Why I Chuckle When I See Fancy Cloning Gizmos - Rambling

I've had a couple plants in vegetative growth since last year some time. I don't think they're a year old yet, but they're getting there. I keep telling myself, "No flowering until you get a pH probe," but then it seems like every time I get $35 together I end up blowing it on frivolous stuff like food, water, electricity (lol).

The tops of the plants sort of self-prune - allowing them to grow right up into a 350-watt (actual) good quality LED panel will take care of that ;) . But there is, of course, lots of little branchy growth all over the place. So back in October or November, I realized I had about 1.5 cubic feet of Happy Frog and .5 cubic feet of perlite, and a great big sack of plastic cups.

So every time I got bored I mean saw that the plants needed a trim, I took a bunch of cuttings, angle-cut their ends, scraped the lower stem a little, and stuck them into a cup of 3:1 Happy Frog / perlite. When the cuttings looked like they were 99.995% dead from lack of moisture, I watered them. No fancy machines (commercial or home-built).

All Winter long, lol, if it was above freezing and you were at a local department or grocery store and came back to your vehicle after shopping to discover a Jack Herer or Kali Mist clone sitting against your windshield shivering, lol, well... Your welcome.

I have some wonderful stuff by Olivia's. Cloning gel and a solution to (dilute and) feed new cuttings. I didn't bother using it once. Just cut, scrape, and stick. NEXT, lol. I didn't even trim fan leaves. I think I lost... two. One got played with by a cat, the other got left in the shed and froze.

Obviously, I wasn't doing this for production, and I wasn't in any kind of hurry. Cloning aids do tend to save time. But they're about as necessary as your own personal Concorde :rolleyes3 .

I let one go too long in its cup the other day, figured I'd better trim it because the thing was too top heavy, its cup kept falling over. Whack. Went back out to the shed the next day and saw the mess, it looked like a pile of wilted leaf lettuce, lol. I was pitching the refuse into the pile when I thought... I bet there's still enough soil left in the bottom folds of the bag for one more. Hmm, no cup. So I cut the top off of an old water bottle I had for a watering container. poured the soil mix in. The stem was literally so wilted that I had to pour some back out and backfill as I held the cutting. I let go and the top of the cutting drooped clear to the counter. Gave it a good watering, tamped the soil down a little, and stuck it where it could get some light. I looked at it three hours later and it was standing proud. A few days after that, it was drooping heavily again (wasn't quite laying down). Gave it water again - and it stood right back up again. A few days after THAT... I can see that enough roots have already grown that there is one two or three inches long along the side of the water bottle.

When we get hungry or thirsty, we go to the kitchen. When a plant does, it increases root growth - in effect, it's doing the same thing that every other organism does - it "goes looking" for nourishment.

Needless to say, I do not bother with humidity domes. I want my cuttings to become thirsty. Thirsty plants seek moisture (aka "grow more roots"), and a fresh cutting does not have a lot of stored energy to draw upon. Seems like a good idea to "let it know" where its priority is.

Now... WtF am I going to do with yet another plant, lol? Anyone heading to ChinaMart want to stop by and pick this thing up? People are buying supplies for their vegetable gardens, surely you can find a truck to set it in the bed of. Who knows what great things could spring from one little cutting....

Back
Top Bottom