Why hold it in?

JDJP

ITs just the way we learned right? take a hit, hold it it. But, does it get you higher the longer you hold it in? or does it make a diference if you hold it in at all?

I was having this discussion with a friend, and I want to see whos right.

I know everyone is going to have an opinion, but I'm looking for some scientific evidence.

yeah i'm pretty sure i'd get high too if i didn't breath for 21 seconds. when i was younger i used to try holding hits for as long as possible. i'm sure a lot of people have played "baseball" as my buddy calls it, (holding in a hit from a bat until it comes back around) but i always felt like i got a headache from no oxygen. 4 seconds isn't so bad though, i might have to start counting in my head...

IMO, I only hold for longer periods of time (15-20 secs) when I vape, since the vapor is all the good stuff. When smoking, I found 5 seconds works best for me. I also heard that point before about 80% of the good cannabinoids being absorbed in the first for seconds, so I just figured why not hold for an extra second to get about 100% of it.

I seem to remember that many smaller hits get you higher as oppose to one big hit.

hmm a little of both answers....that's how I feel about it, lol

an additional question that seems relevant --
Smoke a big bowl all at once, or split it into mini hits?

**edit - lol - posted this b4 seeing Brett's op. Anyone else?

I feel there should be an on-going and live experiment here to prove it?

O.K., I'm holding this one for four seconds...

Hmmm, no problem, good taste, desire another.

Now this one I will hold for at least 20 seconds and we'll see what happens...

Still Holding it - (30 second delay)

(Exhales slowly.... coughs mildly...)

FEELS ALOT HIGHER TO ME!

So much for scientific study.

i remember this subject not too long ago. it seems like the 4 sec thing was put forward as truth. i've gotten to where i just enjoy a few small hits rather than one big hit. its easier on the lungs and the stash. i also enjoy the occasional nose hit.

i will continue to research this topic, starting now.

I never said anything about the amount of time you hold the hit in, just the size of the hit, the volume of the smoke if you will. Besides, I would rather smoke out of a small bowl that only holds several hits when smoking highs, that way you don't lose flavor and texture when you get down on the bowl. Big bowls have a cashed taste towards the end when there are still 3-4 decent hits left. But taking many small volume hits is what I was told makes you higher than one ginormous one, but on the other hand coughing (generally caused by a big hit) will make you higher because you are getting smoke into areas of the lungs where it generally isn't, as well as opening capillaries and absorbing more into your body.

While I agree with you, I can't help but take the biggest hit my lungs can hold. And I've gotten quite the capacity of the years of training. Maybe I should slow down.

My family (that don't know) are amazed when it's time to blow up the kids inflatables...I can usually do 3 for every 1 someone else does, lmao

Based on this evidence, maybe I should slow down a bit too...

Nah! - I'll just quit cigarettes!!! Yeah!

That's the ticket. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Its mostly just habit for me, but when i would smoke I would hold in for 5-10 secs then start to exhale and suck it all back in a few times, or take a hit hold it in real deep and tight then take another one or two, until i feel like i'm gonna explode then exhale. But me and my friends used to just do stuff like that for fun, not for any practical reason, although it gave me a head rush because i think of the lack of oxygen.

I will admit that a bigger hit will get you higher, which seems logical, as the 80% / 4 second thing seems to be regardless of how much THC is getting absorbed. So bigger hit = more THC in the same amount of time. Which explains why gravity bongs always get me so ripped even though I only hold them for a few seconds before coughing my lungs up. Even so, I prefer a more casual smoking experience.

Actually, Ive found out that the longer you hold a hit in, the more you cough.
the more you cough, the higher you get... but that could be only me...

Actually, Ive found out that the longer you hold a hit in, the more you cough.
the more you cough, the higher you get... but that could be only me...

What you say is true, but you also have to understand, what you blow out, is mostly carbon monoxide, and holding that in... It'll mess up your lungs over the long distance of time. Good strong bud, if you don't hold it, will make one cough anyway.

I don't hold for more than a few seconds, and I still get stoned pretty good. If it's good shit, it'll get you high almost any way you smoke it.

Some stoners in Cali get upset if you don't hold it more than a few seconds or smoke a blunt or a joint like a cigarette, which is what I do. I like to enjoy my cannabis and if you're relaxed, the stony high feeling is not too far away. I enjoy pot, not smoke it like a crackhead and hold for 20 seconds, zeroing out the smoke.

Back
Top Bottom