Why aren't strains categorized by terpenes?

felis

420 Member
Indica vs sativa.
Ya, well, tall vs squat, 8 weeks vs 11 weeks........this is relevant info to growers, but haven't we moved beyond this simple "classification" as consumers?

How many of you choose strains based upon terpenes?
Can you reliably *predict* the effects of a strain based upon the terpene profile and ratios?

I'm going to venture a guess.........but isn't the terpene profile a more accurate indicator of the effects other than just " high in thc"?

As an example........I've been looking at different terpenes and profiles.......and they almost all have "pain" or "anti inflammatory" properties attached to them.
Hummmm. But which terpene is more effective for pain......hummmm....???

Is there a scientific-based chart / graph / study, etc that puts this into perspective? Something accurate and comprehensive?
A guy could spend weeks reading terpene literature, trying to decipher what is accurate and what is internet dribble.

They are testing for and tracking terpenes now. For years THC was the only factor considered. Now they have the ability to do it. It needs to become more main stream for growers to have everything tested. From there we can find out not only what does what. But what strains have what.

As of now. It is another expense for dispensaries and growers. A expense that can't be recovered. Over time with more people doing it. Others will have to do it also to show what their strain have. There was a time where only THC was tested. then they started testing for CBD. Terpene levels came after that. What is kind of funny. I think, they did genetic tracing before they decided to test for terpene levels.

Is there a scientific-based chart / graph / study, etc that puts this into perspective? Something accurate and comprehensive?

there are loads of terpene wheel graphs out there. it's based on the wine charts and work exactly the same.
see them on the walls of med based dispensaries as well.

google terpene chart. a few thousand examples pop up.

I know.......that's the problem.......a few thousand terpene wheel graphs to wade through......
Further, they are for the most part, pretty basic graphs that all state the same basic terpene profile info.

I guess I'm wanting something more than just a basic graph to study......maybe something more in depth with more info on the terpenes in that strain, in those percentages, and how these differences change the overall effect profile of the strain.

May this info or terpene classification just doesn't exist [ yet ].

Just have to get tests to determine what you got. There's way too many variables to compose a list of what strains have what. Even using the same mother plant you will get variances grow to grow. Here's how lab tests are done where I'm at. Not all the terps but show some.

I know.......that's the problem.......a few thousand terpene wheel graphs to wade through......
Further, they are for the most part, pretty basic graphs that all state the same basic terpene profile info.

I guess I'm wanting something more than just a basic graph to study......maybe something more in depth with more info on the terpenes in that strain, in those percentages, and how these differences change the overall effect profile of the strain.

May this info or terpene classification just doesn't exist [ yet ].

sounds like you want it handed to you. the terpene (and wine) charts exist because what you are seeking is an impossibility. the terpene profile can change from plant to plant, even within the same strain. blame the million breeders creating multiple hybrid varieties.

most strain profiles will list the dominant terpenes, but many others are at play. they would be impossible to list without testing each plant individually. you just shoot for what you hope will show up in the plant. exact same way wine producers work.

it is up to you to choose a plant with the dominant terpene profile you want. the charts are there to decode the terpene characteristics, not determine the plant profile. from that point you are pheno hunting - like everyone else.

This is kinda like me going to alcohol industry and asking why they don’t collate their all their data based on the smell of my farts after drinking a few glasses. I’m not saying that to be rude or disrespectful, but as growers we are interested in this more than average weed consumers... we are weed consumers and connoisseurs of the highest order such that we grow our own meds and make our own new crosses. But our time is limited and the sheer number of strains plus the different phenotype expressions contained within those strains make this a statistical impossibility.

The strainfinder site includes data on about 19,000 different known chemovars of weed. Can you imagine if there were that many different types of grapes for wine? Or strains of hops for beer flavors?

And yes each of these roughly 19K cannabis strains have multiple phenotypes.....the costs of testing and the sheer complexity of such an undertaking is why that data does not exist and why weed is not categorized by terps

While the strains of today might have higher THC. That is not the main reason that the weed is better now. There has been 20+ THC strains around since the 90's. I think it is terpene levels. As flavors get better the terpene profiles are increasing. The higher levels of these terpenes are accenting the highs. The main reason we didn't notice the aroma effects of the terpenes before was because they were not in high enough concentrations. They more flavor that comes out the higher the terpene levels are. I have found that the most flavorful strains carry better effects.

Indica vs sativa.
Ya, well, tall vs squat, 8 weeks vs 11 weeks........this is relevant info to growers, but haven't we moved beyond this simple "classification" as consumers?

How many of you choose strains based upon terpenes?
Can you reliably *predict* the effects of a strain based upon the terpene profile and ratios?

I'm going to venture a guess.........but isn't the terpene profile a more accurate indicator of the effects other than just " high in thc"?

As an example........I've been looking at different terpenes and profiles.......and they almost all have "pain" or "anti inflammatory" properties attached to them.
Hummmm. But which terpene is more effective for pain......hummmm....???

A guy could spend weeks reading terpene literature, trying to decipher what is accurate and what is internet dribble.
so.worth.listening to.>>>> Kevin Jodfre

Yogi,
Thanks for posting the video. It's good info that is relevant to this thread.
Kevin is a pretty intense speaker. He could give Shamwow-Vince a run for his money, lol.

Even though the lecture is geared towards a commercial growing audience and how to dial in your strain to your particular dispensary customers, terpenes were part of the discussion.

What I have taken from this is;

1] Kevin has classified cannabis by odors and flavors vs the "terpene profile". Fuel, floral, earth and fruit....if I recall correctly. Classifying cannabis strictly by terpene profile is not as cut and dry as it may appear. It is much more complicated than that.

2] The lab-tested terpene profile [ if done ] is accurate for that particular plant, grown under specific particular parameters by the breeder only. No other plant that shares those strain genetics will have that exact same terpene profile. It is unique to that one plant only. Essentially.......the lab tested printed terpene profile to be used as a "description" for the entire strain, is useless info.

3] Terpene's and terpene profiles are difficult to predict, because they are heavily influenced by specific growing parameters. Specific terpenes are enhanced and subdued by these different growing conditions. Every single different growing condition contributes to, or detracts from, the end result terpenes and flavonoids. Strain genetics are only a part of the terpene profile end-result.

Ok.........if specific flavors and odors, as determined by our subjective palate's, are achieved / enhanced by specific growing conditions, the next question is.......how do we tailor our growing conditions to achieve the terpenes that we desire?

Is there any science-based info on how to grow for specific terpenes and flavonoids?

Terpenes and THC will always be a plant to plant thing. Yes the right genetics give you better chances. A plant is still a individual and will be what it wants to be. The levels of each change from plant to plant in any strain.

I read a lot of articles about terpenes because I truly believe the terpenes dictate which strains work best on an individual level.

And, yes, there are a lot of different parameters that go into a plant's terpene profile.

However, that said, a recent article I read (I think on SC Labs) said that samples of bud taken for terpene analysis often include samples of the same strain from different plants and then they average out which terpenes are dominant for that strain.

I believe that there is enough information out there to start getting a handle on which strains work best on an individual basis, e.g. Leafly has a lot of terpene profiles listed.

Personally, I look for strains high in caryophyllene, terpinolene and humulene as I find they work best for me.

It is my hope that seed sellers will someday list the dominant terpenes for each strain they sell.

The Ontario Cannabis Store already does this as do a few others.

Back
Top Bottom