Why are my buds doing this?

Makeminefullgrown

Hello, I’m growing 3 photos, all diff strains, in FF 70/30 buffered coco.
I initially amended w/ Gaia Green 4-4-4, EWC, kelp meal, and a shot of bat guano (10-3-1).
Growing under a HLG 320 r-spec LED….In a 2x6 closet with 8’ ceiling.
They were vegged in 1 gal pots for about 3 weeks, in the mix above. Then moved to 5 gal pots of the same mix.
The flip was delayed and they ended up vegging for another 4 weeks.
I flipped to 12/12 on 7-14 and top dressed 2 weeks later….which was 2 weeks ago. I topped dressed with Gaia green 2-8-4, kelp meal, EWC and a small percentage of GG 4-4-4.
For the last couple weeks I’ve noticed the pistils have been turning brown.
They are slowly progressing and I’m getting concerned.
They’re doing it on all 3 plants, a Jack Herer, an Amnesia, and a Gelato OG…..
But it’s far worse on the JH.
It’s only a spot here and there on the other 2 but the JH is doing this all over.
I did have to super crop the JH and I’ve brushed against the plants a lot when rotating them and leaf tucking.
I have a good bit of air flowing through the space and they sway around.
I turned my light intensity up as they started stacking and keep the canopy around 15-17”.
The temps/rh have been fairly stable with the exception of a few very hot days where the temps reached 86f. Usually they’re 77-80f.
I’ll add that this is happening all over the plants, not just up top.
What’s going on??? It’s far too early for the pistils to be turning/receding as they just finished 4 weeks since the flip.
I’m keeping a close eye out for nanners….but how could 3 different strains all go hermi? Possible but unlikely.
Please help me out here. And thanks

6BB13791-E753-4F54-A135-F92A2EF1F572.jpeg

9464AEA2-2A6D-4A1F-94C9-3A8153F6FB68.jpeg

62BCC8BA-1994-464E-828E-0873091E9C2C.jpeg

348FB53B-2CE7-4B8F-BABA-C4BA17D9BD00.jpeg

I initially amended w/ Gaia Green 4-4-4, EWC, kelp meal, and a shot of bat guano (10-3-1).
They were vegged in 1 gal pots for about 3 weeks, in the mix above. Then moved to 5 gal pots of the same mix.
I flipped to 12/12 on 7-14 and top dressed 2 weeks later….which was 2 weeks ago. I topped dressed with Gaia green 2-8-4, kelp meal, EWC and a small percentage of GG 4-4-4.
It’s only a spot here and there on the other 2 but the JH is doing this all over.
I did have to super crop the JH and I’ve brushed against the plants a lot when rotating them and leaf tucking.
I turned my light intensity up as they started stacking and keep the canopy around 15-17”.
The temps/rh have been fairly stable with the exception of a few very hot days where the temps reached 86f. Usually they’re 77-80f.
What’s going on??? It’s far too early for the pistils to be turning/receding as they just finished 4 weeks since the flip.
I’m keeping a close eye out for nanners….but how could 3 different strains all go hermi? Possible but unlikely.

Plants are looking good.
The pistils brown as the plant matures- assuming she hasn't been pollinated.

She will keep producing new pistils, then eventually stop.
When there is no more white pistils, it's a sign (not the only), that your plant is near the harvest window.
You still have a long way till harvest.

A select few strains may keep pushing out the odd new pistil, nothing to worry about.
Also if you handle the pistils, it may prematurely cause them to turn brown, again nothing to worry about, just try to avoid touching them unless you need to.

Thanks guys….this Jack Herer is throwing me for a loop….I’ve had a few brown early pistils before and thought nothing of it. But it’s browning fast and has way more trichs than the other two strains.
It’s acting like buds act when the have 2 weeks to go, not 6 or more.
The other two were a week or so later to show their flowers but are fattening up and stacking heavier.
I guess it’s a strain/pheno thing and I’ll see how it finishes.

Plants are looking good.
The pistils brown as the plant matures- assuming she hasn't been pollinated.

She will keep producing new pistils, then eventually stop.
When there is no more white pistils, it's a sign (not the only), that your plant is near the harvest window.
You still have a long way till harvest.

A select few strains may keep pushing out the odd new pistil, nothing to worry about.
Also if you handle the pistils, it may prematurely cause them to turn brown, again nothing to worry about, just try to avoid touching them unless you need to.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I just made a horrific discovery that likely has something to do with the brown hairs…..
My grow space is a closet in a small guest cottage detached from my house. The closet has a single light bulb in the center with a typical switch just beside the door.
I never turn the bulb on at any time during a grow.
I have the space around the door fairly well sealed off but there is a big enough crack for me to tell if my grow light is on. I have 3 passive intake holes on the other side that cuts through two layers of drywall and insulation with three 8” long and 3” diameter pieces of pvc pipe. There is no threat of a light leak the way it’s situated.
No threat that is unless I accidentally hit the closet light switch and leave it on. That’s exactly what has happened.
I don’t often go into the area after the lights go out around 7:30pm. But tonight I went out to empty the dehumidifier and after I turned the the main room’s lights off I happened to glance back at the closet door and damned if I didn’t see light. Sure enough somehow the switch was flipped up and the closet light was on….2 hours into my dark period.
The worst part is I don’t know how long it had been on….
So now what?? I looked all over all 3 plants earlier today and did not see any nanners or male flowers.
I guess I should look hard and pluck any, then wait and see…..?
I have a tough time distinguishing between the female pre flower calyx and male balls……I’ve always heard that if it has a hair (pistil) coming out it’s a calyx…..u tell me.
Is there a chance that since the issue was corrected, the plants will not hermi or produce any male parts??
I have a lot of time and effort in this grow and have been one dedicated pot grower….I’d hate to see things go south b/c of a simple oversight….
You can bet your a$$ that light bulb is gonna be unscrewed and removed.
Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I just made a horrific discovery that likely has something to do with the brown hairs…..
My grow space is a closet in a small guest cottage detached from my house. The closet has a single light bulb in the center with a typical switch just beside the door.
I have the space around the door fairly well sealed off but there is a big enough crack for me to tell if my grow light is on. I have 3 passive intake holes on the other side that cuts through two layers of drywall and insulation with three 8” long and 3” diameter pieces of pvc pipe. There is no threat of a light leak the way it’s situated.
No threat that is unless I accidentally hit the closet light switch and leave it on. That’s exactly what has happened.
I don’t often go into the area after the lights go out around 7:30pm. But tonight I went out to empty the dehumidifier and after I turned the the main room’s lights off I happened to glance back at the closet door and damned if I didn’t see light. Sure enough somehow the switch was flipped up and the closet light was on….2 hours into my dark period.
So now what?? I looked all over all 3 plants earlier today and did not see any nanners or male flowers.
I have a tough time distinguishing between the female pre flower calyx and male balls……I’ve always heard that if it has a hair (pistil) coming out it’s a calyx…..u tell me.
Is there a chance that since the issue was corrected, the plants will not hermi or produce any male parts??
I have a lot of time and effort in this grow and have been one dedicated pot grower….I’d hate to see things go south b/c of a simple oversight….
Thanks for the advice.
Listen my Friend, all you're description of you grow Is On Point! You're plants look Great. It is very normal for pistals to brown out and recede into the bracts, what is the beginning of the Bud Building! Even as early as week 4-5..

More New White pistals will pop up and the Bracts will start accumulating. Which is what makes chunky buds look like well, chunky buds.. It will be a process over the Flowering period of bud's building.

PLEASE Don't Overthink It! Just Apply the K.I.S.S method. And that might ease your growing anxiety! :peace::rollit:

Thanks for the advice.
Put a Green LED Bulb in the socket. I use a green bulb to go in my tents during lights out. It wont effect them any.

Put a Green LED Bulb in the socket. I use a green bulb to go in my tents during lights out. It wont effect them any.
Thanks for the tip. In thinking back, I’m almost positive I accidentally hit that light switch yesterday morning while I was vacuuming and cleaning the area. That would mean the closet light was only on for 2-3 hrs….and not the culprit behind the brown pistils.
I hope I’m right….
But thanks for the tip. I’ll buy a green bulb for sure.

Listen my Friend, all you're description of you grow Is On Point! You're plants look Great. It is very normal for pistals to brown out and recede into the bracts, what is the beginning of the Bud Building! Even as early as week 4-5..

More New White pistals will pop up and the Bracts will start accumulating. Which is what makes chunky buds look like well, chunky buds.. It will be a process over the Flowering period of bud's building.

PLEASE Don't Overthink It! Just Apply the K.I.S.S method. And that might ease your growing anxiety! :peace::rollit:
Thanks man….it’s great advice. I’ve grown plenty of plants outside many yrs ago but they were always the same strain. Since I started back with the hobby indoors, it’s been a humbling experience.
I’ve just never seen a strain go through such an extreme cycle of early browning/new white pistils. I guess plants are like kids….all different.
Thanks again

I believed that's normal all my autos done the same thing but in the end was all fire nuggs she may fox tail on u I don't see any them being a Hermie✌🤙

Back
Top Bottom