Why Humboldt County Will Survive Marijuana Legalization

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
I doubt the first pot pioneers in Humboldt County, referred to as “back-to-the-landers” during the late 1960s, realized they might someday sow the seeds for an industry which could financially bail out the state of California.

In a delightful, ironic twist, those intrepid pioneers who fled the establishment to seek a simpler way of life must now re-establish contact with the “man” if they want to survive legalization and maintain their way of life.

Most fear legalization. They worry their profit margin will shrink so badly -- from taxes and competition -- they won't be able to make a living. Some ask if growing for medical marijuana dispensaries will be enough to keep them in business.

The good news is that growers, law enforcement officials, nonprofits and city governments are already holding public meetings to work out what happens here after legalization. One of the first meetings, held in Garberville (Southern Humboldt) in March, was covered nationwide.

What's After Pot (WAP) founder Anna Hamilton spoke during the Garberville meeting about the need to save the pot economy and prepare for legalization. She's attempting to bring local growers together so they can adapt to paying taxes and becoming part of the system they ran away from 40 years ago.

In preparation for legalization, a task force headed up by Humboldt County Supervisor Mark Lovelace was formed to define regulatory issues surrounding grows.

The Humboldt Medical Marijuana Advisory Panel (HuMMAP) works to organize growers, businesses and employees of the cannabis industry. They held their second meeting on May 18 at the Garberville Civic Club.

Humboldt County's famous “killer buds” are already a brand name that can be utilized to encourage tourism by creating businesses that appeal to pot smokers.

I suspect we've had tourists coming here for that covert reason ever since the word slipped out about strains like “Granddaddy Purple” and others that raised the bar in worldwide cannabis culture.

Some locals feel we could become the Napa Valley of the weed world, with our exotic strains and innovative growers. Our products would find their niche in the market because of the demand for quality among discriminating users.

Competition will come from Mendocino and Trinity counties, which have their own reputation for quality marijuana. The quality of indoor cannabis versus outdoor will continue to be a factor. In addition, there will be massive grows when big business digs into the fertile marijuana market.

Smart growers are already networking with each other, staying in contact with organizations like NORML, and preparing to adapt to the new business model.

I believe Humboldt County will adapt to legalization because its economy needs pot revenue, and has for decades. There has always been an unspoken alliance between growers and business owners. It's an economic factor in keeping the local economy afloat. Jobs have been scarce, and few pay better than trimmers, since the decline of the lumber mills and fishing.

We have unique Humboldt blogs that reflect our weed culture, such as High Like Me, Humboldtage, Humboldt Grow, Humboldt Living, Redheaded Blackbelt and Sohum Parlance II, that contain information on everything marijuana from cultivation to local prices.

The news they provide daily often makes it into the mainstream media, such as Southern Humboldt Kym Kemp's (Redheaded Blackbelt) unique stories about growers in her community. We already have a grassroots network of growers, bloggers, merchants, nonprofits and city officials to meet the challenge of legalization. That proactive attitude will make the difference between success and failure.

Everyone has to wait until the new rules are laid out. I don't see that as a roadblock, just the settling in of a new reality. Keep in mind, marijuana has thrived in Humboldt County for decades. The culture it's created is woven into the very fabric of our communities.

There's no place in the United States with a longer, more complex relationship between the public, marijuana growers, law enforcement and merchants. Legalizing pot is the final destination on a road that has had many detours since those first “back-to-the-landers” planted seeds in our fertile soil.

As it stands, independent spirits are common behind the Redwood Curtain, and their marketing ability will come through when Californians are legally allowed to partake of pot.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: times-standard.com
Author: Dave Stancliff
Copyright: 2010 Times-Standard
Website: As It Stands: Why Humboldt County will survive marijuana legalization - Times-Standard Online

I still say the 'big commercial interests' may... May think they will have the upper hand, however as long as 'mom&pot' growers exist there is always room for growth... they could survive (with proper planning and cooperation) on growing 'home-label' pot! Just like the Napa is famous for grapes... maintaining open-pollinated strains of Cannabis could not only be lucrative but sustain important strains of lines to prevent an homogenization of the genetics... and just like we have with modern agriculture and Corn or Soy Beans... limited diversity and hybridization to the detriment of open pollinated non-hybrid strains. They will serve an important role in the survival of the species over-all. Seed production will be approaching a 'boutique' level for all you interested investors out there...:yummy:

This is my first post after introducing myself. I live in Santa Cruz County, and I see the same potential for weed tourism here as in Humboldt. Unless I'm just not aware of it, there doesn't seem to be an organized effort here to capitalize on the possible legalization in California. Most of the growers I talk to think it will be the end of the world for them. Does anyone here know if there are any organizations like those mentioned in Humboldt?

I can understand their concern that big corporations will get into the game and force the little guys out, but it seems to me the window of time between legalization in California, and future federal legalization will be a period when the big interests are not in yet, giving local growers time to stake out their turf and prepare to defend it.

This law is a total sham and will cost California residents large sums of money and increaset risk of jail time if passed! It`s all about the money people! There is nothing in this bill for the average MJ smoker to gain and everything to lose!!! Vote NO in November! Tax,Regulate and control someone else`s mind ! Shame on you Oaksterdam,Normal,ASA!

This law is a total sham and will cost California residents large sums of money and increaset risk of jail time if passed! It`s all about the money people! There is nothing in this bill for the average MJ smoker to gain and everything to lose!!! Vote NO in November! Tax,Regulate and control someone else`s mind ! Shame on you Oaksterdam,Normal,ASA!

I disagree. It's not the law I would write, but it's the one on the ballot, the only one. 215 was not perfect, but I voted for it instead of stamping my feet, and it helped change California culture over time, not overnight, but over time.

I dont hang out with people under 21, so the penalties you are talking about do not really affect me. The penalties for giving alcohol to underage people are pretty stiff too, yet lots of people do it every day and lots of it gets winked at.

Changing California law will put pressure on the Feds to justify our nations cannabis laws. We all know they can't. What they do, is play kick the can, and not passing this law lets them kick it one more time.

Many other states are looking to California for their clue to move, just like always, they look to California to lead. We must not disappoint them, we must lead the charge now that we have the opportunity.

Laws can always be modified, who is to say that after this law is passed, amendments are not made, or it may even be expanded due to court challenges, the important thing is to grab this foothold.

A foothold is what this is, it is not the entire journey. The fight for legal cannabis will be long, this is only a battle, and it is important to show our resolve.

:peace:

I disagree. It's not the law I would write, but it's the one on the ballot, the only one. 215 was not perfect, but I voted for it instead of stamping my feet, and it helped change California culture over time, not overnight, but over time.

I dont hang out with people under 21, so the penalties you are talking about do not really affect me. The penalties for giving alcohol to underage people are pretty stiff too, yet lots of people do it every day and lots of it gets winked at.

Changing California law will put pressure on the Feds to justify our nations cannabis laws. We all know they can't. What they do, is play kick the can, and not passing this law lets them kick it one more time.

Many other states are looking to California for their clue to move, just like always, they look to California to lead. We must not disappoint them, we must lead the charge now that we have the opportunity.

Laws can always be modified, who is to say that after this law is passed, amendments are not made, or it may even be expanded due to court challenges, the important thing is to grab this foothold.

A foothold is what this is, it is not the entire journey. The fight for legal cannabis will be long, this is only a battle, and it is important to show our resolve.

:peace:

I agree completely. We cannot pass up this opportunity. We can work the details out as we go along. :thumb:

:peace:[/QUOTE

This bill would make it a penalty of 1-3 years if caught smoking near a person under 21.You don`t need to hang out with persons under 21, just be near them.The law does not define what near is,the police and courts will deside that Is my gess.It also means any person under 21 who is caught will no longer recieve a ticket but will do 1-3 years time.Do you have any family under 21 that may smoke MJ? My bet is you do even if you don`t know about it.

Just changing California law will not be enough pressure to change anything.When we first were in a gas crisses the Feds made it national law to drive at 55 mph to save fuel.California`s speed limit was 70 mph.California refused to change this until the Feds threatened to withhold all Fedral funds to California.So who do you think won that arguement? Yep and the Feds have alot more options in there tool chest if they chews to go that way.

I agree that other states look to Cali to lead the way to MJ reform.I feel we are obligated to get it write for just that reason.Yes laws can be modified but this would be a law made by the people and only a vote of the people could change this law.The backers of this law,Oaksterdam, are spending hugh amounts of money trying to get this passed in November.Moneys made from selling medical marijuana.How much do you think they would spend to keep this greedy money making law in place once passed? It is very unlikely to be amended ,again it can not be amended by the state or the courts.The courts don`t even make laws they only inturpet them and inforce them.

This is not the foot hold the backers claim it is,it`s about them being able to sell to non medical users and forcing those users to have to come to them to buy there marijuana.It`s about commercial and goverment control of the people! It has nothing to do with freedom or advancing the rights of marijuana users.I wish it did because I`d be behind that all the way! We do need reform and bad, but we shouldn`t jump out of the fry pan and into the fire.:bong:

Dude...I hate to say this, but you are seriously misinformed. Your article contains quite a few inaccuracies, and frankly, comes off as quite glib... I don't get how somebody who apparently lives in Missouri thinks he knows everything about life in Humboldt County, CA.

First off, I assure you, some of the very first pot growers in Humboldt County absolutely DID envision starting an enduring enterprise that would contribute to the State's overall economy...and that is exactly what they did, even though it was illegal, at the time. Cannabis dollars have been an invisible pillar, supporting the California economy, for at least the last 30 years.

Secondly, you assert that most growers "fear" legalization...not true, but most folks up here have developed a more sophisticated understanding of the issue, and many are opposed to TC 2010, for several good reasons, which will take some time to explain.

Right now, small-time Mom & Pop medical growers are actually in a semi-sweet spot, legally. Because the plant limits imposed by SB420 were declared unconstitutional, growers can breathe a little easier with respect to how many plants they can grow(Wise growers always stay below numbers that would get them a Federal Mandatory Minimum). But if TC2010 passes, courts might rule that the TC 2010 plant limits(a five foot by five foot plot) applies to medical patients...this is a very small garden, indeed, especially by Humboldt standards.

Furthermore, the assertion that Humboldt can just turn to pot tourism is naive, on so many levels...the reality of life on the ground in a real-life, back-country organic pot farm run by REAL dreadlocked California hippies is less than glamorous. I could see the wineries adding herb to their menus, maybe, but when weed is legal everywhere in Cali, there will be no special reason to go to Humboldt...

TC 2010 also allows local governments to set up their own laws, relating to marijuana...this will likely result in interminable legal squabbling - just look at the history of medical marijuana. We have had to fight, hard, for the situation we currently have, and now we are faced with the prospect of having the game changed suddenly, by one petulant and wealthy club owner.
We might end up with MORE regulation of "legal" marijuana, more taxes, less access, and fewer rights...is it any wonder many of us are thinking that maybe the next move on the legalization front ought to take place at the Federal level, or at least the State legislature. We are tired of being the battleground for marijuana.

Yes, we independent spirits are plentiful, back here, behind the "Emerald Curtain"...we live free, we think fee, and we don't necessarily jump on every bandwagon that rolls into town, that happens to be playing our tune...

Who are the Humboldt growers these days?

The Great Hippie Migration to Humboldt, Mendocino, and Del Norte Counties, in the late 60's and early 70's was a cultural phenomenon. Growing and smoking weed was an intrinsic, and maybe even a spiritual, part of that culture.

But in the 80's and 90's, things changed when the grow operations were expanded and commercialized by more violent and hard edge individuals. That's when we started hearing of armed guards in the woods and booby trapped crops.

Some of these new growers were outright criminals seeking new opportunities in cultivation. Many were Ex-Hippies, who had served time and were made into criminals and hardened by the War on Drugs.

Mom and Pop Hippie still grew, smoked, and sold Humboldt Green, but the bulk of the commercial crops were controlled by the new Cartels who were eventually able to exert their influence over local politics, law enforcement, and business.

So, to repeat my question:

Who exactly are the "Humboldt Growers" these days?

Back
Top Bottom