Why I dislike "Likes"

At first, I thought the "like" button was a good idea. However, I have noticed that the "like" seems to have replaced reputation points to a large degree. This is not a good thing imo. Reputations points are a valuable tool to members and I'm afraid that they are being replaced by "likes".

wow,,, do i "like" this or not... choices,, life is full of them..

Make a highly educated and well thought out decision as a cannabis consumer and opt to use both . :)

Just wanted you to know that the further we go along... the more I think you have a point. bu it's like the boss said... it does create positive energy... I'll take it!
I do miss the reps... they just mean more to me!

PS... for the record, I do both still!

At first, I thought the "like" button was a good idea. However, I have noticed that the "like" seems to have replaced reputation points to a large degree. This is not a good thing imo. Reputations points are a valuable tool to members and I'm afraid that they are being replaced by "likes".

I think there is a point there that I agree with - reputation points are still an important form of recognition, and I think some of the newer members, especially, are less aware of reputation points - I know at least one newer member that asked me if a "like" was same as a +rep. I gathered that Hogdady was a fan of the "like" until realizing that it might have been reducing the +reps usage. Maybe the answer is finding a way to make newer users better aware of the "scale" and the +rep systems. Part of the challenge with the rep system is the need to spread it around, by it's nature it keeps the rep system less on the forefront for people I think... But, it's probably necessary to do this to keep things honest and in-check.

I still like "like", but I'll admit I probably overuse it some. It does promote a positive vibe - and there's nothin' wrong with that!

Edit: I realize that I didn't have a solution for making newer users more aware of reps system. Maybe a follow up PM a week or two after someone joins with some reminders on basic site functions or a link on where to find things like this along with a "welcome, how's it going so far..." sort of message? Just a thought...

Just wanted you to know that the further we go along... the more I think you have a point. bu it's like the boss said... it does create positive energy... I'll take it!
I do miss the reps... they just mean more to me!

PS... for the record, I do both still!

Well, positive energy or not, reps have all but disappeared.......

Maybe you guys can create awareness of reps by stating in threads, every time you give reps. "Gave you some rep points for that one bro, nicely done".

Just an idea, hope it helps. ;)
:Namaste:

i have gotten 1 reps since coming on board here at 420Mag!!! but ive gotten quite a few likes though!!! although i must admit that i have not given as many reps as likes... but i have given out the reps to the threads or posts that i feel do deserve them!!!

:peacetwo:

Back
Top Bottom