Why buy seeds before Oct. 17?

onewarmguy

Hi all, I'm seeing some postings that puzzle me about buying seeds before Oct. 17, could someone tell me why this is a concern?

the legality of seeds in canada changes on oct 17. currently they are being sold as a novelty product and fall outside bill 45. After oct 17 they are inside the bill and a much much more controlled product.

what this means is many current seed merchants will be fully illegal after oct 17. in the interim they are operating in a legal grey market which will likely be made completely against the law after oct 17. only licensed producers will have the right to sell seed direct to public after oct17.

as a result many canadian growers are building up personal seedbanks in the anticipation of the genetics no longer being available.

in reality however things will probably be much different, as the online sales of seeds from outside jusridictions and existing canadian seedbanks are not planning on going anywhere soon. most have pre- established businesses and will be either skirting the law entirely or forced into launching legal challenges to the laws which utimately will need to figger out how to deal with existing established seed producers.

Thanks bluter Sounds like I might order regular seeds of my favourite strains and dedicate one crop to seeding. That's if I can find them, I noticed a lot of seed banks are out of stock on most of my favourites. I have a suspicion that a lot of other canucks are doing the same thing.

Speaking of seeds and new crops. I seen a company out of BC that would send clones in the mail to you. Though i cant seem to recall name of them. I have had terrible luck with seeds in the past.

some LPs have expressed an interest in clones. i've read elsewhere that the proposed "craft producer" license holders would also be a possible source of clones. locally at least one home garden supply greenhouse has expressed an interest in selling clones. the organizers of a large farmer's market are proposing having both clones and edibles.

So, what happens if you accidentally have a hermie or a male in your grow and you get pollinated?
Are your own seeds you produce illegal too??

What if you "give" the seeds away rather than sell them? Is it still illegal?

I heard the Nova Scotia NSLC will be selling clones as well?

Do these seed laws apply only to recreational, or, to medical PPL's as well?
DOH.....lol.

So, what happens if you accidentally have a hermie or a male in your grow and you get pollinated?
Are your own seeds you produce illegal too??

What if you "give" the seeds away rather than sell them? Is it still illegal?

I heard the Nova Scotia NSLC will be selling clones as well?

Do these seed laws apply only to recreational, or, to medical PPL's as well?
DOH.....lol.

medical growers can make their stock legal by simply declaring it.

in reality i doubt things are changing much from the way they are currently. technically bill 45 states only licensed producers are able to sell seed legally. there is a range of penalties for those that step outside the legal frame from a ticketable offense to major fines and jail time.

really can't see them launching the seal teams on few smallish med growers. will say i'm not working on being the test case tho.

Yeah they want to ban sales of seeds except from government approved sources. I somewhat doubt that things will change much. Even if they started pumping extra money into border control to try and weed out the seeds that don’t come from the suppliers on the special list. Unlikely they’d make much dent in anything and gain much satisfaction for the money spent, and I can see a lot of ways around this bit of stupidity. Court challenges usually tend to balance things out somewhat. Certain people would like to wave a magic wand to make only some cannabis seeds illegal (the ones that aren’t sold by the particular corporations that profit them directly). Seems to me that wand would have been waved many years ago to make all cannabis seeds illegal in the country, if it was so easy. Instead they’ve been legal as souvenirs all along and still are.
Besides which - I just wouldn’t give a shit about laws as stupid as this and I’m not the only one.

Seems to me that this is a sure fire way to force part of the industry into the black market.

Apparently, the Nova Scotia NSLC is going to offer something like 79 strains of cannabis, one would think that they should be selling the same amount of seed strains as well if we are allowed to grow our 4 recreational plants here, as they want full control of the market.

So is it also illegal to sell clones then, or share them for free with your friends?

I don’t waste time reading up on the finer points of laws like this which I completely disagree with- I just ignore them. If you don’t get help on this thread there’s one that may help you - called something like....
hmmm. I can’t remember. Something about ‘legalization in Canada- feel the drama’. I’ll look for it and paste it in here. It’s full of people who like to pore over the details of this stuff.

the thought process behind limiting seed sale and production, is the ability to control the genetics to the point where the THC content would drop to 1960's / 1970's levels. they want plants that can produce no more than 12 - 15 % at the high (giggle) end.

the truth is the genetics are already out there and info sources such as this place will continue to help spread them. folks here already both create and trade new genetics all the time. the info to make your own off current stock is widely available. seedbanks operate international well beyond the reach of any one gov't to shut down or control.

weaselcracker has it correct. you can fret over it, or simply get on with it.

Here’s that thread I mentioned. I’m sure you can get your questions answered there. Not really my cup of tea as I’m pretty cynical about the whole idea to say the least, but I understand that some people might be in situations or headspaces where they feel bound by the ‘rules’.

Bill C-45 - Canada's Legalization - The Drama Revs Up

Actually, It's not 1/2 as much fun growing, now that weed is legal in Ma. !! People are growing it, that don't use it, but It pays their property taxes. in 2 years, It's dropped from about $350-390 a z, to about $190 a z, and still dropping. the only advantage of growing your own now is the fact you know what you're consuming. By this time next year, I expect it to be about $125 per z. But the dispensary's in Ma., will not be selling seeds or clones. But they're not illegal to sell ? The dispensary's don't want me growing my own, they make a living selling weed. Ha !! Just like the liquor store don't want me making my own alcoholic beverages. But the genie is out of the bottle !! PROHIBITION IS OVER IN MA. Now our Federal Gov. needs to follow suit and end prohibition, now and forever !! Glad I lived long enough to witness it !!

Good morning all, as Canada Ramps up we will be aloud to grow 4 plants at a time, this said maybe an increase in seed price? I don’t think seed companies have much to worry about except the tax that will be implied. Now there are medical dispensaries that won’t sell seeds unless you are licensed will they open to the public or remain private with people with medical cards time will tell

why not just buy the seed from the real guys real seed banks like you did before. Because some of these guys in canada will sell seeds that are not as good as reputable seed bank that are specialized in seed cultivation. I got some critical prple in the us from growers choice man the plants were red purple I got the same strain in canada 15 more pop them all the same time. out come seeds in canada are garbage biker seeds wasnt even stable or critical purple . I have my licence medicinal and i'm going to stay with seed banks that are well known reputible seeds banks. This way i know if I order seeds (ex) green crack its going to be green crak. I will not give money to companies that ceo are ex cop or ex government employees.
the same people that called us pusher and drug dealers. Anyways my thoughts :confused: and if you think people are just going to go with strains that are only 15% think again.:)

Exactly this Canada government is a joke its all about money and they will try to repress people with the genetically grown plants and seeds. look even the pharmaceutical companies are getting involved. The people I have been talking too were i'm located in Quebec je me souvient pas crosseurs. see here the government will control the sell of the plant. they are even seting up a new police force just for cannabis here can you believe that. I woud like to see this government apologize to people that were called pusher drug dealers and crap and put in jail for possession. But no lets turn the blind eye and learn and profit from these drug dealers. every one that grows should learn how to breed there starin get your seeds from your own plants and ignore the bullshit. thats what i'm doing now learning how to breed my strains at this time I have 2 strain that have been pollinate for the seeds

Back
Top Bottom