/6 tho.
Hey what schedule does everyone use for mothers? I've never kept one but I'm thinking 20/4 because I'm thoroughly freaked out about 'out of control' moms taking up valuable space. Anyone? :ganjamon:

@ChefDGreen you would do yourself a great service if you were to remove a good number of the leaves around your largest concentration of pollen sacks for two reasons.

1. It allows you to get a good, easy view of the pollen sacks and spot one when it opens. They don't just all open at once. It happens over a period of time.

2. It will make collection of the pollen a whole lot easier. When I am hand collecting pollen I am holding a smallish black card under the open pollen sacks and lightly tapping on it to get the pollen to drop. Very tough to do if there are leaves in the way. No leaves it's a straight shot onto my cardboard.

When you see them doing this start collecting.

Thanks for the instruction Beez! I’ll remove a lot of his leaves right now. But as far as time frame? First of all, his pollen sacs will continue maturing and will open in 16/8 right? @Mj76 said 3-7 more days until I can expect to see open sacs, does that sound accurate to you @beez0404 ?

@ChefDGreen how are you likin the 16/8? Have you noticed any changes to growth rates? When I switched over from 18/6 my girls were already chuggin along at like 6 wks of veg and I personally didn't notice any slowing or anything. 16/8 is going to be my permanent veg setting. I may start at 18/6 tho.
Hey what schedule does everyone use for mothers? I've never kept one but I'm thinking 20/4 because I'm thoroughly freaked out about 'out of control' moms taking up valuable space. Anyone? :ganjamon:
It’s hard to say really, I think the 16/8 has them using up a lot more of their stored energy in the night time, cause i feel like I’m noticing more explosive day to day growth than a normal 18/6. That said, I think for that reason they’ll give less stretch when I cut back to 12 hours of light.

As far as mothers go, I’ve taken a cutting I’m going to keep as a mother. I have it under a cfl in my kitchen to get it to root. I’m going to probably take a cutting for mothering from the star pupil also. I think you could put your mother on 20/4 or 24/0 to slow growth, but you should also have her under less light, or shaded. I’ve got a 204 w blurple I’m going to use for my 2x3 mom and baby tent. I’ll probably only keep the veg switch on.

Oh ok. Well, take what beez and I said together. It's a process that should begin in a few days. The nanners should grow some stems and open the cluster a bit. Real soon.
I’m gonna go through right now and take off all his leaves that are in the way. How long can pollen stay viable just open in the air?

Back
Top Bottom