Why Curing Increases Potency - Tutorial

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Cannabinoid Conversion in the curing process.

Naturally, as the metabolic processes continue during curing, the conversion of cannabergerol to tetrahydrocannabinol will continue and the potency of the pot will increase. This is because cannabergerol (CBG) is the non-psychoactive precursor for tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Of course, the exact change in THC content will necessarily be dependant upon the concentration of CBG in the fresh material at harvest. Of course any remaining precursors necessary to form additional cannabidiol (CBD) and other cannabinoids will also be consumed and converted.

Be aware though if curing is excessively prolonged (most connoisseurs would agree after 6 months no more benefit could be had from curing), the conversion of THC to non-psychoactive cannabinol (CBN) will occur. The exact rate of decomposition can vary widely depending on handling and storage conditions, but can be less than 10% to greater than 40% decomposition per year.

Storage tips:

Potency during curing and storage can be maintained by observing some basic precautions:

# The buds need to be kept in the dark, protected from light, which will quickly decompose the THC.

# Moderated temperatures should be observed during curing, 50-75F being ideal.

# Excessively hot temperatures will promote oxidation and the growth of mold and bacteria, and very cold temperatures can prolong curing and drying for up to several months.

During storage, buds should be stored as cold as possible, if temperatures of 0C or less are to be used, make sure the bud is dried to a very low moisture content before storage (to insure that cell walls are not burst by the freezing water).
Also, if prolonged storage is planned evacuating the oxygen and replacing it with carbon dioxide, nitrogen, argon, nitrous oxide, or any other inert gas will help slow oxidation, as well as the addition of antioxidants such as ascorbic acid packets or vitamin C tablets.

The most stable way to store cannabis is as whole unbroken buds or unpressed trichomes. Excessive rough handling or pressing can easily damage the protective cell walls and plant waxes that help protect cannabinoids from oxidation.

Continued Metabolism

Also as these metabolic process take place, the plant needs energy which leads it to consume the sugars, starches, nitrates, and minerals. Many of these compounds are metabolized and released as water and carbon dioxide, therefore removing what is essentially inert material from the pot increasing the concentration of cannabinoids therefore making it more potent.

Much of these positive metabolic processes can be most effectively begun with thourough flushing and stripping of the plant before harvest. This will help reduce the amount of time necessary for a good cure.

Curing will not only improve potency, but the color and look of most cannabis buds because as the chlorophyll is broken down purple, gold, and white coloration can emerge and the trichomes will appear more pronounced.

Decarboxylation

Some decarboxylization will take place during curing as well. This happens when the carboxyl group (COOH) located at C-2, C-4, or the end of the hydrocarbon chain at C-3 is destroyed leaving a hydrogen attached and liberating CO2.

Decarboxylization is necessary to convert cannabinoids to usable psychoactive forms; the plants (and your body) carboxylize cannabinoids to make them more soluble in water (for metabolic reactions and excretion).

Research indicates that this effect is fairly minimal during the curing process though. Decarboxylization will take place naturally very rapidly at temperatures of over 100C. So smoking and most any cooking will decarboxylize the cannabinoids. As decarboxylization occurs, the loss of CO2 will liberate a small amount of inert material making the pot more potent via concentration of the cannabinoids.

Taste & Odor

Terpenoids are the highly volatile compounds that give marijuana much of its' characteristic odors, and therefore tastes.

The most current research also suggests terpenoids lend to the high, sometimes very significantly. Cannabinoids are phenolated terepenes so it's not surprising that many hundreds of different terpenoids are synthesized as well.

As pot ages, some of the terpenoids go through polycyclic aromatization in the process of decomposition. This agglomeration of terpenoids will change the flavor; hence the ability of cured pot to show flavors that didn't seem present in the original fresh material. Much of the very volatile terpenoids will also evaporate and or decompose, especially with prolonged curing or storage. This action will remove some matter from the pot increasing the cannabinoid concentration and therefore potency.

It must be noted that excessively long curing or storage, higher temperatures, or extremely low moisture content will cause such through evaporation of the terpenoids that the cannabis will generally loose almost all of it's natural flavors

I knew that curing effected potency, and especially if cured wrong. But what kind of percentage increase will you get strictly from the cure? Are you merely preserving the highest percentage of resin that was already there? Instead of curing poorly, and deteriorating quality?

A couple of grower friends have a very elaborate curing process. It makes their bud taste AMAZING. Potency definitely increases/decreases depending on curing methods and time. Great thread.

Every time I open a new bottle of my LR2, the smell, color and potency is better than the jar before. Cannabis handled with care and proper curing makes the bricked commercial "weed" smoke just like a weed, not the fine smoke that cannabis is meant to be.

Every time I open a new bottle of my LR2, the smell, color and potency is better than the jar before. Cannabis handled with care and proper curing makes the bricked commercial "weed" smoke just like a weed, not the fine smoke that cannabis is meant to be.

But tht bricked commercial weed is called commercial weed because it was bricked and not taken care of. If the grower had taken care of that weed like you do yours it would sell for $400.00 a ounce and not $100.00 ounce instead.lol I personlly love bricked mexican weed. For $100.00 a ounce I can get several grams of quality bubble hash that is worth way more than what I paid for the weed.lol

The problem with the brick weed around here is that you are paying for an oz. and at least 1/4 oz. is seeds and stems.

But tht bricked commercial weed is called commercial weed because it was bricked and not taken care of. If the grower had taken care of that weed like you do yours it would sell for $400.00 a ounce and not $100.00 ounce instead.lol I personlly love bricked mexican weed. For $100.00 a ounce I can get several grams of quality bubble hash that is worth way more than what I paid for the weed.lol

Is the Water-Hash you make from Mexican brick weed really dry and hard when it is dry? Or do you get fresh enough Mexican so that you can still get a oily texture in your water-hash? Do you get any meltiness from it?

Aqua Lab Tech

Now I will admit it's hard to get full melt from the brick weed. Full melt around here sells for $20.00 to $30.00 a gram depending on who you know. I get soft hash from the mex but it's not what's called full melt. It doesn't bubble a lot like the good stuff does but it still has a nice flavor, high and goes a long way. The stuff I get from the mex would sell for $15.00 to $20.00 a gram on the street so I guess I save about $35.00 to $40.00 on the deal. But more importantly I get a weeks worth of meds for $100.00. But $100.00 a OZ is top price. I was getting brick for $50.00 or $60.00 a OZ most the time and I really ended up making out that way. It's been about a year since I got mex and was able to do all the above though. The contact I had for the brick got busted trying to sneak in several lb's of the stuff.lol

16825Bubble_33005_got_bubble_all.jpg

23898bhogf822pop45odf9.jpg

11022P9232733.JPG

7651DSC02542.JPG

7651DSC02557.JPG

The Medicinal club in Santa Cruiz sells mexican brick weed and they call it "Old school" *just like our buddy racefan, much love racefan!!

dude, i didnt wanna sound super fat when i saw it but yeah it looks like crispy breakfast of champs to me!

dude, i didnt wanna sound super fat when i saw it but yeah it looks like crispy breakfast of champs to me!

haha.. I thought I was trippin!
I was like "hey he snuck a pic of some bacon in there" lol

The Medicinal club in Santa Cruiz sells mexican brick weed and they call it "Old school" *just like our buddy racefan, much love racefan!!
Much love back at you there friend. :cheesygrinsmiley: Nothing wrong with old school. Wish I could get my hands on a few bricks of that right now. I'd be bubbling right along real nicely if I did.

Back
Top Bottom