Why’s this so hard?

DarionOzb

I thought growing weed would be relatively easy but the more I grow the more I realize how difficult and annoying this can be.
You’d think something that can grow in the Afghan deserts without human contact wouldn’t be so damn picky, but they are.
I dont know if I should just stop growing or what but man these deficiencies and small yields is getting old, and I’ve only been doing this for a year.
Oh sorry.. I was rambling , basically I’m trying to figure out what the heck’s goin on now?
>>refer to pictures<<
If soil is a pH buffer, then why the heck is this plant looking like iron / cal / mag deficiency?
We are 3 1/2 weeks into flower and I’m not impressed with these plants for being 6-7 months old..
I’m using the fox farm trio, and some Ocean Forest soil with perlite and hydrotons for the medium.
Even though “pH is a buffer” i ph my high alkaline water from my sink to 5.9-6.1 and use neutral Ph’d water for waterings.
Bout to just give up because clearly I’m doing something wrong.

Attachments

• F23427DC-3A31-490C-9117-A05C233AFDA6.jpeg
    F23427DC-3A31-490C-9117-A05C233AFDA6.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 51
  • EA1143A1-DEF9-4947-87E6-EE455425DA67.jpeg
    EA1143A1-DEF9-4947-87E6-EE455425DA67.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 9B708F8B-3881-448E-A7DF-C01AC24E99BB.jpeg
    9B708F8B-3881-448E-A7DF-C01AC24E99BB.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 53
It shouldn't be hard but I know some people make it hard. Man, 6-7 months!! --that's a long grow. I only use garden soil and tap water. No additives except, 2-3 times during the grow, a very small amount of ordinary tomato fertilizer but I've also grown without the fertilizer. I don't know what a small yield is to you but I get between 1 1/2 - 3 ounces per grow. My grows aren't pretty but the product is always good. My advice is simplify--just soil and rain water and perhaps search for a strain that is recognized as easy and dependable--White Widow is a good one. Good luck!

You said ( You’d think something that can grow in the Afghan deserts without human contact wouldn’t be so damn picky ) very true when you grow the right genetics. I have two I do nothing but water unless vegging for over five months. One is a train wreck I have has sense the 90's and the other is a Afghan Kush that I got seeds from when I was on a tour around the Pakistan border. Some seed backs will say if the strain is easy to grow or hard. Sensitive genetics can be a pain in the a$$ at times until learning their special needs lol. Good luck to you I wish you the best take care.
:passitleft:

For soil your ph should be between 6 and 7. 6.5-6.3 ideally I believe but you want some fluctuation anyway. How much and how often are you feeding? I'll have to double check but I'm fairly sure your plants are showing nitrogen toxicity. Very dark green and clawing. Flowering plants still require nitrogen but much less than a plant in veg.

For soil your ph should be between 6 and 7. 6.5-6.3 ideally I believe but you want some fluctuation anyway. How much and how often are you feeding? I'll have to double check but I'm fairly sure your plants are showing nitrogen toxicity. Very dark green and clawing. Flowering plants still require nitrogen but much less than a plant in veg.

Oh wow really? That’s the highest pH I’ve heard for soil but I’ll test that next run (since I do have one small plant in veg). But nitrogen toxicity rly? That’s weird cuz I cut back like the schedule said? Maybe I’ll do a flush then because toxicitys are easier to fix than Deficiency problems.
I feed the plants 2 -3 times than I water with just water. And kinda repeat that process. Watering/feeding when soil is dry. *

Oh, also whenever I feed/water I use 1 gallon & they are in 7 gallon pots

You said ( You’d think something that can grow in the Afghan deserts without human contact wouldn’t be so damn picky ) very true when you grow the right genetics. I have two I do nothing but water unless vegging for over five months. One is a train wreck I have has sense the 90's and the other is a Afghan Kush that I got seeds from when I was on a tour around the Pakistan border. Some seed backs will say if the strain is easy to grow or hard. Sensitive genetics can be a pain in the a$$ at times until learning their special needs lol. Good luck to you I wish you the best take care.
Ive just been getting lucky and finding seed in the bud I get from dispensaries.
If you know of a way where I can get some seeds that’d be greatly appreciated because I’m not about to buy something from Amsterdam or somewhere Oversees where I can’t even see what I’m buying.

It shouldn't be hard but I know some people make it hard. Man, 6-7 months!! --that's a long grow. I only use garden soil and tap water. No additives except, 2-3 times during the grow, a very small amount of ordinary tomato fertilizer but I've also grown without the fertilizer. I don't know what a small yield is to you but I get between 1 1/2 - 3 ounces per grow. My grows aren't pretty but the product is always good. My advice is simplify--just soil and rain water and perhaps search for a strain that is recognized as easy and dependable--White Widow is a good one. Good luck!

yeah I did a long grow because
1. I wanted to see how long I could keep my plants alive in Veg
2. My first grow I only got 14 grams
And that’s from 2 plants tht vegged for 3-4 months using same grow medium and mutes. Diff strain though.

Ive just been getting lucky and finding seed in the bud I get from dispensaries.

better genetics always perform to a higher degree. bag seed from dispensary bud is questionable at best. proper dispensary bud should be sensimilla, without seed.

Oh wow really? That’s the highest pH I’ve heard for soil but I’ll test that next run (since I do have one small plant in veg). But nitrogen toxicity rly? That’s weird cuz I cut back like the schedule said? Maybe I’ll do a flush then because toxicitys are easier to fix than Deficiency problems.
I feed the plants 2 -3 times than I water with just water. And kinda repeat that process. Watering/feeding when soil is dry. *
Yeah hydro and soilless are lower at around 5.5-6.5. Nitrogen toxicity can also cause lockout of other nutrients. I'd try bringing your ph up a little, I believe it's best to do it fairly gradually if possible. Also cut back on the veg nutrients and see how they respond. Just a disclaimer I'm no master at this but that is what I'd try. Others may have some more advice. What lights do you have them under?

Yeah hydro and soilless are lower at around 5.5-6.5. Nitrogen toxicity can also cause lockout of other nutrients. I'd try bringing your ph up a little, I believe it's best to do it fairly gradually if possible. Also cut back on the veg nutrients and see how they respond. Just a disclaimer I'm no master at this but that is what I'd try. Others may have some more advice. What lights do you have them under?
They’ve been under One 600 w giixer led until last week when I got a second one.

They’ve been under One 600 w giixer led until last week when I got a second one.
Haven't found much info on that light but I see their 1000W model is only 110W true. So I'd guess the 600W will be in the 60-70W range. That could have been contributing to your low yield. See how you get on with the two now. I grow in a small cabinet so only use a 65W quantum board but had close to 5oz on my last run. Good quality lights are worth the investment. @SmokeSara is the rep here for Mars Hydro and they do some great offers. Maybe worth a thought.

Bringing home seeds you fucking rock!

what are you using for nutes and how much are you feeding ?

not entirely sure about the light. their "1000 watt" is only a 115w draw. light is the #1 thing you can do for your plants. it is also the hardest for new folk to navigate the new tech available. good light costs up front.

what are you using for nutes and how much are you feeding ?

not entirely sure about the light. their "1000 watt" is only a 115w draw. light is the #1 thing you can do for your plants. it is also the hardest for new folk to navigate the new tech available. good light costs up front.
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that :laugh: Doesn't even have to be that expensive really it's just navigating the minefield to get quality at a reasonable price.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that :laugh: Doesn't even have to be that expensive really it's just navigating the minefield to get quality at a reasonable price.

it's probably the hardest thing for newer folk to get correct. there is a lot of marketing of hollow promises out there.

OP - try @Budget LED as well. strong reviews on this board. particularly if you want something more advanced at a cut rate. also look @NextLight too. very advanced, bit more pricey. either will recommend packages depending on your grow space size, etc.

Back
Top Bottom