Why do my buds stink so bad?

kantwate

I hope someome will help me.

A friend gave me a handful of buds. All I know about the plant is that they were sativas and grown outoors.

I hung them up in a dark closet with the door cracked open, in my air conditioned house for seven days. I then put them in a brown paper bag for four days and everything was fine, I thought.

I then put them in a clean glass jar and sealed the lid on it. After about five hours I went and got the jar and looked at it and there was no moisture forming on the inside of the jar and I opened the jar to let them breathe.

UNBELIEVABLE the stink. It smells like real strong, days old brewed tea that someone left the bags in it is the only way I can describe it. Like molded.

I took them out of the jar and the buds have no odor, the jar has no odor, so I put them back into the jar. About four hours later, I went and opened the jar again, and damn it stinks.

I took the buds out for two more days and put them back in the paper bag, everything is fine, I put them back in the jar, checked on them in a few hours, and damn it stinks.

Will someone please tell me what is going on and if this is normal or what ?
Thanks and Regards

Was anything kept in the jar before the weed? Do the stems snap when bent?

Stinking Buds must be destroyed as soon as possible.

Total destruction by fire in the bowl of a pipe works pretty good.

Thanks for responding SB and PTG.
The glass jar is a mason jar that is used for canning vegetables and such. It is brand new and nothing has ever been stored in it before.

Yes, the stems snap when bent. I was afraid that I rushed the drying, but I really think they are dried.
Thanks and Regards

Hello Ms. Fox, Yes Ma'am. He cut them and brought them to my house and gave them to me. I took them and hung them upside down in the closet. It has been two weeks now.
I have them back in the brown paper bag now. I thried putting a litle bit back in the jar yesterday, left it about two hours, opened the jar and it still stinks. It smells like real real strong brewed tea. Does now smell out of the jar, only when I put it in there and leave it a little while.

Thanks for Responding Ms. Fox I don't want this to happen when I start growing, and that is supposed to be pretty soon. I have some seeds on order now, should be a couple of weeks.

Hell, how can I grow, when I can't even dry and cure? Ha Ha.

Sounds like to me that your ready to smoke sum stinky weed, flame on ...:thumb::lot-o-toke::peacetwo:

Stinking Buds must be destroyed as soon as possible.
Total destruction by fire in the bowl of a pipe works pretty good.

Smoke those buds! How do they taste?

OK Ozric & Herb Fellow I am going to smoke some tonight.

Yeh, Lil Stinker, mine is doing the same thing. I take the lid off for a few minutes and everything is fine again.

Thanks Guys. Thanks a Bunch for responding. I just love this place.

A friend gave me a handful of buds. All I know about the plant is that they were sativas and grown outoors.

I hung them up in a dark closet with the door cracked open, in my air conditioned house for seven days. I then put them in a brown paper bag for four days and everything was fine, I thought.

I then put them in a clean glass jar and sealed the lid on it. After about five hours I went and got the jar and looked at it and there was no moisture forming on the inside of the jar and I opened the jar to let them breathe.

UNBELIEVABLE the stink. It smells like real strong, days old brewed tea that someone left the bags in it is the only way I can describe it. Like molded.

I took them out of the jar and the buds have no odor, the jar has no odor, so I put them back into the jar. About four hours later, I went and opened the jar again, and damn it stinks.

I took the buds out for two more days and put them back in the paper bag, everything is fine, I put them back in the jar, checked on them in a few hours, and damn it stinks.

Thanks and Regards

Sounds to me as though the buds you have are from a SSH sativa whos phenotype whos aroma was leaning towards the peppery spice smells I have smelled that acrid tea aroma before as well but it only smalls really nasty untill the clorophyl starts to break down.

Thanks Cateros, It is getting better now. I am opening the jar about every 4 hours and it is going away slowly. Getting better and better.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I was panicking, because I really do want these smokes. I think another day or two, everything will be fine.

Another learning experience for me.

Thanks and Regards

Well, have you looked around the closet to see if anything died in it. That could be why you have smell in there.

At the same time, isn't stinky what you're going for? I know that's what I would be going for.

But I would check out the closet to see if there are any things in the closet that are causing the smell. After all, if the buds aren't stinking when you pull them out, that seems reasonable.

gl!

Actually ment to mention this a while back but when curing your trying to bring out the strongest of its natural flavours and as you say the aroma is that of strong brewed tea.

Well Tea just like Cannabis is an herb and if you go take a look at greenhouse seeds I think they have a flavour wheel there that shows all other underlying scents that should be accompanying a tea scent the main things is you have never said it has a mouldy nasty acrid aroma as long as it only has the aroma of some type of herb, in your case it should be all good. Ill see if I can find the flavour wheel see if there is a scent listed that you can compare to what y our smelling then look at what other scents can be found accompanying your main aroma and see if you find any similarities, But One final note there is a strain of bud called dog shit and thats what it smells like wether its still on the plant or picked and dried it does smell like dog shit.

Have you got any mold on the buds,is it smokable, are the buds dry, just wondering ? :tokin:

He's saying it smells stinky like old used up tea bags, which in no regard would I want my buds to smell like. Was you stuff just some mid grade or was it sensi?

LMAO, No Sensibowl, there is nothing dead in the closet. The closet smells fine. The smell is from the bud whenever I open the jar to let it burp, or breathe, or whatever you call it. Thanks.

Hello Cateros, I would be interested in finding that flavour wheel too. Sounds interesting and something I would would like to look at for other strains also.
Yeh,, man It might be " Labrador " You know, Where the dog ate the stash? Ha Ha. Thanks again Man.

Hey Orzic, What's happening Man? Yeh, The buds were hung up for a week, put into a paper bag for a few days, No mold, and stems snapped when I bent them, and dry and crispy.

I was given the buds on Saturday, Sept, 25. There was no bad odor all the way through the drying process. only when I started curing in the glass jar. When I first opened the jar, It Stunk.

I am still curing them in the glass jar as of today, BUT they are smelling GOOD ! now. Smells a little bit like sweet iced tea, which I love anyway.
Been VERY busy lately and have not smoked any yet, but can hardly wait til I can though. Should not be much longer. Maybe another two or three days I am going to try burning one !

I looked up the greenhouse seed flavour wheel of course this is supposed to relate directly to there strains but from looking it over you can see the scents that are similar are found together.

Ye ask and Ye shall Receive this flavour whell while geard toward the greenhouse strains and there scent but I have noticed from other strains that flavours and aromas that that they share can be tracked in the flavour wheel.

Back
Top Bottom